Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
A-Run

India

The Will of God

Dear All,

I just wanted to find out:
1/ How do you know God's Will in your life? Especially when you want to be sure whether you are being called for a full-time Christian work? {like the Lord called Peter, Matthew(Levi)etc..?}

2/ If you are indeed sure that He is calling you out, is it necessary to go for a Seminary?

2008/9/15 9:37Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: The Will of God

1. Read the scriptures, study the scriptures, obey the scriptures, Pray , pray, pray. And when you sense God is leading you one way, you should go.

2. No you dont have to go to a seminar, Peter, John, Matthew dident go, only one of the apostles that went to a school was Paul, sort of, before he meet Christ. So it is not necessary. It might be useful and a means the Lord can use. But you dont have to go, some of Gods most used men and women never set their foot in a bible school, and yet again, some of Gods most used people did go to some school.

But one thing is necessary, to be filled with the Spirit, no school in the world or knowledge can make up for that. And if you have that, you need nothing else.

Seek God

2008/9/15 9:44Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

The will of God is definite and determined.
His will is definite in purpose; so we can
seek His will and discover His purpose. His
will is determined by His truth, which is His
Word. When in doubt, we can always determine
His will according to His truth. God wants
us to prove His will for us is good, perfect,
and right. His will is always our wisest
choice.

E. B. PUSEY

2008/9/15 10:21Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I have found the following advice from George Mueller to be very helpful, perhaps you will too.

How to Know the Will of God for My Life

1. I seek to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in a given matter. [b]When we are ready to do the Lord's will—whatever it may be—nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome.[/b]

2. Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If I do so, I make myself liable to great delusions.

3. I seek the will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, God's Word. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Spirit guides us, He will do it according to the Scriptures, never contrary to them.

4. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His will to me.

6. Thus, through prayer, the study of the Word and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge. If my mind is thus at peace and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. I have found this method always effective in trivial or important issues.

(emphasis mine)

2008/9/15 11:09Profile
bonni

montana usa

There is a wonderful book by Andrew Murry and I think it is called "The will of God". I'm sure you could find it on the internet if you put his name in a search engine.

blessings, bonni

2008/9/15 17:01Profile
psalm1

I once heard a story from a horse trainer.
He told the people of the town to bring him the worst and most rebellious horses and he would see if they were redeemable.

He took the first horse and put a halter on it ,and began to walk the horse.

He said "do you see how this horse is trying to walk ahead of me?"
So he jerked the horse back

Then as he kept walking He said" now look at his trying to make me pull him along"

So he jerked the horse forward.

Then the horse tried to crowd him and he jerked the horse away.

After about 10 minutes the horse seemed to be transformed.

He said"now look at him walking beside me."

And then he made a comment that was awesome
He said" If you cant teach this horse to walk beside you and be happy,you will not teach him anything"

Brother, whatever your calling or office always remember this little story. And get on fire for Jesus.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,......and all things will be added unto you.

May Gods very best blessing be on you and your family

David

2008/9/16 1:33Profile
A-Run

India

Re:

Hi All

thanks for the posts. They are helpful.

By the way-- i could not find "God's will- by Andrew Murray" anywhere on the 'www'? Does anyone have a '.pdf' of it?

I have also found "Finding God's Will- by Zac Poonen" to be helpful. Just for your info.

kind regards,
A

2008/9/16 3:08Profile

2008/9/16 6:47

A useful starting point for me regarding the will of God was 1 Thessalonians 4:3:

"For this is the will of God, your sanctification..."

Far too often I have seen Christians confused about Gods will and they run here and there trying to find out what they are supposed to do and not what they are supposed to be. Gods will is first and foremost my sanctification and from there I can be sure He will show me what to do.

Has this part of Gods will been a priority for you? Have you wept, fasted, prayed and sought victory in this area of your life? If yes, then praise God, but Gods will for sanctification is continuous and must be pursued until you are with Him.

2008/9/16 6:57
passerby

Re:

Actually, it is hard to comment on this kind of post, without knowing some personal informations.

Regarding the 2nd question about going into seminary, I think it would depend on the denominational affiliation of the the poster because some might require this to be accepted in the clergy. It also depends somehow in the particular theological view of the poster.

Even if the plan is limited only on doing evangelistic works(church planter,1 Cor 3 appolus and paul), one may find himself to give an account of his theology for watering of the church, other than preaching the gospel.

So, a firm theological backround will be helpful. In the early days theological learning is very personal as you can read in the new testament ex. paul and timothy. But going into a bible school or seminary is very useful with proper perspective e.g. by not getting beholden to anyman and his teachings.

Going 'fulltime' into the ministry is not a prohibited choice, but you have to count all the cost, one must pass a very intensive soul searching in all aspects of this decision. Reading from biographies of 'great' Christians or testimonies of our 'fulltime' brothers in the field will be helpful, it can give insight in the inner nature of the issue.

Going independent or by partnership (like paul and barnabas), is another aspect of 'fulltime ministry' which have their own issues and concerns to be tackled.

2008/9/16 22:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy