SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : gosh, golly, jeez and jeepers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

gosh, golly, jeez and jeepers

gosh [euphemism for God] (1757)
used as a mild oath or to express surprise.

golly [euphemism for God] (1775)
used as a mild oath or to express surprise.

jeez [euphemism for Jesus] (ca 1900)
used as a mild oath.

jeepers [euphemism for Jesus]
jeepers creepers [euphemism for Jesus Christ] (1927)
used as a mild oath.

EDIT:

gee2 [euphemism for Jesus] (1895)
used as an introductory expletive or to express surprise or enthusiasm
gee whiz interj (1885): GEE

Source: Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary

2008/9/22 12:42Profile

Re: gosh and jeez

Gee whiz, Wally...

Krispy

2008/9/22 12:51
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
. . . Wally...

You must be talking about "Leave it to Beaver." I actually looked up Wally in the dictionary - when I didn't find anything, a dim recollection rose up in my memory. When I did a search, this is what I found:

Cult TV - A Viewer Guide to the Shows American can't Live Without
Article by John Javna, published in 1985

Main Article
The "golly-gee" world of Leave It to Beaver is vintage white-bread America: our ‘50s fantasies were preserved forever in this series. Ward, June, Wally, and Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver lived in suburban Utopia, in a perfectly arranged household where Dad worked, Mom cooked, and the kids were as wholesome as Wheaties. It seemed similar to other 50 sitcoms, but Beaver had an important difference. In this show, TV looked at children as complete human beings, with their own needs, and personalities, independent of their parent’. What’s more, those parents were imperfect, just like in the real world. Father didn’t always know best on Beaver; though Ward’s advice to this boys sounded wise, it often went awry. But the boys took this in stride, and he remained their number one adviser. June wasn’t big in the wisdom department; she was too busy in the kitchen, fixing cookies and milk. Beaver’s life was centered on his family. But it also encompassed the world outside. He and Wally hung out with Larry, Whitey, Gilbert, and Lumpy. And Eddie, the two-faced jerk who kept this show from turning into pure molasses. Viewers got to know Beaver’s teachers at Grant Avenue Elementary and local characters like Gus, the old coot at the fire station. Mayfield was neat, self enclosed society where people where naturally nice (not counting Eddie) and problems were never too painful - the kind of America we believed in at Beaver’s age and still dream about.

Sidebars:
Half-hour sitcom. CBS/ABC. First aired Oct 4th, 1957. Last show: Sept 12, 1963. Never ranked in the Top 25 shows of a year.

Milestones: The first family sitcom that deal with life from a kid’s point of view. To many fans, it’s the ultimate portrayal of life in white, suburban America in the 50’s. Background: As more American families joined the baby boom, sitcoms featuring young nuclear families came into their own. In 1957, Danny Thomas and Father Knows Best cracked the top 25 for the first time. In 1958, The Donna Reed Show debuted, and the Real McCoys was in the Top 10. In 1959, Dennis the Menace was #16. Beaver, though not as successful in the ratings, was part of the family trend. First: The first sitcom named after a baby boomer; the first toilet ever shown on TV

I also ran into a church using Beaver's famous line as a slogan for a series of sermons . . . ?

2008/9/22 15:55Profile

Re:

lol... you need to get a life! ;-)

Krispy

2008/9/22 16:06
HeartSong

Re:

I am feeling as if I am treading a fine line here. Initially my intention was to make others aware of what these words mean, but now find myself wondering if by "advertising" them, they are being put into peoples consciences . . .

2008/9/22 16:09Profile

Re:

Look bro... I'm just having a little fun with ya. But in reality, my belief is that this is such a minor issue, and really has to do with each persons conviction. Most people say "gosh" or "golly" and never had an ounce of Holy Spirit conviction about it.

I just feel like there are so many issue we all deal with day in and day out that are way more important than whether or not someone uses the word "golly".

Krispy

2008/9/22 16:15
HeartSong

Re:

Last night I had dinner with a person that I had never met before, and in almost every other sentence she used one of these words. While I am sure that she did not know the meaning (isn't it interesting how we have been tricked into using these words without knowing their meaning?), I did - and every time I heard it, it was as blasphemy against the name of my precious Saviour. What is worse, is that because of the other people present, I did not correct her - and I am now left wondering if I should have said something.

It was only a couple of years ago that I found out what these words mean - I was horrified and felt great sorrow to know that all of these years I have been taking the Lord's name in vain.

And then recently I learned even more about taking the Lord's name in vain - oh the things we do in the face of our awesome God.

2008/9/22 16:36Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
... you need to get a life!

He is my life.

2008/9/22 16:40Profile

Re:

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
Last night I had dinner with a person that I had never met before, and in almost every other sentence she used one of these words. While I am sure that she did not know the meaning (isn't it interesting how we have been tricked into using these words without knowing their meaning?), I did - and every time I heard it, it was as blasphemy against the name of my precious Saviour. What is worse, is that because of the other people present, I did not correct her - and I am now left wondering if I should have said something.

It was only a couple of years ago that I found out what these words mean - I was horrified and felt great sorrow to know that all of these years I have been taking the Lord's name in vain.

And then recently I learned even more about taking the Lord's name in vain - oh the things we do in the face of our awesome God.

Oh, I have no doubt these names are referring to God and Jesus. It is blasphemy but some people are just ignorant to it so we just have to bring these things to their attention. If she isn't save this would be a great opportunity to witness to her. You could bring it up the next time you see her. :-)

2008/9/22 17:46
HeartSong

Re:

So that is why He wanted me to have dinner with these people. Oh Lord, why am I so very slow - and here I am complaining when I should be rejoicing!

Thank you Rivqah!

2008/9/22 18:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy