SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : I Found An Old Hymnal

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

That's all for today. It's like delicate surgery trying to take these pages out and my housework is calling me.:-)

2008/9/2 12:40
BrotherLou

Canada

Re: I Found An Old Hymnal

i just Scroogled it...and found this link to the hymnbook..http://www.songquery.com/html/title/f/favorite_songs_and_hymns_hymnal_hardbound_blue_brentwood_benson_music.html

i haven't checked the other titles yet to see if it is the same hymns...but the one about hell is there and the hymnbook is available for purchase

want to saye you alot of work....

Quote:

Rivqah wrote:
I was at an antique store and I found an old hymnal. The pages are so old they flake as soon as you try to turn the pages. I know Cyber Hymnal is looking for the words to some of these songs so I am going to send it to them one by one. I decided the best thing to do is to scan them but I'm not sure where to store them. Any advice? Here's the first one, some of the pages are gone unfortunately. If I'm not allowed to paste the images please let me know.

[img][/img]

2008/9/2 12:47Profile

Re:

Quote:

BrotherLou wrote:
i just Scroogled it...and found this link to the hymnbook..http://www.songquery.com/html/title/f/favorite_songs_and_hymns_hymnal_hardbound_blue_brentwood_benson_music.html

i haven't checked the other titles yet to see if it is the same hymns...but the one about hell is there and the hymnbook is available for purchase

Yes, but I don't see the notes.

2008/9/2 12:55

Re:

Quote:

Rivqah wrote:
Quote:

BrotherLou wrote:

Yes, but I don't see the notes.

...And I was thinking that I could just make a CD and if anyone wants it I will make them a copy. I'll let you know when it's done if your interested.

2008/9/2 13:01
BrotherLou

Canada

Re:

yes is it is the same hymn book.....all the songs listed are in the site that i listed...but it is a real beauty of a hymnbook...i woulnd't mind picking up a copy......

for you guitar players out there i just found another hymn website that has alot of these type of songs that we play bluegrass style...on a website that has all the chords for stringed instruments .........ie G C D7 etc...

http://www.gospelmusic.org.uk/

2008/9/2 13:12Profile

Re:

O.k., thanks. I guess I will just have these framed and give them away as keepsakes. Not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions appreciated. Back to the antique store for more great finds. ;-)

2008/9/2 13:21
BrotherLou

Canada

Re: I Found An Old Hymnal

i have confirmed on the wikipedia that this hymnal displayed is the shape note edition...on the notes it has the little triangles and squares on the staffs

2008/9/2 13:28Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I have been enjoying these hymns as you post them. Thank you!

What do the shape notes mean - the triangles and the squares?

2008/9/2 14:13Profile
Compton

Re:

I think the shape notes are to help the congregation find the do re mi relative to the key they are all singing in. It was an aid to assist conventional sight reading at a time before radio, when more people were schooled in basic music.

It seems incredible to me to think there was a time when many church congregations sang the harmonies in these hymns as noted without choir practice. :-)

MC

2008/9/2 16:04Profile
HeartSong

Re:

I went to a Church of Christ for awhile - they sing the harmonies without musical instruments or choir practice. Coming from a church that had loud music, the first time I heard it I actually cried.

It was when I went to a prayer meeting at Maranatha Church in MO that I heard what our Lord intended music to be - how our voices were to be lifted up to Him - in unison. Oh the beauty of it! I really did think that my heart would burst.

2008/9/2 16:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy