SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Divisions

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Divisions

"Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

- Romans 16:17(KJV)

[i]...mark them which cause divisions[/i]

Hi everyone.

It seems to me this morning that, among the ways that divisons can be caused among believers, one of them is when we seek [b]to distinguish ourselves[/b] from others as being more pure, more holy, more devoted, more true in our orthodoxy than everyone else.

This seems to me to have been the attitude of the Pharaisee in Matthew 23:5, who, it appears, enlarged the borders of their garments in order that they could distinguish themselves as being more devoted to God's Law than any one else(see Numbers 15:38-41 for context).

Perhaps it is the attitude of any of us, who use religous devotion to draw attention to ourselves, and make ourselves distinct from others. Even viewing them as weak and inferior.

Wish you all grace and peace,

Chris

[i]edited to correct an error in spelling[/i]

2008/9/14 7:54Profile
pcolin69

zebulon, nc

Re: Divisions

I have always questioned how this happens. If we all have the same Holy Spirit, seems like we should all agree with the word of God. ;-)

2008/9/14 23:39Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Divisions

Amos 3v3, 'Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?'

I think those who cause divisions are spoken of in Jude verse 19 where it says, 'These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit'

It talks about those not having the Spirit of God.

When Paul and Barnabas parted, Acts 17, it was about John Mark, not doctrine.

Which one of them did not have the Holy Spirit?

I believe the scripture in Romans refers to division over doctrine, which I think most will understand.

Jehovah Witnesses have a bible, but I still disagree with their doctrine. There are other groups also, but I don't want to be boring.

Still, food for thought.

2008/9/15 9:50Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: works of the flesh

Hi pcolin69, how are you?

I appreciate what you shared. I think there is some insight into this question in looking at the ways in which the greek word translated [i]divisions[/i] here, appears elsewhere. I used e-sword, and found that it is used in two other places in the New Testament: once in 1 Corinthians 3:3, and again in Galatians 5:20.

In both places, the word is mentioned along with works of the flesh, and is included as one in Galatians 5:20.

In 1 Corinthians 3:3, Paul asks them [i]...are ye not carnal, and walk as men?[/i]

It seems to me that our old and natural nature is a hinderance to us in our efforts to serve each other and God. Perhaps in bringing divisions in envying the place others have, or by wanting to bring recognition to ourselves, or by feeling the need to be proven right. And these things seem contrary to being content in God.

Grace and peace,

Chris

2008/9/15 20:34Profile
psalm1

Re:

In a perfect scenerio love would be a key ingredient.
Unfortunately we are top heavy with pride.

One thing that would help us to reinvent ourselves would be the recognition or acknowledgement of a believers value. If I have value I will enjoy a different attitude in my relationships.
If I am disposable I will enjoy their contempt.
But if I walk in the law of the spirit of life I will nonetheless enjoy whatever place I find myself.

Christianity is an awesome thing.

David

2008/9/16 1:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy