SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Geenna and Hades

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Geenna and Hades

This is something I stumbled across in studying some of the early Christian's beliefs.

In the KJV there are three Greek words translated "hell". The two I'd like to focus on are Geenna (or Gehenna) and Hades. The source said, "To the early church, Gehenna and Hades were two different places. Gehenna is the lake of fire, the place of eternal punishment after the resurrection. Hades is the intermediate place where souls await the resurrection."

What do you all think of this in terms of how we (meaning most Christians) think of hell? Is this what is really taught in Scripture?

2008/8/15 14:17Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re: Geenna and Hades

If you recall the story (this is not listed as a parable) of a certain rich man and the poor man, Lazarus.

Luke 16, verses 19 - 31.

In verse 23, the rich man is revealed to be in "hell", or "hades".

So, it is what Jesus taught.

Normally, it would be easier to simply answer directly, however, seeing as you are asking a more descriptive question in terms of definitions and biblical usage I will rather put my fingers to plagarism.
:-P

I hope the following answers your questions.

The following is taken from the Strong's Concordance:
(my apologies for any typos if I missed any)

86. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls: hell (10x), grave (1x).

Hades is
(1) the region of departed spirits of the lost (but including the blessed dead in periods preceding the ascension of Christ).
(2) It corresponds to Sheol in the OT.
(3) For the condition of the inhabitants see Luke 16:23-31. The word is used always by the Lord (Mt 11:23; 16:18; Lk 10:15; 16:23).
(4) It is used with reference to the soul of Christ (Acts 2:27, 31).
(5) Christ declares that He has the keys of it (Rev 1:18).
(6) In Rev 6:8 it is personified,
--- (6a) with the signification of the temporary destiny of the doomed;
--- (6b) it is to give up those who are therein (Rev 20:13), and
--- (6c) it is to be cast into the lake of fire (Rev 20:14).

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

1067. Geenna -- valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (fig.) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment: hell (9x), hell fire + 3588 + 4442 (3x).

I looked up Strong's number 4442 and found this interesting tidbit, so I added it too:

4442. [i]Pur[/i], "fire" (lit. or fig., spec. lightning): fiery (1x), fire (73x).

[i]Pur[/i] is used (besides its ordinary natural significance):
(1) of the holiness of God, which consumes all that is inconsistent therewith, Heb 10:27; 12:29; cf. Rev 1:14; 2:18; 10:1; 15:2; 19:12;
--- (1a) similarly of the holy angels as His ministers, Heb 1:7;
--- (1b) in Rev 3:18 it is symbolic of that which tries the faith of saints, producing what will glorify the Lord;
(2) of the divine judgment, testing the deeds of believers, at the judgment seat of Christ 1 Cor 3:13 and 15;
(3) of the fire of divine judgment upon the rejectors of Christ, Mt 3:11 (where a distinction is to be made between the baptism of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and the "fire" of divine retribution; Acts 2:3 could not refer to baptism); Lk 3:16;

--- I personally disagree with this last comment, point (3). The Holy Ghost Fire and the Fire of Divine Retribution is the very same Consuming Fire that God is. And Acts 2:3 is directly referred to baptism (the cloven tongues of fire that appeared and sat upon each of the disciples at Pentecost). I would think that anyone who had understood point (1), the holiness of God, would not have made this misunderstanding of point (3), baptism of the Holy Spirit of God.

[b]Holiness[/b] of God ... which consumes all that is inconsistent therewith
Baptism of the [b]Holy[/b] Spirit ... Acts 15:9, purifying their hearts by faith.

Anyways, back to the Concordance.

(4) of the judgments of God at the close of the present age previous to the establishment of the kingdom of Christ in the world, 2 Th 1:8; Rev 18:8;
(5) of the "fire" of Hell, to be endured by the ungodly hereafter, Mt 5:22; 13:42, 50; 18:8, 9; 25:41; Mk 9:43, 48; Lk 3:17;
(6) of human hostility both to the Jews and to Christ's followers, Lk 12:49;
(7) as illustrative of retributive judgment upon the luxurious and tyrannical rich, Jas 5:3;
(8) of the future overthrow of the Babylonian religious system at the hands of the Beast and the nations under him, Rev 17:16;
(9) of the turning the hearts of an enemy to repentance by repaying his unkindness with kindness, Rom 12:20;

--- Really like this previous point (9).

(10) of the tongue, as governed by a "fiery" disposition and as exercising a destructive influence over others, Jas 3:6;
(11) as symbolic of the danger of destruction, Jude 23.

And, back to 1067. Geenna

Geenna
(1) represents the Hebrew Ge-Hinnom (the valley of Tophet);
(2) it is found twelve times in the NT, eleven of which are in the Synoptists (Matthew, Mark, Luke), in every instance as uttered by the Lord Himself.
--- (2a) He who says to his brother, Thou fool will be in danger of "the hell of fire," Mt 5:22;
--- (2b) it is better to pluck out (a metaphorical description of irrevocable law) an eye that causes its possessor to stumble, than that his "whole body be cast into hell," Mt 5:29; similarly with the hand, v. 30;
--- (2c) in Mt 18:8, 9, the admonitions are repeated, with an additional mention of the foot; here, too, the warning concerns the person himself (for which obviously the "body" stands in chapt. 5);
--- (2d) in Mt 18:8, "the eternal fire" is mentioned as the doom, the chacarcter of the region combined in the phrase "the hell of fire," Mt 18:9.
--- (2e) To the passage in Matt. 18, that in Mark 9:43-47, is parallel; here to the word "hell" are applied the extended descriptions "the unquenchable fire" and "where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched."
(3) That God, "after He hath killed, hath power to cast into hell,"
--- (3a) is assigned as a reason why He should be feared with the fear that keeps from evil doing, Lk 12:5;
--- (3b) the parallel passage to this in Mt 10:28 declares, not the casting in, but the doom which follows, namely, the destruction (not the loss of being, but of well-being) of "both soul and body."
(4) In Mt 23 the Lord denounces the scribes and Pharisees, who in proselytizing a person "make him two-fold more a son of hell" than themselves (v. 15),
--- (4a) the phrase here being expressive of moral characteristics, and
--- (4b) declares the impossibility of their escaping "the judgment of hell," v. 33.
(5) In Jas 3:6 "hell" is described as the source of the evil done by misuse of the tongue; here the word stands for the powers of darkness, whose characteristics and destiny are those of "hell."
(6) For terms descriptuive of "hell," see e.g., Mt 13:42; 25:46; Phil 3:19; 2 Th 1:9; Heb 10:39; 2 Pet 2:17; Jude 13; Rev 2:11; 19:20; 20:6, 10, 14; 21:8.
(7) The verb tartaroo, translated "cast down to hell: in 2 Pet 2:4, signifies to consign to Tartarus, which is neither Sheol nor hades nor hell, but the place where those angels whose special sin is referred to in that passage are confined "to be reserved unto judgment"; the region is described as "pits of darkness."

2008/8/15 17:22Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Hades is a Greek word; the equiivalent of the
Hebrew word Sheol which means a place of
suffering and torment. Gehenna was a place
where the corpses of thieves, robbers, and
other criminals were burned. Jesus used these
terms to refer to an eternal place of suffering
and torment beyond description!!

2008/8/15 18:03Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Reply to HomeFree89 A great thread and an opportunity for all pilgrims in this wayward land to cry out a warning to those that have gone whoreing after the god of this world.

You are spiritually dead and only God Our Father can raise you up and put spiritual flesh on your dead bones!

Geenna,The abode o all the spiritually dead that serve the god of greed and covetousness, Molech "your king" you are castaways from the City of God. And because you neglected the spiritual upbringing of your children they too will also worship the god of this world.
You seek and have not, because all your gain turns to rubbish and corruption and is cast out, hauled away and cast into the pit along with the days of your lives and the days of your children.

2 Chr. 28:
3. Moreover he burnt incense in the valley of the son of Hinnom, and burnt his children in the fire, after the abominations of the heathen whom the Lord had cast out before the children of Israel.

Jeremiah 19
1. Thus saith the Lord, Go and get a potter's earthen bottle, and take of the ancients of the people, and of the ancients of the priests;
2. And go forth unto the valley of the son of Hinnom, which is by the entry of the east gate, and proclaim there the words that I shall tell thee,
3. And say, Hear ye the word of the Lord, O kings of Judah, and inhabitants of Jerusalem; Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, the which whosoever heareth, his ears shall tingle.
4. Because they have forsaken me, and have estranged this place, and have burned incense in it unto other gods, whom neither they nor their fathers have known, nor the kings of Judah, and have filled this place with the blood of innocents;
5. They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind:
6. Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that this place shall no more be called Tophet, nor The valley of the son of Hinnom, but The valley of slaughter.
7. And I will make void the counsel of Judah and Jerusalem in this place; and I will cause them to fall by the sword before their enemies, and by the hands of them that seek their lives: and their carcases will I give to be meat for the fowls of the heaven, and for the beasts of the earth.
8. And I will make this city desolate, and an hissing; every one that passeth thereby shall be astonished and hiss because of all the plagues thereof.
9. And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them.
10. Then shalt thou break the bottle in the sight of the men that go with thee,
11. And shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Even so will I break this people and this city, as one breaketh a potter's vessel, that cannot be made whole again: and they shall bury them in Tophet, till there be no place to bury.
12. Thus will I do unto this place, saith the Lord, and to the inhabitants thereof, and even make this city as Tophet:
13. And the houses of Jerusalem, and the houses of the kings of Judah, shall be defiled as the place of Tophet, because of all the houses upon whose roofs they have burned incense unto all the host of heaven, and have poured out drink offerings unto other gods.
14. Then came Jeremiah from Tophet, whither the Lord had sent him to prophesy; and he stood in the court of the Lord's house; and said to all the people,
15. Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring upon this city and upon all her towns all the evil that I have pronounced against it, because they have hardened their necks, that they might not hear my words.

The people of the free world today are busy sacrificing themselves and their children to the god of wealth. [ greed and covetousness ] Both parents working and bringing home in little plastic bags that which is turned to rubbish and corruption and mixed with all the other corruptions that bring death and judgement of Holy God. Who and what is becoming your masters? OPEN YOUR SPIRITUAL EYES.

Eddie

2008/8/16 9:14Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

What about the the Greek word, tartaroo. How does that fit into all of this? Many take this as a holding place for fallen angels.

Jordan

2008/8/26 19:49Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re:

The Greek word, tartaroo, I mentioned at the very last of my last post.

2008/8/26 23:26Profile
clintstone

tulsa,ok.

Re:

boG, i love the send the fire statement at the end of your posts. i am baptised in the fire from time to time and i believe i can stay ther all the time. waves of liquid type heat flow all over me and the love of God just wells upinmy soul and bursts forht with prayer and worship with mighty confessions of who He is. i have had my shirt soaked from his fire on me , and my lips have felt heat like blisters when this happens. i like your answer on geena and hades. i do have ?s about the born again jesus of kenneth copeland i do not agree with it and i have read books and searched about the truth of what the bible says. i do not find where Jesus died spiritually in the bible. do you know of excellent books telling the truth on this. i have read judith mattas book on this and have looked at letusreason . org. how about some old timers addressing this issue.

2008/8/27 17:47Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Thanks boG,

I totally missed that. :-)

Jordan

2008/8/28 17:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy