SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Knowledge vs Reality?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
thesaintdan

Southwest England, UK

Knowledge vs Reality?

Ok something that has been bothering me of late - knowledge of scripture vs living the christian life without much scriptural knowledge.
I mean these are the 2 extremes; someone who knows their bible inside out but isn't half as godly as someone who doesn't or at least doesn't appear to know nearly half as much.
I know the wiseman who builds his house on the rock is he/she who goes and puts what they have learnt into practice and I guess that's the simple answer to my question but my problem is this .. . .I desire to know as much about the bible as poss. and hopefully my motives for that are good - how then do I avoid making the mistake of taking what I learn simply as head knowledge without applying it? - is it possible to apply all that we learn thru scripture, sermons & christian books?
Am I worrying too much?

2008/9/15 18:44Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Knowledge vs Reality?

Try to look at the Bible as a practical guide.
Read the instructions and follow the directions!!
That's wisdom !

2008/9/15 19:01Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Knowledge vs Reality?

"how then do I avoid making the mistake of taking what I learn simply as head knowledge without applying it? - is it possible to apply all that we learn thru scripture, sermons & christian books?
Am I worrying too much?"

Brother, You are asking some good questions. We should go to the Word with the intent of applying it to our lives and being obedient to it's commands.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." (Psalms 119:105).

We should also understand that the Holy Spirit has been sent to lead us into all truth. It is the Spirit of truth that will reveal the Word to us. We should ask the Lord to give us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.

There are many Christians that give mental assent to the scriptures yet they are not allowing the Word to do it's work in them.

Jesus said: "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

We are to be doers of the Word and not hearers only.

Mike

2008/9/15 22:36Profile
JoanM

Re:Just thinking

How did Christians survive and communicate Divine Truth before the printing press and reading? More of that please. AND Yes, Yes, Yes! the Bible.

:-)

2008/9/15 23:30Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
How did Christians survive and communicate Divine Truth before the printing press and reading?

I believe that is why we call the age before the printing press...the dark ages.

Also remember that the church began with the Jews who knew the Scripture. Paul's ministry was given to him by God to explain the mystery of Godliness to the heathen...(gentiles).

In Christ
Jeff

2008/9/16 12:48Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
We should also understand that the Holy Spirit has been sent to lead us into all truth. It is the Spirit of truth that will reveal the Word to us. We should ask the Lord to give us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.

The Holy Scriptures are given to us so that we might recognize His voice. One must remember that there is a spiritual war going on between the seed of Satan and the children of God. The Scriptures enables us to discern the spirit of evil and the Spirit of righteousness.

As one grows in love of Jesus, one will find that the love of Scripture is one and the same. For it is the Word of God.

In Christ
jeff

2008/9/16 12:53Profile

Re:

I would rather live a life of faith rather than a life a scriptural knowledge. However, here in the West God has given us His Word in print... in fact, saturated us with it. And to whom much is given much is required.

So I think it's important for us to live both... faith & knowledge. But mostly faith.

Krispy

2008/9/16 12:57
rookie

Re:

Brother K wrote:

Quote:
So I think it's important for us to live both... faith & knowledge. But mostly faith.

Act 6:7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The word of God precedes faith....according to the Scriptures....

In Christ
Jeff

2008/9/16 14:41Profile

Re:

Excellent point, Jeff. I'm with ya on that.

Krispy

2008/9/16 14:42
thesaintdan

Southwest England, UK

Re:

Thanks one and all - you've been helpful..

2008/9/22 15:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy