SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Why does the children of God have to suffer?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sweetipie

South Africa, Pretoria

Why does the children of God have to suffer?

This is just a short testiomony. The Lord has been speaking to me about this issue. Too often we look at people who are not believers and see how happy they appear to be. Even worldly Chrisitans. And we get sad because our lives are filled with pain and suffering. We are not the most popular people in the world. But why do we want to enjoy this world when our Heavenly Father is busy preparing our actual homes. This morning I thought of that song... "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing by." And that is so true. We are not from this world. So why do we want an easy life here? Let us rejoyce in our suffering. And be glad in it. For we know that we are going to recieve a new heaven and earth, that is going to last eternity... Oh, what a blessing it was when the Lord opened this up for me... All the glory to Him. May the Lord recieve the rewards of His sufferings!!

Sufferers Make Strong Believers
"It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth" (Lamentations 3:27).

This is as good as a promise. It has been good, it is good, and it will be good for me to bear the yoke. Early in life I had to feel the weight of conviction, and ever since it has proved a soul-enriching burden. Should I have loved the gospel so well had I not learned by deep experience the need of salvation by grace? Jabez was more honorable than his brethren because his mother bare him with sorrow, and those who suffer much in being born unto God make strong believers in sovereign grace. The yoke of censure is an irksome one, but it prepares a man for future honor. He is not fit to be a leader who has not run the gauntlet of contempt. Praise intoxicates if it be not preceded by abuse. Men who rise to eminence without struggle usually fall into dishonor. The yoke of affliction, disappointment, and excessive labor is by no means to be sought for; but when the LORD lays it on us in our youth, it frequently develops a character which glorifies God and blesses the church. Come, my soul, bow thy neck; take up they cross. It was good for thee when young; it will not harm thee now. For Jesus' sake, shoulder it carefully.

Taken from "A treasury of Daily Devotions by C.H Spurgeon.

2008/9/19 1:57Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: Why does the children of God have to suffer?

I don't know who said it but it's a good statement:

"Suffering is God's gift to His bride."

In a fallen world suffering (That is the suffering of faith) is God's instrument to fashion us into the image of His Son.

2008/9/19 8:15Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

And after you have suffered for a little while;
the God of all grace, who has called you to His
eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore,
support, strengthen, and establish you."

I Peter 5:10

That's not just hope, folks, that's a promise!!

2008/9/19 15:30Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Dear Sister,

Thanks so much for your timely post. It certainly can be discouraging at times when you walk the very narrow way and experience bearing the marks of the Lord Jesus.

I try continually to receive the truth of the Word when in the midst of affliction and the continual opposition of the enemy. He manifests himself in many forms and often it is worse when other professing saints see you as odd or suggest you might be in sin when they see the almost relentless turmoil in your life.

It can be quite confusing, especially in a nation such as this where Christianity is vague and has blended so well with the world. I am so glad for the testimonies of other believers who endure much in their pursuit of Christ. It is just as the Word of God says and not as they portray. When the Wicked one mocks me as I see others having it so easy, I must cling to the truth of His holy Word and trust that many ARE the afflictions of the righteous and that these same afflictions are accomplished in my brethren in the world.

Your post encouraged me as I had had a bit of discouraging situations this week. It is so nice to know that we all suffer the same sorts of buffetings. Praise be to God.

We never can tell when our own experiences to be used to edify others.

God Bless, Kathleen

2008/9/19 19:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy