SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : American Dream

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SonofMan

American Dream

I say, The American Dream is a lie. I'm sure there is a degree of it that is true, but, because of the spirit behind it, it's a lie. It isn't from God.

I agree with the whole post, especially this statement at the end. The American dream is a lie, its a deception and it focuses on self and self interests rather than focusing on God. The end result brings glory to self; The American Dream is all about the "self-made man" and how he cam from nothing and acomplished "everything". Its almost trying to play God in the role of how He started with nothing and created all things. The American Dream gives a false hope and false security. How? It causes you to believe that your success will be infinite, long lasting and once you reach the sky..thats it, "no more hard work, youve made it." Well, the believer knows that nothing is infinite besides God. Mans success only lasts for a season: His family, friends, big business,the house, car, and white pickett fence, his American Dream only lasts for a season..and then what? Its over, the man who fullfills the American Dream and is not right with the One True God will have finite success and infinite death and condemnation...all his hard work and dreams will mean nothing. Im sure this is what the "rich man" experienced when he went to hell after he died (Luke 16:19). Maybe in that day they called it the "Israeli Dream". Maybe not, lol, but in the end it didnt matter about the house, car, 1 wife and 3 kids in the yard; it was all about who was in the arms of Paradise, and who was begging for a drop of water?
You cannot serve God and mammon. If you observe the American Dream, youll see that it causes you to put your entire soul, mind, and heart into it; just as you are to put your soul, mind, and heart into Christ. If youre not putting your all into "the dream", then the men of this world will tell you "you dont want it enough".
Just because the land we live in presents so much opportunity, it doesent mean that all opportunity is of God and God-willed. I heard a minister say that "its amazing how much America has acomplished without God". Thats a dangerous statement, because we know that if we build our own kingdoms...they will fall. Dont let your "freedom" in this country take the form of reckless ambition and then find yourself giving God a list of things that you want Him to do to make your "customized dream" complete. Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness...because this country will fail you, the "American Dream" will change, and it will fail you, men will change as well and they will fail you, but "Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire." Everything that does not give Him glory, in the end will be consumed. I believe that the American dream is based on bringing glory to self...therefore it will be consumed! What will you have in the end? Where will you be when the dream dies?

Son of Man

2008/9/2 16:51Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: American Dream

What does the American dream have to do with the words of Jesus?

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

The American dream has everything to do with fulfiling ourselves with whatever makes us happy.

The kingdom of God is doing the will of God, and this includes denying self and taking up the cross.

The man that does the will of God is truly blessed.

Mike

2008/9/4 12:48Profile

Re:

Mike... you live in Louisiana, right? There are things that you mention that are certainly true about America... but while you run your country down be sure to thank the Lord for all of the supplies and relief efforts that are currently pouring into your state after Hurricane Gustov. Especially as you see relief ministries and supplies coming into Louisiana on vehicles with South & North Carolina plates on them... we're sending relief effort while we brace for our own hurricane this weekend.

That, my friend, is the [b]real[/b] American dream.

Krispy

2008/9/4 13:21
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Hi Krispy,

Please don't take what I said as running my country down. I meet on a regular basis with a intercessory prayer group to pray for our state and our country. I do believe that we live in the greatest nation in the world, but we are in a heap of trouble. We have pursued prosperity and our own hapiness and have achieved both, but we have forgotten the One that has given us both.

I love this country and don't want to see it come into more severe judgments of God.

Maybe the difference is of what I perceive as being the American dream, and the way that you see it are two different things.

I do believe that God wants to bless His people, but we have got the cart before the horse. We have sought after the blessings instead of seeking to know the source from where all of these blessings come.

Matthew 6:33 states,"But seek ye first the kingdom of God,and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Mike

2008/9/4 14:59Profile

Re:

I can understand what you're saying. As I said I agree with much of what you said. I think my response was maybe a bit stronger than it needed to be. A couple weeks ago there was a season of out and out America bashing on here... and I think that prompted to me to over react.

I apologize!

Krispy

2008/9/4 15:11

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy