SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Just needing to share

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Just needing to share

Recently I have been seeing that there are areas of sin in my life that I need to repent of and I do, but I don't always feel the brokenness over my sin that I know I should. I love the Lord very much and I should be broken hearted when I sin against Him always and yet there are times that I almost feel as if I am going through the motions. I don't want this to be. I don't just want my times of repentance to be empty words to ease my conscious. I don't want to trample on the grace and mercy God has shown me. He is my beloved how can I treat Him this way? I know that I really need to pray about the attitude of my heart in this area.

Thanks for listening tonight
God Bless
MJ

2008/8/7 1:38Profile
learn

Re: Just needing to share

Quote:

MaryJane wrote:
Recently I have been seeing that there are areas of sin in my life that I need to repent of and I do, but I don't always feel the brokenness over my sin that I know I should. I love the Lord very much and I should be broken hearted when I sin against Him always and yet there are times that I almost feel as if I am going through the motions. I don't want this to be. I don't just want my times of repentance to be empty words to ease my conscious. I don't want to trample on the grace and mercy God has shown me. He is my beloved how can I treat Him this way? I know that I really need to pray about the attitude of my heart in this area.

Thanks for listening tonight
God Bless
MJ

I understand what you mean because I have gone through it before. Continue to pray and ask Him to help you repent. There are times when He will do it very fast. There are times it seems He is hardly moving. Only He knows what's best for us and sometimes we have to go through a few rounds of this (refining). In fact, I think it will be a livelong process.

You cannot on your ownself feel the repentance. Your duty is to keep praying and asking Him to help you repent. He will do it. Just rest secure that He knows the perfect timing on when to give it to you.

Phil 4:6-7
Be careful (anxious) for nothing : but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus

2008/8/7 1:54Profile

Re:

Quote:
You cannot on your ownself feel the repentance

I want to clarify something here because I think the use of the word "repentance" in this sentence is incorrect.

Repentence is not something you feel, it is something you [b]do[/b]. To repent is to turn from something and go in the other direction. When you repent of you sin, you turn from it and do it no more.

In the story of Moses and the Israelites in the desert scripture tells us that God repented from killing the entire nation of Israel right then and there. Does this mean that God sinned? No, of course not. It simply means that He intended to wipe them out, but changed His mind at the behest of Moses and went in another direction.

Now, to address the question at hand... I dont think any of us feel as sorrowful over sin as we should. Mainly because it's impossible for our human minds to completely grasp how offensive our sin is to God... and how great a price He paid in order to wash us of it.

You need to ask God to reveal to you the sins in your life, and ask Him to help you comprehend how offensive it is to Him. Thru this I think you will feel godly sorrow at the appropriate time. I think what you are referring to is Holy Spirit conviction.

But even if you dont feel a burden of sorrow, still confess your sins, ask Him to cover them with the Blood of Christ, and then repent. Turn from that sin and ask God to help you to never do it again.

And then move on...

Krispy

2008/8/7 8:53
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

I was halted this morning while reading John 13, end of the chapter, verse 37. Peter with much gusto and zeal says,

Quote:
"Lord I will lay down my life for you."

Quite softly and with much grace, our Lord replies,
Quote:
"Peter, will you lay down your life for me?"

The our Lord lays out the truth as if saying I know what is in your hearts, you do not. What is often in outward zeal and work is not what I am looking for, I know your heart, for in fact,
Quote:
"this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times."

But then, in the same breath, it seems to me, that our Lord says, starting in Chapter 14,
Quote:
"Let not your hearts be troubled."

Mighty words, full of comfort, full of life to our weary souls, inexhaustable...O, that I might grasp this import, this Holy word! Let not your hearts be troubled. Then with all sufficiency of faith, the blessedness of salvation by faith, our Lord continues in verse 1,
Quote:
"believe in God, believe also in Me."

This grace is so overwhelming. Our doubts, betrayals, failures all deserve punishment, beatings and death, but our Lord gives grace and more grace and says often,
Quote:
"Where are those that condemn you?
"Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more."

May the Lord bless you, dear ones, and encourage you with this Word!

2008/8/7 9:12Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Just needing to share

MaryJane,

You ask some good questions, some that are not all that unusual.

You have gotten good advice here - so far - in my opinion. There is, however, one point I would like to add.

How well do you [i][b]hate[/b][/i] the sins you have repented from? This should be a real clue as to your degree of repentance. When I sin or do something dreadfully stupid, and I hate it with a passion, the probability to repeat it is not that great. The sorrow you want to feel could be another form of 'hate', at least it seems so to me.

When our sins become disgusting to us, we are well on the way to repentance. When we still love/enjoy our sins that means there is not even a heart of repentance within.

My thoughts for whatever it is worth,
ginnyrose

2008/8/7 13:08Profile
MaryJane

Re:

I wanted to say thank you for your comments. I have been thinking about and putting to prayer some of what was shared here with me.

Ginnyrose what you wrote in particular has been on my heart since reading your post and I know Father is showing me something in this. I realize that in some of the areas of my heart that I truly have not come to a place of hating the sin. I am seeing that some of my attitude is because I have not truly seen the sin through the eyes of my Lord and so have not hated it as I should.Its been more of an attitude of "I know this is wrong and I need to stop it but not that I really hate the sin itself. I am praying and asking Father to open my eyes and heart to view this sin in my life the way that He does, that I will not become complacent in my walk with Him but rather daily in all things be willing to die to self holding nothing back from Him.

Thank you all again
God Bless
MJ

2008/8/7 18:41Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

Quote:
But even if you dont feel a burden of sorrow, still confess your sins, ask Him to cover them with the Blood of Christ, and then repent. Turn from that sin and ask God to help you to never do it again. And then move on... Krispy

Thanks for this Krispy. I hope you don't mind if I ask you to clarify a little. Are you saying that the feeling of sorrow/brokeness over sin is seperate from the reality of the need to repent?

If I realise I've sinned, I can turn and go in the opposite direction (the Hebrew meaning), and change my mind (the Greek meaning) on the matter, and that ACTION is repentance. A feeling of deeper conviction over my sinfulness generally, or even over a specific sin at a particular time, is important as the Lord leads, but isn't crucial to being able to repent of sin I know is sin.

Is that what you're saying? If so, I think I get it! If not... why don't I get it? :)

Thanks,

Adam

2008/8/7 18:52Profile
learn

Re:

Quote:

Quote:
You cannot on your ownself feel the repentance

I want to clarify something here because I think the use of the word "repentance" in this sentence is incorrect.

Repentence is not something you feel, it is something you [b]do[/b]. To repent is to turn from something and go in the other direction. When you repent of you sin, you turn from it and do it no more.

Definition and thesauraus meaning of repentance from Answers.com

--The act or process of repenting.
--Remorse or contrition for past conduct or sin
--A feeling of regret for one's sins or misdeeds

Just to clarify. :) Repentance can be an act or it can be a feeling or both. One should avoid doing the sin (ie act of repentance) but one should be able to feel the remorse too (ie the feeling of regret/repentance). One must do both.

Sometimes we don't feel /(enough of )the remorse. We stop doing the thing because we know its sinful and wrong but the feeling of remorse is not there.

We need to pray to God to forgive us, to help us from doing it again and to give us the appropriate 'feeling'.

2008/8/7 23:53Profile

Re:

I think it all works together. Obviously you would feel some conviction or else you wouldnt recognize it as sin. But I would not base repentance upon varying degrees of "feelings". If you know it was sin, regardless of your "feelings" you should still confess it and repent.

Feelings can be deceptive. Many times Christians struggle with things like "am I really saved? I dont feel saved!" ... but your salvation is not based upon how you feel.

Should we feel convicted? Absolutely, because it means the Holy Spirit is dealing with you. Should we feel godly sorrow over our sin? Absolutely... but lets be realistic about it. You may not "feel" as sorrowful as you think you should every single time. That should not prevent you from doing whats right.

And be sure your not viewing sorrow, conviction or guilt as a way of doing pennance for sin. In the Phillipines many so-called "Christians" (really pagan Catholics) crawl on their hands and knees until they bleed, and some drive nails thru their hands as a pennance for sin... to show God they have earned His forgiveness.

In a similar, yet lesser scale, many true believers think they need to endure mountains of guilt in order to earn God's forgiveness or favor. Most dont realize their doing this, but they do it. Be sure this isnt what you're doing.

Regardless of your "feelings", you know what scripture says you need to do. Confess your sins, and He is faithful and just to forgive you of your sins. Be in tune with the Holy Spirit on a daily basis and He will convict you as you need it... and you will have the appropriate amount of godly sorrow over your sins.

If you find there is no conviction at all over sin, no remorse, no godly sorrow... then you better take a look at yourself because that is a sign that a) you're not truly saved, or 2) you've been "given over". I dont think this applies to you at all, but this is a place you dont want to be.

Krispy

2008/8/8 7:53
adamdawkins

Re:

Cheers Krispy,. I think this is very good advice:

Do what we know we need to do in obedience, and let us feel sorrow to the extent that the Holy Spirit convicts us.

Personally, perhaps because my early Christianity was so emotion-focused, I'd much rather be un-moved, other than to the point of realising my sin and repenting, than worrying about the extent of my feelings on the matter.

That said, I totally understand the intent of this post - I think it's all too easy to get far too comfortable with sin in our lives, perhaps because we're far too comfortable with our 'repentance' too.

Here's a question: Can there be 'depths' of repentance? Or are you either repentant or not?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread!

2008/8/8 8:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy