SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : We Lack The Men and Message of Past Centuries

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

We Lack The Men and Message of Past Centuries

We Lack The Men and Message of Past Centuries

Quoting JC Ryle . . .

We lack both the men and the message of the 18th century. No wonder if we do not see that century's results. Give us like-men and a like-message, and have no fear that the Holy Ghost would grant us like-results. Wherein do evangelical Churchmen fall short of their great predecessors in the 18th century? Let us look that question fairly in the face.

Let us come to particulars [about the churchmen today]:

They fall short in doctrine. They are neither so full nor so distinct, nor so bold, nor so uncompromising. They are afraid of strong statements. They are too ready to fence, and guard, and qualify all of their teaching, as if Christ's gospel was a little baby, and could not be trusted to walk alone.

They fall short as preachers. They have neither the fervor, nor fire, nor thought, nor illustration, nor directness, nor holy boldness, nor grand simplicity of language which characterized the last century.

Above all, they fall short in life. They are not men of one thing, separate from the world, unmistakable men of God, ministers of Christ everywhere, indifferent to man's opinions, regardless of who is offended, if they only preach truth, always about their Father's business.

Christian Leaders of The 18th Century by J.C. Ryle

2008/8/5 20:05Profile
rbanks

Re: We Lack The Men and Message of Past Centuries

2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Hi Brother TJ,

This seems to be the prevailing spirit of our day.

I believe we who are in the present truth should be contending for the faith once delivered to the saints.

We need to return to Pentecost. The people of God need to surrender their all to God and seek Him with all their being to be filled with the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost was given to the church and we must not neglect being filled and staying filled.

It is not by might nor by power but by my Spirit says the Lord.

Jesus told the disciples not to go until they had received power from on high.

Nothing can be accomplished without the Holy Spirit and the lack of His presence and power today is the reason of so much ecumenicalism going on in what many are claiming to be church in our day.

Blessings to all!

2008/8/5 20:41Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Do we bit have the same bible as Leonard Ravenhill used to quote and the same god as the seventeeth century and eighteeth century!
Has our god lessened! Is he the same yesterday, today and forever,

Heb 13:8 - Show Context
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

is he the same god that parted the red sea and chose moses.
Are these statements degrading to our faith.
As it says

Heb 11:6 - Show Context
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

They fall short in doctrine. They are neither so full nor so distinct, nor so bold, nor so uncompromising. They are afraid of strong statements. They are too ready to fence, and guard, and qualify all of their teaching, as if Christ's gospel was a little baby, and could not be trusted to walk alone.

We have sermonindex and people who are affiliated!

They fall short as preachers. They have neither the fervor, nor fire, nor thought, nor illustration, nor directness, nor holy boldness, nor grand simplicity of language which characterized the last century.

We have sermonindex, Preachers such as Paul Washer, David Wilkerson and others.

Above all, they fall short in life. They are not men of one thing, separate from the world, unmistakable men of God, ministers of Christ everywhere, indifferent to man's opinions, regardless of who is offended, if they only preach truth, always about their Father's business.

Da 11:32 - Show Context
Those who do wickedly against the covenant he shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits

In all centuries there has been deceptions just because we have alot of them and in abundance does not mean that God does not have his bride.

We have men of boldness today, degrading them to a previous century is crazy!

2008/8/5 20:58Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: We Lack The Men and Message of Past Centuries

Oh, for men who will boldly and fearlessly
declare and proclaim the whole truth of the
saving grace and mercy of God with conviction
of the cross and a passion for His kingdom and
His will to be done!! God send us preachers
and prophets after His own heart!!

2008/8/5 22:24Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

May I dare say that we also lack men in high offices of politics and law that have backbones and can stand against opposition to their faith and beliefs.
Our society in America has become weak and a pandering after the flesh where all weakness dwells. It seems George W. Bush (I wish no debate here on what you think of him) is the last link of those men who had character and stood for priniciple. Yes, he has lacked in some ways, but in others he has been steadfast against much opposition. These are the men I am talking about...men that would preach with conviction, men that would stand in the center square, men that would do what they said. Once George W. steps down from his office it seems the flood of dissipation will overwhelm. What he was holding back by morality and character will now swarm over. Whoever gains office next will welcome a whatever priniciple and 'whatever' will happen!

When we hear of 'great quotes' made by men in the political arena we don't hear quotes by men today, but by those who have passed on. It seems this strong character and backbone has not been passed on to succeeding generations.

Yes, All, I do understand there are a few, even you all who stand daily in the marketplace and live lives holy as unto the Lord. There are those who bear the gospel faithfully in the pulpits every week. I understand that, but these men and women are made in the closets with God, many without parents that are setting such an example. Am I right? And are there any who can bear witness with the lack of character and integrity in our society? And can anyone associate with what I said about our president now and the new one to come? Does any of it jive with you...[this is all only my humble opinion.]

2008/8/6 9:27Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
In all centuries there has been deceptions just because we have alot of them and in abundance does not mean that God does not have his bride.

We have men of boldness today, degrading them to a previous century is crazy!

The piece I posted was taken from the book, Christian Leaders of The 18th Century, as I noted in the original post. It was written in the eighteen hundreds about some of the leaders of the seventeen hundreds and was not an attack on anyone in particular. Mr. Ryle was just making note of the differences from the previous century to his own.

Paul Washer, Leonard Ravenhill, and David Wilkerson have all done this very same thing. That is, make note of the downward progression that seems to take place from generation to generation. Never did J.C. Ryle, or any of the men you mentioned, imply or directly state the world is devoid of all good leaders.

J.C. Ryle was not attempting to degrade anyone; he was just making comments about the times in which he lived.

2008/8/6 9:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy