SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is the internet evil? do we pray more and read God's word more than use the internet?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sonofadam777

Rochester, New York

Is the internet evil? do we pray more and read God's word more than use the internet?

Ok... maybe this is the wrong way to write this question...

How many of you find yourself spending too much time on the internet vs. reading God's word or in prayer?

2008/9/18 9:16Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Is the internet evil? do we pray more and read God's word more than use the

Well, anyone who has the time to reply to this question is spending too much time on the internet.

Just kidding!

We can overdo it. And of course, people will say the same of tv, entertainment, sports, books, activities etc.

Also, we can try and justify anything we want to do, but if it exceeds what God desires, we need to question if we haven't turned it into our god.

God is a jealous God, Ex 34v14, and as far as I know, that hasn't changed.

Are we aware that all we do, God sees? Everything we think, say and do, God sees, and every idle word we utter we shall give account of on the day of judgment, Matt 12v36. And it was Jesus speaking those words.

But yes, we must be aware of how much time we use, or waste, on the internet, and other things too.

Good post.

God bless.

2008/9/18 9:41Profile

Re:

The main reason you only see me on here at certain times is because I make sure I strike a balance. Being self employed allows me to jump on and check the forum when my work load allows me to. I'm not on here as much as it probably appears.

But the same question can be asked about anything we do... do we spend more time watching TV, reading fictional novels, playing sports, etc?

This is a good question for all of us.

Krispy

2008/9/18 11:02
Mangan

Sweden (Northern Europe)

Re:

No! Not in it self. But if it prevents you from doing your tasks or prevents you from spending time with God in prayer and bible reading - then it has become an evil for you....

the Sermonindex forum can also be something evil if it prevents you from spending quality-time with the Lord.

I often find myself listening more to sermons than to let God speak to me from his Living Word...

I strongly recommend (a bit old concerning the development in media today) a classic antidote to our media-culture today:
*"Amusing ourselves to death" by Neil Postman (written in 1985).
He strongly argues against television or the picture-media per se. He even devotes a chapter to the phenomena of tv-preachers (which was on the move in the 1980:s; and today is tragically leading hundreds of thousands astray). He contrasts the old revival-men of Edwards, Finney, Moody, Whitefield, Spurgeon (which were well-read men endowed with the skills of communicating words and littearture for the heart/mind) --- with the televangelists of his day (Swaggart, Oral Roberts, PTL, Billy Graham and so on). The latter created a kind of entertainment without holiness so to speak...

So in conclusion... Internet is probably as dangerous to the soul as alcohol is, and should be used not misused... There is a thin line here...

Sincerely ;-)
Magnus

2008/9/18 11:26Profile
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re:

Here are a couple things that scare me about the internet:

- It is becoming necessary. Banking, shopping, communicating and working are all becoming dependent on the internet. Eventually we may not be able to buy, sell or do business without the internet :-?.

- The proximity of blessings/curses, sin/righteousness. One can go from a righteous resource to an utterly evil one at the click of a button. As with the television, it is difficult to use the resource without getting slimed/tempted/snared (for me at least).

2008/9/19 12:28Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re: Is the internet evil? do we pray more and read God's word more than use the

The internet is not evil but there are surely a great many evil people who use it for their own purposes. And indeed, there are many eternally condemned, murdered innocents, and Christians having the life choked out of them laid down before the wordly powers of the internet. The internet is a spiritual medium; no different than tv, radio, drugs, alcohol, occultism, witchcraft, prayer, meditation, reading the Bible and other writings, and all other forms of communion and fellowship.

Personally, I use the internet to read God's word and to encourage myself and others in prayer. For example, I will often times read several posts here in these forums to provoke myself to search out and know truth and to specify prayers unto the Lord, according to His will.

In all things, if we cannot use the internet by faith with a pure conscience towards God then it would honestly be better to cut off our hand and pluck out our eye than for our whole body to be cast into the fire.

The internet is a tool. It is not a priority or necessity and it is honestly nothing compared to and before the Spirit of the Lord. If the way we are using the internet is contrary to the holiness of Christ then let us be true to our religion; as each man judges himself whether he is obedient to the One he loves.

So my personal judgment: it is NOT a question of "do we pray more and read God's word more than use the internet"

rather, much more,

[b]do we pray more and read God's word more BECAUSE we DO use the internet?[/b]

Or, do we consider the use of the internet and all of our daily life to be something seperate and apart from our Christian religion and understanding of the Church, as the body of Christ, and being a temple of the Holy Spirit?

2008/9/19 14:23Profile
ilive4only1

Texas

Re: Internet

Quote:

Eventually we may not be able to buy, sell or do business without the internet :-?.

It does seem to be coming to that. ???

2008/9/21 6:24Profile
JoanM

Re:

[u]Mangan wrote[/u]: [i]But if it prevents you from doing your tasks or prevents you from spending time with God in prayer and bible reading - then it has become an evil for you....the Sermonindex forum can also be something evil if it prevents you from spending quality-time with the Lord. I often find myself listening more to sermons than to let God speak to me from his Living Word...[/i]

Messages here have strengthened my prayer life. Yet, time spent posting may well have been a distraction for me (I stayed in contact with Lakeland stuff longer than I needed to for example). Interactions on the Forums can be useful “practice” for interactions with believers in our local Body (expose our own sin, articulate truth clearly, etc.). NONETHELESS

Have others thought that a time of corporate fasting (from SI posting) with specific prayer (for revival, the conferences) might be fitting. Not everyone can travel but many of our brothers and sisters will go and seek God together in Atlanta and Greenock, Scotland. We may be scattered around the world but there is the unity of His Holy Spirit and one Body. Many not going will join in on the live-web. Are our hearts prepared?

I was surprised to see Magan’s post as this has been on my heart lately. I know we are praying individually but there is something about corporate prayer and fasting. Maybe it is just for me.

2008/9/21 11:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy