SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Eternal destinies - repackaging the same message to reach the lost

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
thesaintdan

Southwest England, UK

Eternal destinies - repackaging the same message to reach the lost

Hi I'm new on this forum, have been downloading sermons to listen to later - a hobby of mine...

We need to preach the full gospel don't we that includes hell but it can be packaged in such a way in our personal witness to others so as not to scare people away but rather make them think and then we can say more...so just talk about eternal destinies and let them ask more? hope that makes sense?

What do people think about that?

2008/8/9 11:25Profile
Jimotheus

Re: Eternal destinies - repackaging the same message to reach the lost

Greetings "thesaintdan"

Welcome to the forum. In response to what you have said about repackaging the gospel, I have some grave concerns about such a proposal. First, "re-packaging" suggest that the gospel is something to be marketed and sold like some common commodity that if the customer doesn't "purchase" it with this label and design, we'll just simply "re-package" it in another label and design that they will like, and then we can make a sale.
This is what is called, "salesmanship evangelism." I know that there are many in the Church world today that are under the impression that we need a different "method" or several different "methods" of reaching the lost. They even have a little cliche that goes something like this, "The message never changes, but the method does." This kind of so-called "re-packaging" of the gospel is usually motivated by a need to be sensitive to the prospective convert. The bible makes it clear that we are to simply and plainly tell the truth about where they stand in God's sight, and how to be reconciled to God through Jesus Christ. The Bible (the inspired word of the living God) has already given us the message; the method, and the commission we need to fulfil the gospel mandate. God wasn't negligent to leave the Church of the 21st Century without a method of evangelism. What God has proscribed in His word is sufficient for the Church in the 21st Century. The problem is we seem to be too chicken, and cowardice to just preach it with boldness, and authority.
Make no mistake about it: there is no way we can "re-package" the gospel without perverting the gospel. If the prospective convert rejects the plain truth about the Lord Jesus Christ; heaven, and Hell, but then turns around and recieves a "re-packaged" version, do you honestly think he, or she has recieved the real Jesus of the Holy Bible? And as far as being "sacred off" with the message of Hellfire; we do well to inform the hearer that running off because they were frightened by the danger dying in their sins and going to Hell will not change their eternal destiny. If a person does not belong to Christ, they await nothing but the wrath of God. This is something that should terrify anyone who is lost and undone. Yes, the lost should tremble because the threat is a very real threat, "The wicked shall be turned into Hell, and all nations that forget God." Psalms 9:17. The Bible also says that by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil. We should use the method that God has already given in His word, and not "re-package" the message to appeal to the world and give them a "jesus" they like while cloking the real JESUS in candy-coated positive platitudes. Remember, the cross was not a "seeker-sensitive" event.

2008/8/9 18:41Profile
learn

Re:

This is a clip from Paul Washer sharing how to witness to non-believers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt9V4Q5n9gs

2008/8/9 20:02Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Eternal destinies - repackaging the same message to reach the lost

We must testify to the truth of the gospel of
salvation; that includes God's righteousness
and holy anger against sin and His judgment to
come, and we must preach Christ and Him
crucified, who alone is able to deliver us
and save us from sin, judgment, and hell!!
A personal witness is always the best witness.
Let them know how the grace of God has changed
your heart and your life and that Jesus is a
living, real Saviour!!

2008/8/10 13:38Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Actually, I would disagree that a personal testimony is the best witness.

The truth of the gospel has nothing to do with me or you. It is the declaration of an objective event that occured in actual history when Jesus Christ bore the wrath of God for the sins of His people. He will return to judge the living and the dead. Those who trust in Christ's propitiatory sacrifice will be saved from the wrath of God. The Lord will also give them a heart of flesh and write His laws on their hearts.

We must declare the objective facts of the gospel and command all men to repent and believe it. My personal testimony is irrelevant to the truth of the Gospel, nor did the apostles base their arguments that people should believe the gospel because of "what it did for them".

2008/8/10 14:31Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re:

I respect your view, Taylor, but I believe
unbelievers need to see the evidence of the
gospel truth at work in your heart: a changed
LIFE!!

2008/8/10 18:26Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:
Actually, I would disagree that a personal testimony is the best witness.

The truth of the gospel has nothing to do with me or you. It is the declaration of an objective event that occured in actual history when Jesus Christ bore the wrath of God for the sins of His people. He will return to judge the living and the dead. Those who trust in Christ's propitiatory sacrifice will be saved from the wrath of God. The Lord will also give them a heart of flesh and write His laws on their hearts.

We must declare the objective facts of the gospel and command all men to repent and believe it. My personal testimony is irrelevant to the truth of the Gospel, nor did the apostles base their arguments that people should believe the gospel because of "what it did for them".

Hey brother,

I don't understand the argument here. Paul gave his testimony several times. If the truth of the gospel has had no effect on your life and you have no experience with it then my brother you are no witness.

Jesus said after the Holy Ghost comes upon us we are to be His witnesses.

The truth of the gospel has everything to do with the one's who are witnessing. The spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Jesus.

The only people who can truly witness the gospel are those who become the truth they preached.

2008/8/10 22:48Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy