SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The BEST bible translations (in English)?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
thesaintdan

Southwest England, UK

The BEST bible translations (in English)?

Which translation do you favour and why?
All translations seem to tow a line between word for word accuracy and the translation of the meaning or gist of the passage.
Obviously no translation is perfect but some are considered to be more inspired...
I sometimes read two translations alongside: NIV and ESV but then that can be hard work...

2008/8/9 16:53Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: The BEST bible translations (in English)?

I prefer the New King James and the New American
Standard versions for their closeness to the
original KOINe Greek. The English Standard is
also very accurate, the NIV more readable.

2008/8/9 17:49Profile
theopenlife

Re:

I began reading the Puritans and some classic authors, especially Matthew Henry. Eventually I just "went for it" and determined to become familiar with the KJV. Within a month it was "normal" to me. If I have a hard passage, I sometimes glance at an ESV, but more often just re-read the passage or check a commentary.

This "Instant Commentary" site is great:
[url=http://eword.gospelcom.net/comments/]Online Commentaries by passage[/url]

It has several notable commentators works accessible for any verse.

I think "hmmhmm" (Christian from Sweden, on SermonIndex) uses a KJV, and his first language isn't even English!

2008/8/10 0:18Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:

I think "hmmhmm" (Christian from Sweden, on SermonIndex) uses a KJV, and his first language isn't even English!

:-) yes that is right, for me i use the kjv because there is so much study aid that is cheap to go with it, so much concordances, references and so on. In swedish this would cost a fortune, that is one reason, another is because of the different Greek texts, in swedish we have not one single translation from the TR manuscripts. So that is another reason i prefer it, yet another is i find this translation very powerful and i find it feeding my spirit.

I do have some troubles sometimes especially in OT to sometimes stay with "the plot" so to say, in some of the prophets and sometimes with proverbs. But as Openlife i consult another version, Nasb or NKJV i find good ones, also i have my Swedish versions also :-)

also i have found it a great blessing reading NLT and KJV side by side.

And of course if there are words we dont understand, its good for our minds to study and go seek in dictionaries and other ways enrich our learning, we in this generation always seek the easiest way of getting things, but there is no microwave way to holiness or knowing the scriptures, no matter what version we prefer, we need take it with much time and discipline and patience. And accompanied with much prayer and also a must of meditating upon what we have just "eaten" spiritually.

And the most important, whatever you read, and whatever version, stick with the one you obey most, the one who makes you the most like Jesus.

2008/8/10 3:14Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

also a side note, there will be some video? or audio available from [url=http://ncw.biblebase.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=502&forum=3&post_id=6067#forumpost6067]Ron Bailey[/url] very soon on just this topic, about different versions, so bookmark this link and check back to see when this will be available.

2008/8/10 3:30Profile
thesaintdan

Southwest England, UK

Re: Best bible translations

Thanks for the input guys, I'm from the U.K. so good to make contact with fellow believers from different countries..
Dan

2008/8/10 13:32Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Quote:

thesaintdan wrote:
Which translation do you favour and why?
All translations seem to tow a line between word for word accuracy and the translation of the meaning or gist of the passage.
Obviously no translation is perfect but some are considered to be more inspired...
I sometimes read two translations alongside: NIV and ESV but then that can be hard work...

The three I use the most would be the ESV (I use this for all my devotions and most studies), the KJV, and the HCSB.

For a good website on Bible versions click [url=http://www.kjvonly.org/]here[/url]

2008/8/10 16:42Profile
growingholly

sorry, i thought this didn't post so i made a different one, see above..sorry

2008/8/11 12:20Profile
growingholly

I told you of my ways, and you answered me; teach me your laws. Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wonders.

these words are from psalm 119. be encouraged!!! i am so grateful that God has placed in you a desire to know His Word!! i really am; i'd give you a hug if i were there.

God is so big that He can use any translation. but also, i am alongside you in desiring to understand His Word in accurate translations.

that said, i personally prefer the nasb and complete jewish Bible, for their accuracy to the original text (i recommend to check out www.e-sword.net for a free download of the original hebrew and greek words so you can learn the original meanings). additionally, i have felt very pulled to learn more about the ancient hebrew culture lately. learning their culture and some sayings that resulted from their culture have really helped to deepen my understanding of a lot of the Word. praise God for His faithfulness to His holy ones!

the bottom line (an american saying meaning, "the profit of this", or "the most important thing"-see? understanding cultural sayings can give meanings that the words themselves may not...) is that God can and will translate if the translation you are reading fails. i have personally experienced this. feel free to pm me for some examples if you'd like. i don't want to put stuff on here that may cause others to stumble if they prefer a particular translation, etc. plus, i am not anyone at all! so who's to say i have the right one either? but truly, i plead the blood of Christ, as do many of us here, that He would exert His matchless grace so as to aid us in understanding His grace and His glory. praise to God, Most High, Who gives good and perfect gifts to His children. like revealing His Word by His Spirit. what a God we serve. wow.....

anyways, love to you, friend, in Christ Jesus. may God be with you...and He will...through all this, and may your heart be blessed richly with the presence of the holy One, the Lord Jesus Christ. peace and grace to you all.

love and love.

2008/8/11 12:37Profile

Re:

For me... the KJV.

Why? Because in my opinion the evidence shows that the underlying text both for the OT & NT is more reliable. It is my firm conviction that underlying text of the KJV (and most other translations before 1881) is the preserved Word of God. It is also my firm conviction that the underlying text for all translations since 1881 (and that would include Catholic translations) are seriously flawed and corrupted.

This has been debated on this forum over and over... there are those who disagree with me. Thats ok. I dont care, I havent changed my position. And they havent changed theirs.

The important thing to remember is that our salvation is not based upon which translation we read... so if a brother loves the NIV... he is my brother.

Krispy

2008/8/11 12:59

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy