Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Reason for Salvation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
passerby

Re:

We cannot add anything to the Glory of God. He is Glorious through out eternity. The Glory of God is the sum total of His Atrributes. We can only glorify God in spirit and in truth when our being by the help of the Holy Spirit is given a glimpse of His Majesty.

When a sinner is found in genuine adoration of God's Glory it is because the infinite mercy and love of God has flooded his soul.

LUKE 7:37-47

“This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.”

37 There was a woman who was a notorious sinner in that city. When she learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's home, she took an alabaster jar of perfume

38 and knelt at his feet behind him. She was crying and began to wash his feet with her tears and dry them with her hair. Then she kissed his feet over and over again, anointing them constantly with the perfume.

39 Now the Pharisee who had invited Jesus saw this and said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would have known who is touching him and what kind of woman she is. She's a sinner!"

40 Jesus said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." "Teacher," he replied, "say it."

41 "Two men were in debt to a moneylender. One owed him 500 denarii, and the other fifty.

42 When they couldn't pay it back, he generously canceled the debts for both of them. Now which of them will love him the most?"

43 Simon answered, "I suppose the one who had the larger debt canceled." Jesus said to him, "You have answered correctly."

44 Then, turning to the woman, he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You didn't give me any water for my feet, but this woman has washed my feet with her tears and dried them with her hair.

45 You didn't give me a kiss, but this woman, from the moment I came in, has not stopped kissing my feet.

46 You didn't anoint my head with oil, but this woman has anointed my feet with perfume.

47 So I'm telling you that her sins, as many as they are, have been forgiven, and that's why she has shown such great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven loves little."

2008/9/23 21:09Profile
learn

Re:

I think we are leaving out 1 thing besides God's glory and that is God's purpose/will.

As for us coming to Christ with 'bad/selfish motive' ie to escape from hell, I think many of us do (and I'm talking about real believers). What else can be expected. When we are born again, we are legally cleanse and made right with God (but we are like babes and spiritually immature). So how can we come to God with any other thing but selfish motive. The thing is some people think that then, God will not accept these people. But don't forget, God sees everything--past, present, future. His knowledge is not limited by this current point when we first come to him because of self preservation. So, to think that the people who come with selfish motive is unsaved, then I think maybe none or hardly any of us will make it.

Also, don't forget many good preachers as far as I know will preach hell and fire sermons and 'scare' us about eternity. Paul Washer when witnessing shows the unsaved person, how sinful he is and the only way he can be saved is to come to Jesus. Jonathan Edwards prayed to God to 'stamp eternity on his eyeballs' and his congregation was very scared.

In trying to glorify God, don't become legalistic. We have only ourselves to look.

Some may say they didn't come to God because of selfish motive (ie escape hell). Other reasons for example are :
--Wanting to go to heaven to be with God
--loving God
etc
But what does it all mean for the other reasons. Isn't it the love of God that is shed abroad in our hearts that cause us to come to him if our motives are not for self preservation.

So I can think of 2 main reasons (that most probably may be mixed together somehow) why we come to God (in accordance with God's will that we are to come--but I'm not Calvinist) ie our own selfish motive of self preservation and the love of God that is shed abroad in our hearts

It is then when we walk with God, that we grow to love and obey Him. This is when I think Paris Reidhead's sermon of 10 shekels and a shirt is more appropriately applied

2008/9/24 14:02Profile
bible1985

Re:

I see it as if the only reason someone is coming to jesus is not really to believe in Jesus but just coming to him to get to heaven, then it would definitely not be wholehearted and would be decietful. But the ones who come to christ with a true heart to be saved and surrender to him will be saved. I don't think people can just say the prayer and have no intentions within theirselves to live for him and repent and be saved, they must want Christ and to live for him in obedience for good , not lukewarm.

2008/9/25 1:39Profile
learn

Re:

Quote:

bible1985 wrote:
I see it as if the only reason someone is coming to jesus is not really to believe in Jesus but just coming to him to get to heaven, then it would definitely not be wholehearted and would be decietful. But the ones who come to christ with a true heart to be saved and surrender to him will be saved. I don't think people can just say the prayer and have no intentions within theirselves to live for him and repent and be saved, they must want Christ and to live for him in obedience for good , not lukewarm.

Isn't it by grace through faith that we come to Jesus. So believing in Jesus is certainly a requirement. But that does not preclude the thing that people come to Him for self preservation. (Mixed in it will be repentance and the repentance can be as little in its initial stage as 'I can't save myself, Jesus help me') If to deny self preservation as 1 of the purpose for coming to God, then these preachers like Paul Washer and Jonathan Edwards have been preaching wrongly when trying to convert people. Also, in the bible, isn't Acts 16:30-31 say He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-you and your household.

Walking and serving in obedience with the Lord is a process. Most are very unlikely to repent wholeheartedly the first time one comes to Christ. As Ravenhill states, "I believe in instant purity but not instant maturity"

2008/9/25 2:57Profile
learn

Re:

This is a very good clip from Paul Washer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIGpLcJSeoU&feature=related

2008/9/25 3:48Profile
passerby

Re:

Thank you for the link 'learn'. It's a real pity to see unduly scrupulous ('weak in faith') believers suffer much pain because of 'legalistic teachings'.

2008/9/26 2:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy