SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : EAT THE MEAT, SPIT OUT THE BONES

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

EAT THE MEAT, SPIT OUT THE BONES

The following is a really good piece written by David Cloud that I think needs to be read by all Christians because this is a dangerous saying that I have seen written by folks even on this forum.

This is good stuff, and right on the money.

Krispy

[b]EAT THE MEAT, SPIT OUT THE BONES[/b]

[i]There are a lot of clever-sounding sayings that make the rounds among Christians, and one of these is “eat the meat, and spit out the bones.” Many have written to exhort me to do this, and they mean that I shouldn’t worry so much about exposing error. They wonder why I can’t just “eat the meat, and spit out the bones.”

There is a bit of truth to this saying, in that God’s people are always to exercise biblical discernment when hearing sermons or reading Christian books. We are to “prove all things; hold fast that which is good” (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

But the Bible also twice warns that “a little leaven leaventh the whole lump” (1 Cor. 5:7; Gal. 5:9) and exhorts us to mark and avoid those who teach doctrine contrary to that which we have learned in Scripture (Rom. 16:17). There is great danger in eating the wrong spiritual meat!

What if the meat is rotten or poisoned or hasn’t been cooked or properly stored? The U.S. government regulates how restaurants must cook meat, because undercooked meat is dangerous. When I worked in a restaurant in my youth, I was taught to handle the meat very carefully and to store it properly, because it spoils easily. If you eat meat that is spoiled or poisoned or undercooked, even if you spit out the bones, you will be in trouble. The writings of men like Brian McLaren and Richard Foster and Chuck Colson and Rick Warren contain plenty of rotten meat. Those who advise God’s people to “eat the meat, and spit out the bones,” must explain to us how they know that this “meat” is safe.

Also, what if the bones have splinters or what if you get a bone stuck in your throat? When I was growing up in Florida, I went fishing often with my dad and granddad, and they were careful about which fish they kept and which they threw away, because some had too many bones to eat safely. And Mom was very careful to keep an eye on us when we were eating fish because of the ever-present danger of getting a bone stuck in our throats. This happened from time to time anyway, and it was a very unpleasant thing and, in fact, can be fatal. Likewise, very few Christians are able to wade through sermons or books by compromising preachers on their own and expertly spit out all of the “bones” of error.

And what if you don’t know the difference between meat and bones? A toddler doesn’t know the difference, and if it tries to eat meat and spit out bones, it will quickly be in trouble. Likewise, the average Christian today is far too biblically ignorant and carnal to distinguish properly between truth and cleverly presented error.

My friends, beware of clever sayings that aren’t supported by Scripture.

We live in a shallow, apostate, carnal age, and it behooves us to study the Bible diligently and to think biblically!!!![/i]

2008/9/9 7:39
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: EAT THE MEAT, SPIT OUT THE BONES

Good post Krispy.

This ‘saying’ has always bothered me. The problem with ‘bones’ being in the meat is that they are not giant, fluorescent and glowing, but are often disguised and hidden deep within. At times they are so small they are not even noticed until lodged deep within the throat.

Bones can KILL.

It would do us all good to remember that 99% of a rattlesnake is safe and harmless.

Thanks for this brother.

2008/9/9 8:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
It would do us all good to remember that 99% of a rattlesnake is safe and harmless.

Hmmm... not sure thats a good example! Rattlesnake tastes pretty good! LOL...

But yea, I get your point and you are 100% correct, brother.

Krispy

2008/9/9 8:26
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

what a great post brother. thanks it was well worth the time to read.

2008/9/9 9:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Take heed how you hear ...

Quote:
My friends, beware of clever sayings that aren’t supported by Scripture.

Catch phrases. Agree and have always been bothered by this one as well. Even the one often touted here; '[i]Play the ball, not the man[/i]' when it comes to sticking to the subject matter over the subject him or herself is not the be all end all. After all it is often the [i]man[/i] who is committing the flagrant foul and gets the yellow card, the penalty yardage, the time out in the 'sin bin' if you follow my sport analogies, in the first place.

2008/9/9 10:15Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

In fact, was it not the fire of God the roasted the meat on the altar in the OT. It was not 'cooked' by strange fire, but by the actual fire of God. There is no undercooking or rotten meat on His altar. However, when man does it...

Another cliche that has irked me is, [i]don't be so heavenly minded that your no earthly good[/i]

2008/9/9 11:10Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

Ruach34 I cannot take that one myself. When I hear it I think of colossians 3:1-3 and wonder if they have ever read it before. just goes to prove we have a bunch of echos in the pulpit and not a lot of voices today . Men say these things often times because they heard someone else say it and it has to them this "ring to it" but it is not biblical.

Colossians 3:1-3

1Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

2Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

3For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

4When Christ,who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.

Be blessed dear brothers and sisters

:-)

2008/9/9 11:38Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
EAT THE MEAT, SPIT OUT THE BONES

It is good that you bring this up Krispy. This phrase is like the New Age spirituality "quote of the day."

I have already had an experience with this analogy that very much impressed me towards the deception of satanic doctrines that hold it up like a banner.

Quote:
Another cliche that has irked me is, don't be so heavenly minded that your no earthly good

I agree with Fuegodedios on this phrase. This is a very good phrase for Christians. To be earthly minded is death but to be heavenly minded is life and peace with Christ.

Jesus Himself was ALWAYS heavenly minded and because of that very fact He was ALWAYS "earthly good." Unless we are heavenly minded we shall never be any good to this dying world. To the heavenly minded, even the most humble and earthly and practical work is divine and to the glory of the Father. But to the earthly minded, nothing is pure and everything is defiled.

2008/9/9 14:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Great post, Krispy.

Yet, one is still constantly having to do this in one sense or another. For example, there are people on this forum who hold to positions I do not agree with. So, how should one respond? Should one challenge each and every one? or let it go? In my mind, unless it is a very serious issue, I seem to think that in God's own time he will reveal His perfect will to these persons - if they are open to it. All of us are in a learning mode: no one knows everything - even when we think we do - and it just might be that I need some enlightenment but in the meantime I need to search the Scriptures to see what it does say about this issue.

Just my thoughts...

ginnyrose

2008/9/9 18:27Profile
Dawn10379

Thank you so much for posting this! This is something that I have heard a lot lately. I too wonder how many bones we have to swallow in order to get to the meat of some things...and how many of those bones are deadly.

Great post =0)

Dawn

2008/9/10 2:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy