Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : do all in the name of the Lord Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Re: self-righteousness

Quote:
I exalt my position in Christ beyond what I should. I have been slowly learning to smite my chest and say to the Lord, “have mercy on me, a sinner” rather than to thank God that I am not “of the world”. Not that I say so with physical breath, but my attitudes sometime proclaims this on rooftops! The spirit has been very tender with me in teaching me this. It has not been shoved down my throat- a method that I sometimes use, wrongly, in teaching. God has so much to teach us if we will take the time to be still and listen.

Jimm, you speak also what is in my heart right now. I am dealing with this in much sorrow. Yes, the Lord has taken his time with me and done it in unexpected ways. I have not "arrived" at any such holiness or position and do not want to make that impression on others. My only prayer is that God be glorified through me- that's it. I have decided that I will have no agenda other than this. He can show me and lead me as how He wants to be glorified through me.

I am focusing on the beattitudes. For too long, I thought it was my job to admonish and chasten- but i am not the judge- He is the judge. I can only be an example. Many say that yes, Jesus was the Lamb but He is also the Lion and a mighty King. But while He was on earth He taught us by example, how we as humans were supposed to behave- and other than the way He behaved here on earth -there is no other way for us. The humblest of the humble, giving His life for the sinner, never defending Himself, welcoming the childlike and those who were poor in spirit. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Thnaks for sharing from your humble heart!

In Him, Chanin

2004/7/10 15:08Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

James 1
19 Therefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;
20 for the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

"slow to speak" is sometimes the hardest part of the Bible for me to obey.

Galatians 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

In our speech, as in all things, we must almost always be these things.

I say almost as some of them cannot always coexist with the proper reaction to hypocrisy and other bold-faced evils when encountered in the hearts of men. Take for example, the presence (or lack thereof) of gentleness in certain portions of Stephen's discourse in Acts. Nonetheless, such exceptions are only to be made when the necessity is clearly known (such knowledge is more difficult in such a forum as the internet) and I should think they are never to extend to exclude love, joy, peace, goodness, faithfulness, or self-control.

If anyone sees in themselves a consistent lack of any of these qualities, and does not feel a burden for remedying the problem, they might benefit from reading the three preceding verses (Galatians 5:19-21).

There are undoubtedly other passages to be found on the topic, but those should do for now.

Ironically, I've found that where I used to (and sometimes still) yearn to speak up to proclaim what I believed to be the truth, and particularly to speak against those ideas hostile to me, I now crave freedom from the moral responsibility to speak in many cases, that I might be silent with a good conscience. Nonetheless, I'm often compelled to speak where I'd much rather God communicate the message directly.

2004/7/10 15:46Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re: do all in the name of the Lord Jesus

Hi Ron,
I was deeply moved when you said:
"If you imagine all these burden/interest-sets as circles intersecting you will see that sometimes there would be a large overlap between two circles; some smaller and some hardly at all. When there is little overlap there will be little interaction between one person and another. However, there may be a lively interaction if someone else’s burden/interest-set collides with my/our own. Sometimes it is not easy to see what sparks such a ‘lively interaction’.

Was that Owl Patrol stuff? All they ever taught us in Wolf Patrol was keeping the square doo-dads seperate from the round widgets.

Anyway, sounds good to me Bro.!

Next time you think about "sparking" close to my circle, please pass the marshmallows.

Clutch

2004/7/10 18:26Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Power and wisdom

Miss Chanin

I think our burden/interest-set has overlapped on this occasion! That (beatitudes)is exactly what I am doing right now. Actually, I am on the entire Sermon on the Mount. Also John 14-17 seems to go well with this for me. It is something that I have read so many times, and that has been preached (very poorly) on so many times that I had almost become numb to the words of our Lord. I marvel at how simple the Sermon is and yet, every aspect of our flesh resists it.

I have been one to read the bible seeking power and knowledge for myself and ironically, that was the beginning of weakness and foolishness! We must continue to die to self and our attitude should be that of the Lord Jesus as we confess that we can do nothing of ourselves. That is, not to try to use God’s wisdom and power, but to be used by God’s wisdom and power.

This concept is not developed fully in my mind yet so I will not say anything other than that.

James

2004/7/11 8:28Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy