SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Kings Kids Culture In The Church: (prosperity teachers hit back)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Kings Kids Culture In The Church: (prosperity teachers hit back)

From time to time i tune in to hear what the large platform ministries are saying! And what their theme is to (the body of Christ) Not that i do this to (heresy hunt) as such. But simply to find out what they are NOW saying. And mind you i can do all this from the safety Of my lounge room (for free) without paying the $25.00 registration fee others haply pay for the previledge of attending their conferences and seminars ;-)

And Lately (much to my surprise) i have found that they are talking about money management and finances (surpise surprise). And a lot of talk on this issue of "the churches role in establishing the kingdom of God in the earth" THY KINGDOM COME is not future they say, it is HERE and NOW! However i don't wish to digress TALKING ABOUT THAT. Choosing rather instead to stay with the OP'S title!

You see wether you realize it or not or wether you care or don't? The big platform PREACHERS are "hitting back" at those that have fired salvos and mortars at the message of wealth and prosperity... and them who occupy the internet! the (alleged heresy hunters ) who - over the years have fired ONE salvo after another ... giving warning about the dangers of riches! But that said here now are some of the things they are now saying to defend personal gain!

Counter salvos fired lately on the air-waves!
( back at us ) the would-be-heresy (hunters)

** Ohh it's okay for a doctor to show up to his practise in a beamer! We expect them to and (in fact) wnobody blinks an eye-lid over it! But if a pastor shows up in a beamer (Bmw) to church, we go ... ahh what! What's this. (tut tut tut)
** It's okay to talk about money in public such as (supermarket, workplace, corner store, bank and post -office) But if we talk about money "in church" ohh ... you can't do that, that's not right brother, don't talk about money here.
** ( And this ) When Jesus confronted the rich young ruler about his riches. Yes he did say
is was HARD for them that trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! BUT not IMPOSSIBLE ... Hard, but not impossible!
** (AND THIS) The apostle in first Timothy did not say money is EVIL! He said the LOVE of money is the root of evil (end Quote)
** ( other things said of late) Is appealing to the COMMONWEALTH Israel enjoyed as a nation! Still others cite Dueteronomy 28 Where God says it is he who gives power to get wealth. Some are even referencing the Roman catholic church with it's vast vatican city wealth as being a smart thing that the contempory church would do well to emulate. After all - the church is a business!

But let's have a look at some of those present day arguments. Now whilst the admonition in Timothy does talk about the LOVE of MONEY being the primary RISK. However to conclude by this that the use (of) money does not carry RISKS and DANGERS on its own... is both foolhardy and presumptious (at best)

If this rationale were true: That money only becomes evil if we (love it) then this would eliminate many other passsages in scripture that caution to the contrary. For example simon the sorceror in book of Acts who offered to GIVE money AWAY! To peter and John. That was not loving money but the giving away of money. And notice carefully that ( SIMON WANTED TO GIVE MONEY AWAY - NOT GET MONEY) So having money in his possession was still enough to bring great shame upon him. This debunks the notion that only love of money is wrong (no)?

Ponder this thought also....beloved

WITHOUT MONEY THE FRIDAY NIGHT RAGERS COULD NOT GET OFF THEIR FACE ON ALCOHOL. HAVING MONEY STILL GETS THEM INTO STRIFE! Without (loving it) They are simply offloading wages earned! yet money and possession of money still lands them into much strife on the night on many an occasion I.e fights, drunk driving, drug use. Etcetera Etcetera

Truth is wether we LOVE money or NOT it is still described in the bible and epistles as "filthy"

I will now further illustrate my own defence by citing (3) PASSAGES OF SCRIPTURE...

(ITIM 3:3) Not greedy of FILTHY lucre. (1 TITUS 1:11) teaching things they ought not for filthy lucre's sake. (1 peter 5:2) Taking the oversight willingly and not for filthy lucre. So we can see plainly wether we love money or not love money. It is still described as (FILTHY). Furthermore Paul is addressing the dark-side of money in first Timothy! BEING behind most things that are dark and sinister in society. All the more reason why (not to) get caught up in its chase or lure. Paul Indeed makes his case well in (1st timothy) saying. We brought nothing into the world and we can certainly take nothing out! He goes on to say having food and raiment let us therewith be content. He finishes off his presentation by enforcing this fact " Is not love of money behind most of societies evils today? behind all evil is their not a lust for money! Desire for gain has in it a downward spiral that plunges men into destruction and perdition (is also his point) But it is actually a course many choose to pursue in life. But the results speak for themselves with Riches drowning men in both destruction and perdition. ( they sink and drown in it )

Paul clearly warns young Timothy not to go after wealth and riches. As it by nature genders toward hurt and risk! (which while some have coveted after have erred from the faith) You don't need to chase, run, or to pursue after the things of this world (beloved) As God has the situation "well in hand" - before you even ask!

But kingdom culture "kings kids" (have hit back) saying: " So God wants our kids to go hungry and without? struggle to pay bills? to wear old clothes? To live impoverished and struggle to make ends meet? and to feed our families"?

And when the doctor? The lawyer, and The politician drive around in lavish sports cars and we say nothing against that! then such things are used as counter claims in their defence of wealth- to them in the past that have warned of the dangers of riches!

But clearly some do have wealth in this world and are rich! And are christians! So are they living in sin? are they bad people? and what about the age old arguments of Abraham, Job and Solomon having and possessing great wealth? But Again all these things are used as counter arguments to defend personal gain and To shield against mortars and shells fired at the current modern prosperity message! Do they have a point? and what is the balance? What is the bibles position then on wealth?

Well let me say first that quite frankly I don't have the time to get into it fully now. Suffice to say Abraham's wealth was not something he sought after or coveted! And in the second instance (his aquired wealth) with that king sending him away with great substance. It was clearly a situation (where God) turned his captivity and turned the captivity ot that gentile living nation! ( but he abraham didn't seek the wealth -it literally fell into his hands)

However: The mistake modern christians make (in contrast) to Abraham is they go after the wealth, they seek it ( the wealth) saying its my right, it's my inheritance, it's mine for the taking! And they will haply quote us 3john 2 to support their position on having gain. But in doing so they set their affections on things below. But Contrarywise Abraham walked in covenant relationship with God with his affections on things above! And the wealth and assets he acquired were handed over to him. Now i seem to recall a passage of scripture that says "all these things shall be (added) unto you" If you seek first the kingdom! Abraham experieced addition on that day, but the funny thing is, he didn't pursue it or desire It. It came into his hands and fell into the hands of a man whose heart was clearly - in the right place before God!

Modern prosperity teachers however are currently telling their followers to "GO AFTER WEALTH" And that their silly if they don't go after it.

BALAAM Went after the rewards of divination on offer. But was rebuked in the end by a dumb ass for his iniquity! TELLING US TO GO AFTER RICHES! YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME? WHAT ADVICE OR COUNSEL IS THAT? -- When we Suppose gain is godliness!

If you listen to Any message that says (go after wealth) And that same message does not incorporate A (seek first the kingdom) attached to it! (OR) teach it's followers to remember the poor! Or does not balance the equation with a message of contentment that knows how to be full and to be empty, to both abound and be abased no matter whatsoever state - you find yourself in. Then beloved that message has razor blades cloaked (inside it) that will leave you cut, bleeding and dissapointed! It was Jesus and (not me) that cautioned not to lay up treasures on earth - where moth and rust do corrupt and where theives break through and enter. And further to that ...Need we be remind ourselves again from ephesians and colossians "that no coveteous person will inherit the kingdom of God and heaven"

Recently i was put to the test on these very issues myself! Where i had to take joyfully the spoiling of my goods" as spoken of from Hebrews chapter ten and book of Corinthians verse that says... "in perils among robbers" (let me explain)

I came home recently from work to find that my house had been ransacked and robbed - taking my wifes jewelery other possesions and belongings.
My reaction was (its just worldly goods ) they can take it! I don't care. Material goods can be replaced...but they can never take him (THAT IS CHRIST) Away from my HEART! Nor steal my faith! I honestly did take it (joyfully) And rejoiced in God my saviour! To be Sure i was unsettled by it. As they have invaded my personal property and space. Its both intrusive and invasive! But as for the goods... well Jesus did warn "thieves may break through and steal" So All the more reason why we should lay-up for ourselves (treasures in heaven) where we have an enduring and eternal substance! The earth is the Lords and the fullness therof (anyhow). And As paul said its all going to be ours one day! So why (give in) to coveteousness? or pursue the things of this world? Let God prosper you according to his all sufficiency! And the rest will take care of itself! He knows our needs before we petition him. So rest in his faithfulness (both to give and to distribute) And As a famous sonwriter pianist once said - and i quote " The Lord said he'd take care of the rest...you betta believe it, he'll take care offfff ...the rest

Pursue God not wealth. He owns it all anyway! Let him add and proportion it out! Let him be "heavens banker" and "supplier of need" Dont take matters into your own hands plotting and scheming! Trying to use the bible as some formula for financial success. Abraham had wealth and spiritual riches because he was a godly man that walked in (covenant relationship) with his maker (as did Job). However job's assets were all taken away from him - in one day! But what did he do? how did he take it? He said blessed be the name of the Lord... THe Lord gave and the Lord took! I wonder if todays prophets of prosperity faced with the same delimena (as Job) had - would react in a way (that sees themselves going to cut themselves like the prophets of baal) in book of kings? Or would they rejoice at the spoiling of their goods. Job rejoiced! It's only material goods - he thought.

kay ser rah, ser rah ( what ever will be, will be)

You see Job - if i can say it had a very philosophical approach to money and wealth. whereas his wife on the other hand said "doth thou still retain thy integrity? you should curse God and die... and be done with it! But Jobs reply was swift and fast "why should we serve God in good times and not bad" You speak as one of the foolish women do !!

But moving on now: One of the churches in the book of revelation ( Smyrna) was told that Jesus was fully aware of their poverty! However Jesus had this message of consolation for them ( You are rich ) in fact (very rich) because You have ME! you have your faith! and you have an eternal and enduring substance!

But what about those who are rich in this world?Paul's answer in reply to this question about them BEING RICH among (God's people) but yet being (saved) is that they should be charged and admonished! Being preached the following:

~~ Be not high minded...
~~ Dont trust in uncertain & volatile riches.
~~ TRUST in the living God (instead)!
~~ That they ... do good
~~ Be RICH in good works
~~ BE Ready to DISTRIBUTE
~~ AND Ready to communicate (not stuck-up or posh)

What would be interesting in closing is to know what the reaction of preachers and christians alike would be if they lost money in the CURRENT global credit crisis that has hit our financial markets? With the loss of stocks, shares and superannuations (going backwards) What would your reaction be? To rejoice? or "down in the mouth" (Got the Grumps) And woe is me! or do you know that in heaven ... you have an enduring and eternal SUBSTANCE - that fadeth not away?

Remembering Above all else ...godliness with contenment is great gain! ( and not vica-versa) as some suppose. remembering above all else that godliness with CONTENTMENT is GREAT GAIN....

A man might say - how can great gain be found in contentment? Isn't gain measured by accumulation and possession of things? So thus we conclude along with the apostle that contentment is a great virtue and something you can covet without either risk or guilt attached to it !!

Do we have the right perspective on wealth? That is the burning question? For where our treasure is... there will be our HEART be found also. NO man can serve two masters and come away at the end of it (loving both equally)! can he :-o

2008/9/19 23:03Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re: Kings Kids Culture In The Church: (prosperity teachers hit back)

Any takers beloved? any thoughts or comments?
remember though... be nice :-) No one? maybe it's a case of let the message do the talking then!

2008/9/20 1:35Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[i]Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)[/i] Php 3:17

A pox on them. [i]Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.[/i] Jas 5:2 There is a right perspective to be had and it will never be grasped by burrowing down into the contortions of the conspirators and eking out a mangled piece of truth here and there. That would be the closest analogy to trading salvos and is a waste of time in my estimation, the only real resolution is that it be destroyed, wholesale - What little truth it contains is so decimated that it contaminates the whole.

Quote:
If that rationale were true: That money only becomes evil if we (love it) then such rationale totally discards instances in scripture like simon the sorceror who offered to GIVE money AWAY! And was rebuked by peter. That was not loving money but giving money away ( yet he still got into deep strife) and notice ( SIMON WANTED TO GIVE MONEY AWAY - NOT GET MONEY, AND YET MONEY STILL GOT HIM INTO DEEP STRIFE)

That's not correct. Simon sought to [i]purchase[/i]- ... [i] he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.[/i] Act 8:19

Quote:
So you see plainly wether you love money or not - money is still described as (FILTHY)

Only in it's proper context brother, how it is gained, [i]why[/i] it is gained, the motivations and purposes is what makes it "filthy" not the currency itself.

[i]For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.[/i]
Tit 1:10,11

"Whose mouths must be stopped" goes without saying, there is no engagement ...

[b]Tit 1:11 -
Whose mouths must be stopped[/b] - The word here rendered stopped - ἐπιστομιζειν epistomizein - occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. It means, properly, to check, or curb, as with a bridle; to restrain, or bridle in; and then, to put to silence. It is, of course, implied here that this was to be done in a proper way, and in accordance with the spirit of the gospel. The apostle gives Timothy no civil power to do it, nor does he direct him to call in the aid of the civil arm. All the agency which he specifies as proper for this, is that of argument and exhortation. These are the proper means of silencing the advocates of error; and the history of the church shows that the ministers of religion can be safely entrusted with no other; compare Psa_32:8-9.

[b]Who subvert whole houses[/b] - Whole families; compare Mat_23:14; 2Ti_3:6. That is, they turn them aside from the faith.

[b]Teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake[/b] - For gain. That is, they inculcate such doctrines as will make themselves popular, and as will give them access to the confidence of the people. They make it their first object to acquire influence as ministers of religion, and then abuse that in order to obtain money from the people. This they would doubtless do under many pretences; such as that it was needful for the support of the gospel, or for the relief of the poor, or perhaps for the assistance of distant Christians in persecution. Religion is the most powerful principle that ever governs the mind; and if a man has the control of that, it is no difficult thing to induce men to give up their worldly possessions. In all ages, there have been impostors who have taken advantage of the powerful principle of religion to obtain money from their deluded followers. No people can be too vigilant in regard to pretended religious teachers; and while it is undoubtedly their duty to contribute liberally for the support of the gospel, and the promotion of every good cause, it is no less their duty to examine with care every proposed object of benevolence, and to watch with an eagle eye those who have the disbursement of the charities of the church. It is very rare that ministers ought to have much to do with disposing of the funds given for benevolent purposes; and when they do, they should in all cases be associated with their lay brethren; see Paley’s Horae Paulinae, chap. iv., No. 1, 3, note; compare 1Co_16:3. On the phrase “filthy lucre,” see the notes at 1Ti_3:3.

[b]1Ti_3:3
Not greedy of filthy lucre[/b] - Not contentious or avaricious. Greek, Not desirous of base gain. The desire of this is condemned everywhere in the New Testament; but it is especially the duty of a minister of the gospel to be free from it. He has a right to a support (see the notes on 1 Cor. 9); but there is nothing that more certainly paralyzes the usefulness of a minister of the gospel than the love of money. There is an instinctive feeling in the human bosom that such a man ought to be actuated by a nobler and a purer principle. As avarice, moreover, is the great sin of the world - the sin that sways more hearts, and does more to hinder the progress of the gospel, than all others combined - it is important in the highest degree that the minister of religion should be an example of what men “should” be, and that he, by his whole life, should set his face against that which is the main obstruction to the progress of that gospel which he is appointed to preach.

Adam Clarke

2008/9/20 9:15Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

Thanks for your contribution - it's good to hear other views and perspectives ... i think in many ways we are still arguing the same point! Money has its problems held in the wrong motives and perspectives. In spite of icks and ticks over word origins and meanings! Have a nice day!

2008/9/20 10:05Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

What is also interesting is when Jesus got done warning about riches ... pursuing money and gave many parables to illustrate its perils. When he got done preaching - the pharisee's derided him ( that is - insulted him, heckled him ) they did this scripture says because (the pharisees also were coveteous ) HMMM. Truth always cuts deep and hurts them most - that justify themselves to themselves

2008/9/20 10:13Profile
jsisrl

Hi sonofthunder,

It's all junk especially the "Kingdom Now" theology! It's prideful men without any humility.
God's been showing me lately about all this too - the Kingdom Now theology.

And I too, from time to time watch TBN and it's all there and it's so sad! I've printed out your post for a more quality read and may comment as The Lord leads.

God bless you.
[email protected]

Quote:

sonofthunder wrote:
From time to time i tune in to hear what the large platform ministries are saying! And what their theme is to (the body of Christ) Not that i do this to (heresy hunt) as such. But simply to find out what they are NOW saying. And mind you i can do all this from the safety Of my lounge room (for free) without paying the $25.00 registration fee others haply pay for the previledge of attending their conferences and seminars ;-)

And Lately (much to my surprise) i have found that they are talking about money management and finances (surpise surprise). And a lot of talk on this issue of "the churches role in establishing the kingdom of God in the earth" THY KINGDOM COME is not future they say, it is HERE and NOW! However i don't wish to digress TALKING ABOUT THAT. Choosing rather instead to stay with the OP'S title!

You see wether you realize it or not or wether you care or don't? The big platform PREACHERS are "hitting back" at those that have fired salvos and mortars at the message of wealth and prosperity... and them who occupy the internet! the (alleged heresy hunters ) who - over the years have fired ONE salvo after another ... giving warning about the dangers of riches! But that said here now are some of the things they are now saying to defend personal gain!

Counter salvos fired lately on the air-waves!
( back at us ) the would-be-heresy (hunters)

** Ohh it's okay for a doctor to show up to his practise in a beamer! We expect them to and (in fact) wnobody blinks an eye-lid over it! But if a pastor shows up in a beamer (Bmw) to church, we go ... ahh what! What's this. (tut tut tut)
** It's okay to talk about money in public such as (supermarket, workplace, corner store, bank and post -office) But if we talk about money "in church" ohh ... you can't do that, that's not right brother, don't talk about money here.
** ( And this ) When Jesus confronted the rich young ruler about his riches. Yes he did say
is was HARD for them that trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! BUT not IMPOSSIBLE ... Hard, but not impossible!
** (AND THIS) The apostle in first Timothy did not say money is EVIL! He said the LOVE of money is the root of evil (end Quote)
** ( other things said of late) Is appealing to the COMMONWEALTH Israel enjoyed as a nation! Still others cite Dueteronomy 28 Where God says it is he who gives power to get wealth. Some are even referencing the Roman catholic church with it's vast vatican city wealth as being a smart thing that the contempory church would do well to emulate. After all - the church is a business!

But let's have a look at some of those present day arguments. Now whilst the admonition in Timothy does talk about the LOVE of MONEY being the primary RISK. However to conclude by this that the use (of) money does not carry RISKS and DANGERS on its own... is both foolhardy and presumptious (at best)

If this rationale were true: That money only becomes evil if we (love it) then this would eliminate many other passsages in scripture that caution to the contrary. For example simon the sorceror in book of Acts who offered to GIVE money AWAY! To peter and John. That was not loving money but the giving away of money. And notice carefully that ( SIMON WANTED TO GIVE MONEY AWAY - NOT GET MONEY) So having money in his possession was still enough to bring great shame upon him. This debunks the notion that only love of money is wrong (no)?

Ponder this thought also....beloved

WITHOUT MONEY THE FRIDAY NIGHT RAGERS COULD NOT GET OFF THEIR FACE ON ALCOHOL. HAVING MONEY STILL GETS THEM INTO STRIFE! Without (loving it) They are simply offloading wages earned! yet money and possession of money still lands them into much strife on the night on many an occasion I.e fights, drunk driving, drug use. Etcetera Etcetera

Truth is wether we LOVE money or NOT it is still described in the bible and epistles as "filthy"

I will now further illustrate my own defence by citing (3) PASSAGES OF SCRIPTURE...

(ITIM 3:3) Not greedy of FILTHY lucre. (1 TITUS 1:11) teaching things they ought not for filthy lucre's sake. (1 peter 5:2) Taking the oversight willingly and not for filthy lucre. So we can see plainly wether we love money or not love money. It is still described as (FILTHY). Furthermore Paul is addressing the dark-side of money in first Timothy! BEING behind most things that are dark and sinister in society. All the more reason why (not to) get caught up in its chase or lure. Paul Indeed makes his case well in (1st timothy) saying. We brought nothing into the world and we can certainly take nothing out! He goes on to say having food and raiment let us therewith be content. He finishes off his presentation by enforcing this fact " Is not love of money behind most of societies evils today? behind all evil is their not a lust for money! Desire for gain has in it a downward spiral that plunges men into destruction and perdition (is also his point) But it is actually a course many choose to pursue in life. But the results speak for themselves with Riches drowning men in both destruction and perdition. ( they sink and drown in it )

Paul clearly warns young Timothy not to go after wealth and riches. As it by nature genders toward hurt and risk! (which while some have coveted after have erred from the faith) You don't need to chase, run, or to pursue after the things of this world (beloved) As God has the situation "well in hand" - before you even ask!

But kingdom culture "kings kids" (have hit back) saying: " So God wants our kids to go hungry and without? struggle to pay bills? to wear old clothes? To live impoverished and struggle to make ends meet? and to feed our families"?

And when the doctor? The lawyer, and The politician drive around in lavish sports cars and we say nothing against that! then such things are used as counter claims in their defence of wealth- to them in the past that have warned of the dangers of riches!

But clearly some do have wealth in this world and are rich! And are christians! So are they living in sin? are they bad people? and what about the age old arguments of Abraham, Job and Solomon having and possessing great wealth? But Again all these things are used as counter arguments to defend personal gain and To shield against mortars and shells fired at the current modern prosperity message! Do they have a point? and what is the balance? What is the bibles position then on wealth?

Well let me say first that quite frankly I don't have the time to get into it fully now. Suffice to say Abraham's wealth was not something he sought after or coveted! And in the second instance (his aquired wealth) with that king sending him away with great substance. It was clearly a situation (where God) turned his captivity and turned the captivity ot that gentile living nation! ( but he abraham didn't seek the wealth -it literally fell into his hands)

However: The mistake modern christians make (in contrast) to Abraham is they go after the wealth, they seek it ( the wealth) saying its my right, it's my inheritance, it's mine for the taking! And they will haply quote us 3john 2 to support their position on having gain. But in doing so they set their affections on things below. But Contrarywise Abraham walked in covenant relationship with God with his affections on things above! And the wealth and assets he acquired were handed over to him. Now i seem to recall a passage of scripture that says "all these things shall be (added) unto you" If you seek first the kingdom! Abraham experieced addition on that day, but the funny thing is, he didn't pursue it or desire It. It came into his hands and fell into the hands of a man whose heart was clearly - in the right place before God!

Modern prosperity teachers however are currently telling their followers to "GO AFTER WEALTH" And that their silly if they don't go after it.

BALAAM Went after the rewards of divination on offer. But was rebuked in the end by a dumb ass for his iniquity! TELLING US TO GO AFTER RICHES! YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME? WHAT ADVICE OR COUNSEL IS THAT? -- When we Suppose gain is godliness!

If you listen to Any message that says (go after wealth) And that same message does not incorporate A (seek first the kingdom) attached to it! (OR) teach it's followers to remember the poor! Or does not balance the equation with a message of contentment that knows how to be full and to be empty, to both abound and be abased no matter whatsoever state - you find yourself in. Then beloved that message has razor blades cloaked (inside it) that will leave you cut, bleeding and dissapointed! It was Jesus and (not me) that cautioned not to lay up treasures on earth - where moth and rust do corrupt and where theives break through and enter. And further to that ...Need we be remind ourselves again from ephesians and colossians "that no coveteous person will inherit the kingdom of God and heaven"

Recently i was put to the test on these very issues myself! Where i had to take joyfully the spoiling of my goods" as spoken of from Hebrews chapter ten and book of Corinthians verse that says... "in perils among robbers" (let me explain)

I came home recently from work to find that my house had been ransacked and robbed - taking my wifes jewelery other possesions and belongings.
My reaction was (its just worldly goods ) they can take it! I don't care. Material goods can be replaced...but they can never take him (THAT IS CHRIST) Away from my HEART! Nor steal my faith! I honestly did take it (joyfully) And rejoiced in God my saviour! To be Sure i was unsettled by it. As they have invaded my personal property and space. Its both intrusive and invasive! But as for the goods... well Jesus did warn "thieves may break through and steal" So All the more reason why we should lay-up for ourselves (treasures in heaven) where we have an enduring and eternal substance! The earth is the Lords and the fullness therof (anyhow). And As paul said its all going to be ours one day! So why (give in) to coveteousness? or pursue the things of this world? Let God prosper you according to his all sufficiency! And the rest will take care of itself! He knows our needs before we petition him. So rest in his faithfulness (both to give and to distribute) And As a famous sonwriter pianist once said - and i quote " The Lord said he'd take care of the rest...you betta believe it, he'll take care offfff ...the rest

Pursue God not wealth. He owns it all anyway! Let him add and proportion it out! Let him be "heavens banker" and "supplier of need" Dont take matters into your own hands plotting and scheming! Trying to use the bible as some formula for financial success. Abraham had wealth and spiritual riches because he was a godly man that walked in (covenant relationship) with his maker (as did Job). However job's assets were all taken away from him - in one day! But what did he do? how did he take it? He said blessed be the name of the Lord... THe Lord gave and the Lord took! I wonder if todays prophets of prosperity faced with the same delimena (as Job) had - would react in a way (that sees themselves going to cut themselves like the prophets of baal) in book of kings? Or would they rejoice at the spoiling of their goods. Job rejoiced! It's only material goods - he thought.

kay ser rah, ser rah ( what ever will be, will be)

You see Job - if i can say it had a very philosophical approach to money and wealth. whereas his wife on the other hand said "doth thou still retain thy integrity? you should curse God and die... and be done with it! But Jobs reply was swift and fast "why should we serve God in good times and not bad" You speak as one of the foolish women do !!

But moving on now: One of the churches in the book of revelation ( Smyrna) was told that Jesus was fully aware of their poverty! However Jesus had this message of consolation for them ( You are rich ) in fact (very rich) because You have ME! you have your faith! and you have an eternal and enduring substance!

But what about those who are rich in this world?Paul's answer in reply to this question about them BEING RICH among (God's people) but yet being (saved) is that they should be charged and admonished! Being preached the following:

~~ Be not high minded...
~~ Dont trust in uncertain & volatile riches.
~~ TRUST in the living God (instead)!
~~ That they ... do good
~~ Be RICH in good works
~~ BE Ready to DISTRIBUTE
~~ AND Ready to communicate (not stuck-up or posh)

What would be interesting in closing is to know what the reaction of preachers and christians alike would be if they lost money in the CURRENT global credit crisis that has hit our financial markets? With the loss of stocks, shares and superannuations (going backwards) What would your reaction be? To rejoice? or "down in the mouth" (Got the Grumps) And woe is me! or do you know that in heaven ... you have an enduring and eternal SUBSTANCE - that fadeth not away?

Remembering Above all else ...godliness with contenment is great gain! ( and not vica-versa) as some suppose. remembering above all else that godliness with CONTENTMENT is GREAT GAIN....

A man might say - how can great gain be found in contentment? Isn't gain measured by accumulation and possession of things? So thus we conclude along with the apostle that contentment is a great virtue and something you can covet without either risk or guilt attached to it !!

Do we have the right perspective on wealth? That is the burning question? For where our treasure is... there will be our HEART be found also. NO man can serve two masters and come away at the end of it (loving both equally)! can he :-o

2008/10/3 22:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy