SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What fire has the younger generation acquired

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
Compton

Re:

Your perspective is much appreciated Frank. And I am realizing that I am perhaps more naive then discerning regarding the worst of what's going on out there, as I live in a smaller town.

Quote:
as brother ROBERTW and I discussed when we met for lunch the other day

I wish I could have been there with you brothers. You both have been a blessing to me.

MC

2008/8/24 22:37Profile

Re:

Hi brother Compton, you have a heart that is full of love, it is always good to err on the side of Love and always thinking the best of others. I think that is what makes it so difficult to be used in writing posts that are critical of the state of the church. For some, it is a fire in their bones, for others it is a mere reflection of a critical spirit.

I know what kind of posts I would like to write all the time, yet when the Lord speaks, there is no peace until one is obedient. It would have been good to have had lunch with you brother, good fellowship with like-minded brothers is a relatively rare thing, for me at least. Its pretty cool to meet someone you have never met before, but be immediately comfortable because they are "family." Jesus binds us together...........Frank

2008/8/25 8:53

Re:

Hi Rivqah.....I loved that story, it fits perfectly with the thread......Thanks ...Frank

2008/8/25 19:56
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I wish I could have been there with you brothers.

I greatly rejoiced to meet Bro. Mike (Compton)and many others in Canton. I also enjoyed my conversation with Bro. Frank. I have marveled how God has brought so many precious brothers and sisters together with like passions. SI has been a Gos send for me. I hope to see some of you in Greenoch. :-)

2008/8/25 21:06Profile
passerby

Re: What fire has the younger generation acquired

This is a part of the apostasy that the apostles were telling us.

Is the End Days marked with a great worlwide revival or it will be a pervasive apostasy that eludes even the church eyes.

2008/8/26 0:27Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

In returning to the original question I have observed that any religious excitement is short lived (at best) that is cultivated by a festival of modern music. I am deliberately making a distinction between modern Christian music and genuine worship. This generation believes they are the same but they are not.

I am constantly challenged to understand what spiritual dynamic is at work in any environment where people are "calling on God" and there is no lasting fruit. Attendees claim a mighty move of God, but where is the lasting fruit? If the hearts of the people are right, surely God would come and revive individuals and empower them to get about the work. Perhaps this is a clue?

If the FIRE of God does not fall it is because the altar is not full. Romans 12:1, 2 are front and center at this point. When the altar is FULL the Fire of God will come. God has got to be able to believe us. If you have no Fire He did not believe you; I think it is fair to say. He came to send FIRE on the earth and desires it to be kindled.

Can 10,000 youth come to an event and "acquire the Fire" and the city not even know they are in town. When 120 turned the world upside down, what are we to make of a so-called mighty move of God that no one even knows went down in the city? There is an awful contrast between Acts 2 and what these would call "acquiring the Fire."

If the Holy Ghost fell in these arenas the world would know it. he would come and deal with the Christians to return to their first love and the sinners to turn and repent. We have to tremble when folk feel a 'presence' [i]but[/i] don't feel conviction and yet there is sin and compromise in their life. I believe we must resolve to cease calling any phenomena "the presence of God" that does not carry with it conviction of sin. I think we need to view as suspect any 'feeling' that does not bring us to focus on our relationship with God . I think we need to view as questionable any Spirit that does not come to the intent of empowering a people both to will and to do God's good pleasure. Can the Holy Spirit come upon a person just to trifle for a night of good feeling? Real JOY and Peace comes when the love of God is poured out into our heart and we are constrained to get about the Master's business. That may be a good starting point.

2008/8/26 6:05Profile

Re:

Passerby writes

"Is the End Days marked with a great worlwide revival or it will be a pervasive apostasy that eludes even the church eyes."

It is clear that the end of days will be marked by a "great falling away." What passerby says directly ties into what Robertw was talking about. It is the rise of the "lawless," one. This spirit of lawlessness is not only already at work within the "Church," it is pervasive. What is Lawlessness? If one goes to a country where the government has broken down, where there is a state of anarchy, then that would be lawlessness. Each man and woman doing what seemed right to them. We are living in the generation of lawlessness and it is not confined to the "younger generation." They have taken it to new levels, but they learned it from their parents. Jesus is their "saviour," but He is not their Lord.

So 10,000 can gather and make noise, but Robertw is exactly right. If 120 can rock the world, without the help of amplifiers, then what should 10,000 be able to do if they moved in the same power that moved the 120? At the risk of repeating myself, I believe the vital missing ingredient form the younger genertaion(teens, 20s and 30s) is Lordship and knowledge of the Word. The vital missing ingredient from actual saints(for there are far more than 120 in the world today) is the "Katanusso," power that Peter spoke of after Pentecost. This word, meaning to "stab in the heart," or to "violently agitate," or to "penetrate," is such a powerful word. Part of the problem is that good solid men of Christ, steeped in the Word of God, men vital to the health of the Christian community, have shied away from this or deny it altogether, either word or by ommision. And on the other side, Pentecostal folk, who believe in this are busy chasing miracles, while ignoring the greates miracle of all, the miracle of the new heart. Evans Roberts new of "Katanusso," power and we saw the Welsh Revival. D.L Moody knew of this same power. This story has been quoted many times on SI but it bears repeating. When men of God hunger after this, perhaps we can save some from this soulish generation..........

D. L. Moody, while speaking at Northfield, related the following experience: "This blessing came upon me suddenly - like a flash of lightning. For months I had been hungering and thirsting for power in service. I had come to that point that I think I would have died if I had not got it. I remember I was walking in the streets of New York. I had more heart in the business I was about than if I had not belonged to this world at all. Right there on the street the power of God seemed to come upon me. I was filled with a sense of God's goodness and felt as though I could take the whole world to my heart. I took the old sermon that I had preached before without any power; it was the same old truth, but there was a new power. Many were impressed and converted.

This happened years after I was converted myself. It was in the fall of 1871. I had been very anxious to have a large Sunday school and a large congregation, but there were few conversions. I remember I used to take pride in having the largest congregation in Chicago on a Sunday night. Two godly women used to come and hear me. One of them came to me one night after I had preached very satisfactorily as I thought. I fancied she was going to congratulate me on my success, but she said, we are praying for you. I wondered if I had made some blunder that they talked that way.

Next Sunday night they were there again, evidently in prayer while I was preaching. One of them said, we are still praying for you. I could not understand it, and said: Praying for me! Why don't you pray for the people? I am all right. Ah, they said, you are not all right. You have not got power; there is something lacking, but God can qualify you. I did not like it at first, but I got to thinking it over, and after a little time I began to feel a desire to have what they were praying for. They continued to pray for me, and the result was that at the end of three months God sent this blessing on me.

I would not for the whole world go back to where I was before 1871. Since then I have never lost the assurance that I am walking in communion with God, and I have a joy in his service that sustains me and makes it easy work. I believe I was an older man then than I am now; and I have been growing ever since. I used to be very tired when preaching three times a week; now I can preach the gospel five times a day and never get tired at all. I have done three times the work I did before, and it gets better and better every year. It is so easy to do a thing when love prompts you. It would be better, it seems to me, to go and break stones than to take to preaching in a professional spirit. A man can accomplish more in one year with this power than he can do in forty years without it. Jonathan Edwards said he was able to do more in Northampton in one week than he did in seven years before the Spirit of God came upon him for service."

This is the secret; the filling of the Holy Spirit. The outstanding men, men who have stirred the world for God, testify to it.

2008/8/26 8:59

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy