SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Abraham Lincoln

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Abraham Lincoln

A little out of the blue, but hey...it's the Lounge.
I found this in [url=http://www.e-sword.net]e-Sword's[/url] Topic Notes, under the topic of "Admonition." Just wanted to share, because it surprised me. I kinda wish the current President would be this blunt, though he would probably face much more opposition and criticism than Abe might have.

Abraham Lincoln spoke about the legacy the people of his time were leaving, and he clearly is speaking to us today as well.
"We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in number, wealth, and power as no other nation has ever grown.
"But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious Hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these things were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own.
"Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us."

2004/7/11 21:38Profile
moreofHim

Re: Abraham Lincoln

Hi Mary! Glad to see you again. Funny that you bring Abe up. I bought a neat little devotional for my husband for Father's Day called "Abraham Lincoln's Daily Treasure". The daily devotions are based on a devotional book that Lincoln received upon the death of his son- and carried it with him always- entitled "The Believers Daily Treasure". Lincoln often quoted from The Believers Treasure in his addresses to the nation and included snippets from it in his letters. He also read from it for personal strength during the civil war.

What I think is so neat about Lincoln is that his life was no easy road. He was poverty- stricken, self-taught, and for much of his life, a failure. He was homely and awkward. Yet somehow got through it, rising above the depths of depression to become one of history's most distinguished figures. Leo Tolstoy called him "a Christ in miniature".

Here are two small examples of his humility and wisdom.

On Keeping Life Simple: Lincoln's habits on the Oval office were as simple as they were at home in Illinois. He never alluded to himself as "president". "Call me Lincoln", he said to a friend. He grew weary of being called "Mr. President". He liked to keep his life simple, unencumbered by "pomp and circumstance". Even when he was around all the rich and famous, he refused to change his lifestyle simply to make an impression.

On Judging Others:When others (who believed that the Confederate soldiers should be executed after the war was over) asked Lincoln what he planned to do with these soldiers of the south, he said he planned to "forgive and forget", to reconstruct and unify the country. People claimed he was crazy! Lincoln was unmoved and said he was not capable of doing such dirty work(in having them executed). Lincoln was quick to forgive, to have mercy on his friends in the south. It would have been easy to judge them for their deeds, but instead he was ready to grant them mercy to live in peace and harmony.

From what we have seen in this book, he definitely believed in the Providence and sovereign will of God and it shows how he believed God would use him as an instrument for His purposes.

I agree with you Mary, that we could use some of this biblical "bluntness", not to mention humility. :-)

In Him, Chanin

2004/7/11 22:47Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

Wow, I had no clue Lincoln was such a strong Christian. And in such a position, it would be very tempting to "change his lifestyle to make an impression" upon the wealthy and powerful that crossed his path. Yet truth...even in simply who he was...was more important to him than the opinions of man.
I bet he did endure much persecution. Praise God.

2004/7/13 10:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

HI Mary
I saw a TV documentary recently which said that the death of the daughter caused Mrs Lincoln to turn to spiritism. Have you heard this?

There is some evidence to indicate that Queen Victoria did the same on the death of Albert.

2004/7/15 6:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy