-line from the song [i]Breath of Heaven[/i], also called [i]Mary's Song[/i]

2008/9/20 14:48Profile
HeartSong

Re: A silent prayer

How beautiful!

2008/9/20 14:53Profile
JoanM

Re: Waiting before God - A silent prayer

"[u]The Lord hath waited longer upon me than I have waited upon him ...[/u]” John Bunyan from A DISCOURSE TOUCHING PRAYER, Written in prison (1662), found on Sermonindex 2008.

Even better: "[b]Be still and know that I am God[/b]" Psm. 46:10

2008/9/20 16:49Profile
JoanM

Re: Still and silent

PRAYER
by Bill McLeod
From CRF Revival News – Sprng Edition 2008

"Prayer is not to change God but to change me, so that He can, in the light of His eternal interests, do what He always wanted to do, but could not because I was standing in His way. In Psalm 37:7 it says, “Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him.” In waiting for Him we are simply waiting for Him to answer our prayers and thus to work. However the marginal reading informs us that the Hebrew here actually says, “Be silent to the Lord.” The real idea then is to just be quiet and let Him speak.

Again we read “The Lord is in His holy temple; let all the earth be silent before Him.” Habakkuk 2:20 Then Zechariah 2:13 says, “Be silent O all fl esh before the Lord; for He is raised up out of His holy habitation.” Then again we read, “Be still and know that I am God...” Psalm 46:10. When you put these three texts together you see clearly that God really wants us to be silent (shut up) so we can hear Him speak. We spend a lot of time complaining to God, or telling Him a lot of things He already knows, or questioning what He is doing or not doing in our life. Let us put them all together in a short fashion. “be silent” ... “be silent” ... “be still” ... When will we catch on?

God has much to say and teach us but we are in a big hurry and cannot give God quality time. We want answers NOW. We love to just rush into God’s presence and give Him our demands and wishes and then rush out again. While most believers know our God fi lls the universe, when we get to pray, we think of Him as some little hired servant whom we can turn off and on as we will. Prayer is a slick thing we use to get things changed or moved around so that life is more pleasant.

First of all then we need to ask God with tears to forgive us for treating Him as a sort of non-human creature who is there to make life more pleasant for us. The Bible speaks frequently about us having “fellowship” with God. When does this happen in your life? Does it ever??"

Bill McLeod will be one of the speakers at the [url=http://2008scotland.eventbrite.com/]Revival Conference 2008 - Greenock, Scotland[/url]

2008/9/20 17:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy