SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do Today's Churches Give God a Subordinate Role?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Do Today's Churches Give God a Subordinate Role?

Do Today's Churches Give God a Subordinate Role?

Quoting John MacArthur . . .

Many in the church today believe that the only way to reach the world is to give the unchurched multitudes what they want. . . Subtly the overriding goal is church attendance and worldly acceptability rather than a transformed life. Preaching the Word and boldly confronting sin are seen as archaic, ineffectual means of winning the world. After all, those things actually drive most people away. Why not entice people into the fold by offering what they want, creating a friendly, comfortable environment, and catering to the very desires that constitute their strongest urges? As if we might get them to accept Jesus by somehow making Him more likable or making His message less offensive. That kind of thinking badly skews the mission of the church.

The Great Commission is not a marketing manifesto. Evangelism does not require salesmen, but prophets. It is the Word of God, not any earthly enticement, that plants the seed for the new birth (1 Peter 1:23). We gain nothing but God's displeasure if we seek to remove the offense of the cross.

Something is wrong with a philosophy that relegates God and His Word to a subordinate role in the church. It is clearly unbiblical to elevate entertainment over biblical preaching and worship in the church service. Sadly, some actually believe that their salesmanship can bring people into the kingdom more effectively than a sovereign God - a philosophy that has opened the door to worldliness in the church.

2008/8/8 22:00Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Do Today's Churches Give God a Subordinate Role?

AMEN to this!! Churches have become so caught up
with methods and programs they have forgotten it
is the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ
that has the power to save!! It is the testimony
of the truth that convicts hearts!! It is the
witness of the Spirit that reveals Christ as the
Saviour!!

2008/8/8 22:54Profile
eternalvalue

Boaz, Al

Re:

Not only do we compromise the gospel, we give God 11:00am to 12:00pm to do His "thing"so we can go about our fleshly desires the rest of the day. That is why most churches do not have a Sunday night service, because we are to busy doing our "thing".

2008/8/9 7:15Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re: Do Today's Churches Give God a Subordinate Role?

Wonderful article by Pastor MacArthur. This is sad but true. Most churches today appeal to the world and as keith daniel once said "if we try to win the world with the world the world will win you" I feel that most churches do focus on getting numbers instead of changed lives and they sacrifice souls in the process for the lack of true regeneration. I have a friend that works on staff at a church and he told me that he went to a leadership conference in chicago held by a popular pastor of this huge church. he mustered up this conference with the help of some savvy marketing guru's. Well they told them one of the ways they could get the world in the church would be to paint the doors of the church red to capture the eye or appeal to the lustful eye. I asked my friend well whatever happened to John 6:44 do they think that's still valid for today

John 6:44
No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

Or what about

John 6:65
And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

I don't know how a red door on a church will bring them in my dear brothers( its nuts to think that way). But I do know that the glory of Gods presence will draw men unto himself for an everlasting treasure for himself and for his glory alone. Great article brother TJ

2008/8/9 8:00Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
paint the doors of the church red to capture the eye

Oh my, what a cynical regard for people's hearts. No wonder truly hungry people can't find food in these places. Why not dangle shiny metallic objects from a string? It works on monkeys too.

MC

2008/8/9 12:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Why not dangle shiny metallic objects from a string? It works on monkeys too.

LOL!

Seriously, now is that not what a lot of churches are using - literally?! Music, loud raucous music, copied from the world? Last weekend a brother told us of a church that sponsored fireworks, served free hot dogs, drinks to the public at a recent 4th July celebration. Along with this their band played patriotic music, etc. A fellow who never darkens a church door was so impressed he said he will now attend their church if they play that kind of music....

Oh! sigh....

ginnyrose

2008/8/9 18:00Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy