SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : How to Trust God Without Being a Calvinist by Dean Taylor

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

How to Trust God Without Being a Calvinist by Dean Taylor

How to Trust God Without Being a Calvinist

by Dean Taylor

Sovereignty—providence—election—predestination. If you are like me, you have at times felt reluctant to use such terms. Maybe you have even grimaced a time or two to hear others use them. Yet, these are beautiful Biblical concepts that have too often become the objects of doctrinal controversies and denominational differences. This is such a tragedy. Nothing could be more comforting, more sustaining, or more empowering than the settled understanding and heart conviction that God cares and supplies for our every need, and is divinely involved with the smallest of our circumstances. God has willed that every hair on our head be numbered, every step ordered, every sin-stain forgiven, and every bondage broken. What a bountiful storehouse of provisions the Christian possesses!

Unfortunately, many Christians are unaware of these truths. The result has been countless testimonies of miserable defeat by conquered pilgrims who lost the battle and retreated. I believe one of the most common reasons for this tragedy is ignorance. It is, perhaps, one of the saddest things, to see a child of God, heir to the riches of Christ, spending his life spiritually impoverished simply because he never knew what spiritual riches were his in Christ Jesus.

How Did We Lose It?

I believe that to a large extent, many of these truths have been avoided because of an overreaction to a few so-called “Calvinist” doctrines. The churches that have followed the teachings of John Calvin have frequently used many of these themes and terms to defend some of their most controversial doctrines. As a result, many have rebounded and in the process, lost precious truths along the way.

Where Did These Controversies Come From?

Coming out of the Reformation, many Bible believing Christians felt that the reformers did not go far enough in their “reform” of the church. Later, Christian groups such as the Anabaptists and some Armenian holiness groups, led the church into even greater reforms. Today, church historians now refer to this period of greater reformation as the “Radical Reformation.” These “radical reformers” rejected some of the theological teachings of their time, specifically those of the Calvinist and Lutheran churches. They would have differed in particular with some of the teachings these churches held in regard to the nature of God and salvation. Some of the doctrines that these radical reformers had the greatest difficulty with were the Calvinist doctrines of “unconditional election” and “limited atonement.”

A Brief Summary Of Differences:

Although I admit this description to be a gross oversimplification, basically these Calvinist doctrines teach that God has arbitrarily chosen some people to be saved and some to be lost. Those chosen by God to be the “lost” are hopelessly damned and have no hope of salvation. Further, they teach that Christ did not die for the chosen “lost” as He did the chosen “saved;” and that the lost will, therefore, be eternally punished in Hell. Likewise, the ones “chosen” or rather predestined to be saved are, irresistibly compelled to be saved, and can never lose this compulsory salvation.

Some of the radical reformers felt that these doctrines, by definition, made God the author of sin. Others simply felt that these doctrines were making definitions and dogmas about things that were beyond Biblical revelation. To be fair, not all the churches or preachers which have called themselves Calvinist have pushed these doctrines to such extremes. Some “reformed” preachers, such as Charles Spurgeon, called teachers that pushed these points to the extreme, “hyper-Calvinists.” I have even heard some writers claim that John Calvin, himself, was not as “Calvinist” as many of the people who have reacted in debates after him.

Be that as it may, in seeking to defend these positions many of these Calvinist churches have lifted up words like predestination, election, and sovereignty, as justification for their mistaken doctrines. Tragically, however, throughout the centuries of debate, the Calvinist’s persistent and sometimes erroneous references to words like sovereignty and predestination have led many professing Christians to view these words as detestable. This has cost the church so dearly. The Calvinists have since reacted into hyper-Calvinism, which has finally evolved into modern evangelical easy-believism. On the other hand, holiness and Anabaptist groups have also reacted, emphasizing self-effort which has often resulted in hypocrisy and self-righteousness.

These truths are too pertinent to the Christian walk to remain locked up forever in the tangles of debate and controversy. Just because some groups have taken these truths to erroneous extremes does not lessen the strength or power of the Word of God one bit. “Let God be true and every man a liar” (Rom 3:4). Realizing the truth of sovereignty and predestination in its proper perspective can empower a feeble Christian, bound by condemnation and doubt, to arise to a new storehouse of spiritual strength. Likewise, it can awaken the nominal, sleepy Christian to the phenomenal realization of a Holy God who sees and cares about their every thought and deed.

D.L. Moody told a stirring account of a slave girl who, after the Civil War, struggled to apprehend her freedom. President Lincoln had published the Emancipation Proclamation granting freedom to the slaves. A lady was traveling in the southern states and came one night to a little inn. She was cared for there by a slave girl. Looking up to the girl the lady said,

“Is this your place?”
“No, it is my master’s.”
“Does he pay you for what you do?”
“No, of course not, I’m a slave!”
“Oh…but there are no slaves anymore,” the lady said bewilderedly.
“Indeed there are slaves—I’m one of them!”
“Have you not heard of President’s Lincoln’s proclamation to free the slaves?”
“Well, we did hear about it, Ma’am, but Master said it was all a pack of lies. Therefore, I am bound to stay here as long as my master says I am a slave.”
“Please, listen Dear, everyone knows that all the slaves have been set free. You are as free as I am!”
That very moment something changed in her eyes. She instantly finished serving her guest, packed her bags, and left to appropriate what was hers—freedom.

It was her master’s prejudice that prevented the slave girl from appropriating her freedom. Likewise, in the Christian walk, theological reactions and extremes often swing the doctrinal pendulum to bigoted excesses. Prejudices like these have prevented many beautiful gospel truths. Sadly, something as fundamental as trusting God has become one of these prejudices. Sovereignty, predestination, election, and providence are not teachings that Bible-believing Christians should be afraid of. Understood properly, these truths are emancipating.

God is Eternal

In the book of Revelation Jesus said, “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last” (Rev. 22:13). This is a truth that is bigger than our finite minds can comprehend. In this verse God did not say that He was the beginning and will be the end, but rather, He said that He exists—all at the same time—as the beginning and the end. In other words, God exists as much in the beginning of time, and at the end of time, as he does at this very moment—that’s eternal! All of us will live forever, but none of us will ever be eternal. “From everlasting to everlasting thou art God” (Psalm 49:2).

Foreknowledge

Because of God’s eternal omnipresence, God exists at the beginning of our Christian walk and at the end. He not only knows if we will accept him by faith but he actually experiences our future perseverance or future rejection, by existing in the future already. God’s foreknowledge is not mere premonition—it is experiential. As John Wesley put it, “Strictly speaking, there is no foreknowledge, no more than after-knowledge, with God: but all things are known to him as present from eternity to eternity. This is therefore no other than an instance of the divine condescension to our low capacities.”

What a glorious thought, that before the beginning of time and throughout all our life, God is there, knocking, leading, and calling out—“whomsoever will may come” (Rev 22: 17). To those who answer this call and surrender their lives to Him, God pours grace into their lives to be saved. John 1:12 says, “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.” Keep in mind, however, that John is not saying that these people, through the act of believing, earned their own salvation. The act of believing is no more a work than that of a child, who, reaching out to receive a present from his father, does anything to merit the gift by the simple act of receiving it.

Speaking of God’s work of salvation, 2 Tim. 1:9 says, “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.” What an astonishing truth! Here, God is telling us that all the ability and power and requirement of our salvation was met in the person of Jesus Christ even before God created the world!

The thought of God caring for my salvation throughout time is overwhelming. Consider this for a moment…your life planned before the mountains were framed, your soul numbered in Abraham’s starry sky, your salvation sung about from David’s harp, and your holiness groaned for in Zachariah’s burden! This contemplation causes my heart to marvel like the Psalmist when he said, “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him” (Psalms 8:3-4).

Predestination

Defining the landmarks of our salvation and sanctification, Paul spells out the steps clearly in the Book of Romans... “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified” (Romans 8:29-30).

Like divine rungs of a celestial ladder leading to Glory, this scripture points out God’s way of salvation, all the way to Heaven. But perhaps the most astonishing thing about this whole path is this idea of predestination. Predestination is not presented here as a random choosing of people to salvation or damnation. In the scripture above, I chose to highlight what the entire purpose of predestination is—to be conformed to the image of His son. Two very important points can be drawn from this verse. First, the salvation spoken about here brings real changes in a Christian’s life. A Christian like this will be different than the world around him. Moreover, a Christian transformed like this will actually begin to look like Jesus. Secondly, God Has promised to effect these changes in our lives completely by His ability. It is He who justifies, it is He who sanctifies and finally, it is He who glorifies.

We simply can’t afford to lose this truth to overreaction and debate. An early Anabaptist leader, Michael Stattler, summarized his faith in a list of articles in which he was not ashamed to declare both of these truths. He stated, “They are true Christians who practice in deed the teachings of Christ,” but he also said, “The foreknown and called believers shall be conformed to the image of Christ.”

Ponder it, when I am accepted into His covenant, His oath and promises—when I am surrendered of my own efforts and ambitions—in essence, when I am literally “in Him,” then I am predestined to become just like Him. In such a case, God has promised that I can’t help but live a holy life and become like Jesus. Here we see that predestination is no mere legal transaction in Heaven where we are legally considered cleansed and holy with no actual change in our life. God is telling us in these verses that He does the work of changing us, and conforming us to actually make us like Jesus. God’s predestined purpose in our salvation is to make us a holy people. The apostle John said, “Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not” (1 John 3:6).

In the first letter of the apostle Peter, he wrote concerning this empowering gospel, calling the Christians, “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 1:2). Here again, we see that the fruit of our salvation brings obedience, actually making us holy by the sprinkling of the blood of Jesus. Once I get my attention off my own problems and desires, I can understand that my salvation is made to give glory to God—not me.

To the Ephesians Paul wrote, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them” ( Eph 2:8-10). His workmanship? What a gift! In the storehouse of Christ’s boundless ability and power He changes me, conforms me, quickens me, and makes me into a vessel that gives glory to Him. All I have to do is to die to myself, believe His promises, and keep focused on Jesus—He will do all the rest.

This truth is as emancipating as the truth the slave girl received when she finally realized she was free. It puts the whole mystery of faith and works into its proper place. In total surrender/total trusting, I can rest in Christ and allow Him to change me and make me holy. In this truth, I find that New Testament salvation is not just a new set of laws to follow, accomplished by human strength. That would be worse than the old covenant! New Testament Christianity calls for physically impossible holiness and obedience, but it is God who accomplishes this holiness in us, completely by the power of His grace. Contrasting this new covenant with the old one, the Book of Hebrews records these beautiful prophetic words, “Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people” (Hebrews 8:9-10).

I am reminded of a great story of the purifying process, once used by a silversmith. One day, a little boy walked into a silversmith shop while an old silversmith was purifying a lump of silver. Bewildered at the relentless determination and commitment the silversmith had as he sat there heating and reheating the silver lump, he finally got up the courage to ask the silversmith, “What’s taking so long?” The silversmith explained, “As I heat this over and over again, eventually all the impurities float to the top and when they are exposed I can remove them.” “How do you ever know when to stop?” asked the boy. “That’s easy,” said the silversmith with a smile, “It’s finished when I can see a clear reflection of my face.”

Brethren, such truth needs no apology! We serve a sovereign God who cares for us and loves us before the beginning of time! He is with us always! He foreknew us from the beginning of our faith in Him, and has made us elect and chosen in His Son! Throughout our lives, and forever in Glory—He is there! What’s more, when we give up our own ways and surrender to Him and truly place ourselves “in Him,” he promises and predestines us to a life of holiness before God. The end result He tells us, is to make us just like the one who did all this for us—the one I love with all my heart—Jesus!

Without debate and without apology, you can truly trust God without being a Calvinist.

Trust God, believe His Word, surrender from your own way, then just watch what God will do in your life!

2008/9/7 15:03Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: How to Trust God Without Being a Calvinist by Dean Taylor

Great article! brother Dean is precious

2008/9/7 15:14Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

This article does not accurately reflect historic Calvinism. Just in case anyone is curious about Calvinism…this is not it. Articles like this only add to the confusion.

2008/9/7 15:26Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
Great article! brother Dean is precious

Yes, I'm very thankful for what Dean Taylor has written and preached,

2008/9/7 15:44Profile
Koheleth

NC

Quote:
This article does not accurately reflect historic Calvinism. Just in case anyone is curious about Calvinism…this is not it. Articles like this only add to the confusion.

I appreciate your statement, and the desire to relect an accurate Calvinism. At the risk of seeming to stir another controversy, do us who are trying to understand the favor of pointing out one or two simple errors. Otherwise, we do not know whether it reflects historic Calvinism or not.

2008/9/8 4:38Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

Re:

Here is an excellent source for help on getting church history right.

http://www.newreformationministries.org/audio/mens-seminary/

2008/9/8 4:51Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

Re:

Election Based upon foreseen Faith is an issue that Dean brings up in this article. I would like to address that.

INTRO: One would say, "God had foreknowledge that you would do such a thing and as a result of this observation, he predestinated or decreed that you would do that thing." However, this makes God's predestination just an acknowledgment that God foresaw that it would happen. This would be as if I knew you would call me on the phone tomorrow (if I had such knowledge), and as a result of this I decided to predestinate you to call me on the phone tomorrow. My predestining you to call me on the phone tomorrow is pointless, because I already know that you are going to do it and I can be sure that you will do it, because I have foreknowledge that you will do it. I have no need to Elect or predestinate what will surely happen regardless of my predestining and electing it. Election and predestination become void and pointless, if God decided to elect or predestinate you based upon His knowledge of what is sure to come to pass (which includes every act and desire of the hearts of all men in every moment and in every circumstance which shall surely come to pass).

Another would say, "God predestined you to do such a thing and as a result of this eternal decree, He had foreknowledge that you would do such a thing." This would be as if I predestined you to call me on the phone (If I had such power), and as result of this I foreknew that you would call me.

There are scriptures that are often used to say that God foreknew first and then Elected and predestined latter. However they do not say that foreknowledge came first before the eternal decree. In Romans 8 it merely says that those of whom God foreknew, he also did predestinate. The order is not stated. In 1 Peter, the word foreknowledge can also be translated pre-arrangement or forethought. "Elect according to the foreknowledge [pre-arrangement or forethought] of God the Father..." The Greek words in these 2 passages from Romans and 1 Peter are actually different words.

I have split this up into 4 sections:

1. Romans 8:29
2. 1 Peter 1:2
3. Errors
4. The context of the entire bible

1. "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." [Rom 8:29]

G4267 (Thayer's)
προγινώσκω
proginōskō
Thayer Definition:
1) to have knowledge before hand
2) to foreknow
2a) of those whom God elected to salvation
3) to predestinate

G4267 can also be translated: foreordained (The same word is used in 1Pe 1:20)

"Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you," [1Pe 1:20]

G4267 (Strong's)
προγινώσκω
proginōskō
prog-in-oce'-ko
From G4253 and G1097; to know beforehand, that is, foresee: - foreknow (ordain), know (before).

(Lets look at G4253 and G1097)

I present these next 2 definitions to show a possible translation of G4267

G4253 (Thayer's)
πρό
pro
Thayer Definition:
1) before
Part of Speech: preposition
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: a primary preposition
Citing in TDNT: 6:683, 935
Thayer's Greek Definitions

G1097 (Thayer's)
γινώσκω
ginōskō
Thayer Definition:
1) to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
1a) to become known
2) to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
2a) to understand
2b) to know
3) Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman
4) to become acquainted with, to know
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: a prolonged form of a primary verb
Citing in TDNT: 1:689, 119

OTHER SCRIPTURES
I strongly believe that God's foreknowledge in Rom 8:29 is speaking of God's special Love to His Elect.

We find similar language in these passages:

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." [Jeremiah 1:5]

"You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities." [Amos 3:2]

"[22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? [23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." [Matthew 7:22-23]

"But if any man love God, the same is known of him." [1 Corinthians 8:3]

"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." [2 Timothy 2:19]

"Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you," [1 Peter 1:20]

The same Greek word that is used in Romans 8 for foreknow is used in Romans 11 for foreknow.

"God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the Scripture saith of Elijah? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace." [Romans 11:2-5]

2. "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied." [1Pe 1:2]

G4268 (Thayer's)
πρόγνωσις
prognōsis
Thayer Definition:
1) foreknowledge
2) forethought, pre-arrangement
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G4267
Citing in TDNT: 1:715, 119

G4268 (Strong's)
πρόγνωσις
prognōsis
prog'-no-sis
From G4267; forethought: - foreknowledge.

OTHER SCRIPTURES
G4268 is used only 2 times in the Greek new testament. The other occasion is in Acts.

"Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain." [Act 2:23]

In this verse, God's foreknowledge is in relation to God's determinate counsel. It would be confusion to say that God knew His Son would be crucified, and as a result of this He determined and counseled for this to happen. It would flow with the context of the passage and the rest of the bible to say that God foreknew this would happen because He determined and counseled this to happen.

The Word "determinate" in Acts 2:23 can be translated:

G3724 (Thayer's)
ὁρίζω
horizō
Thayer Definition:
1) to define
1a) to mark out the boundaries or limits (of any place or thing)
1b1) that which has been determined, acc. to appointment, decree
1b2) to ordain, determine, appoint
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G3725
Citing in TDNT: 5:452, 728

We find a similar passage in Acts chapter 4.

"The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ. For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done." [Act 4:26-28]

Let's look at that word, "determined before."
G4309 (Thayer's)
προορίζω
proorizō
Thayer Definition:
1) to predetermine, decide beforehand
2) in the NT of God decreeing from eternity
3) to foreordain, appoint beforehand
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G4253 and G3724
Citing in TDNT: 5:456, 728

3. ERRORS
Here are some of the errors of believing a form of predestination and election of individuals that has been based upon God's foreknowledge of our willingness or running.
A. You may not fall into this error if you have true Faith which is confident in the promises of God. Nevertheless, this doctrinal view gives room for unsaved souls to think and expect that they are the final cause of Salvation. (i.e. "God wouldn't have and couldn't have saved me without the help of my will and running of which He foreknew that I would make use of rightly. Thus, this is why God Elected and predestined me and not another, He knew that I was better than others when it came to making right use of my will.")
B. It makes void the purpose of God's Election and Predestination. There is no reason to elect or predestinate (before the foundation of the world) an individual to endure to the end with Christ, when God already knows that individual will already surely endure to the end with Christ. Those who hold to the belief that God foreknows and then bases His predestination on that knowledge, cannot speak of God's Election in a way to comfort true saints. The Election that they speak of can only encourage true saints with the truth that, "On judgment day we will find out for sure if we have been elected." However, the bible tells us to make our calling and election sure (presently) and we know that God has ordained a means of doing that by examining our lives in light of scripture to see if we are truly in the Faith.
C. The Foreknowledge based Election is based upon the saints will and running. The result of teaching this to the saints (as it has been for others and I in the past), will subtly point them to rely upon their own will and running for confidence, rather than the promise that God is the author and finisher of our Faith. Election based upon foreknowledge can only lead someone into despair and point them to try and find assurance in their own abilities, rather than assurance from the Word of God and God's ability to save completely. I myself have been a victim of this man-centered view of election and the result of it in me only led to self-reliance and pride in myself of which at times I was to stubborn to admit.

May God open your eyes to the truth that God's free will is actually freer than yours.

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." [Eph 2:10]

4. THE CONTEXT OF THE ENTIRE BIBLE
Correct me if I am wrong, but you only have four passages that you could possibly attempt to support your view of Foreknowledge in relation to Predestination. Your view of these passages is clearly refuted by the rest of the bible. These are some scripture lists that would further show that your view is inconsistent with the Bible.

I implore you to search the scriptures:
http://eschatology.com/predestination.html
http://eschatology.com/husband.html
http://eschatology.com/eternal.html
http://eschatology.com/sovereignty.html
http://eschatology.com/fivetruths.html
http://eschatology.com/pharaoh.html

Blessings,
Abraham

EDIT ADDITION:

If you a response to this article response, please respond to it here:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25104&forum=34&0

2008/9/8 5:00Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

Re:

These are a collection of quotes by Charles Spurgeon on the subject:

http://abrahamjuliot.blogspot.com/2008/07/charles-spurgeon-quotes-on-calvinism.html

2008/9/8 5:02Profile
Abe_Juliot

Southern California

I would also like to adress this quote from the article.

"The act of believing is no more a work than that of a child, who, reaching out to receive a present from his father, does anything to merit the gift by the simple act of receiving it." -Dean Taylor

Faith without works is dead. True Faith is the Faith of Christ. It is a work of God and not a work of the flesh or the will of man.

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."
(Philippians 2:12-13)

"Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." (John 6:29)

EDIT: scripture added

2008/9/8 5:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy