SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Prayer request: Relocating to California...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Prayer request: Relocating to California...

Hello...

My wife and I hope to relocate to the San Francisco Bay area of California within the next month. As you can imagine, this is a difficult move. We really don't have any family in the area. Nor have either of us been granted a definite job offer yet.

My wife's youngest sister, Lucia, recently graduated near the top of her large high school class. Tradition in Northeastern Mexico usually dictates that the youngest daughter stays home to take care of her parents. However, my wife and I urged Lucia to apply to major schools around the nation. She was accepted at some great schools -- but eventually settled upon the "full-ride" financial aid package offered by Stanford. Her parents only consented to this if a family member was to live near the school. Since my wife and I felt responsible, we decided to take this upon ourselves.

We don't necessarily have to live in Palo Alto, but within a relatively short drive (in case of emergency) of the school. We only recently began searching for jobs. We have recently received several possible opportunities, and we hope to travel to California next week in order to go through some interviews. My wife will be interviewing at several schools (including one military school, a few high schools and a couple of colleges). I will be applying at several area firms.

Please keep us in your prayers.

- We are extremely low on cash, and we will be driving to San Francisco (to keep a set of wheels as we go to interviews).
- We will also be looking for a low-cost hotel (preferably, a low-cost, extended stay hotel).
- We are searching for jobs AND an apartment or house to rent.
- We will also be looking for a good congregation or house church with which we can fellowship and offer encouragement (including Bilingual congregations).

Please pray that we find the right house and the right jobs. We would like to live within a half hour or hour from the Stanford University campus.

As you can imagine, this can be quite stressing. We know that the Lord is with us always, and we feel quite a bit of peace with this decision to relocate. We expect that San Francisco will be very different than Texas, Tennessee or Virginia (the states in which we were raised). We currently reside in extreme south Texas, where you can almost find a Church building on every street corner. However, we hope to shine as a light of Christ in a very dark place.

If anyone has any "pointers" regarding where we can find a nice, inexpensive hotel for next week, a good local Church body, employment ideas or rental property options -- please let us know!

Thank you for your prayers or advice!

:-)

2008/7/17 18:01Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Prayer request: Relocating to California...

I will be praying.

2008/7/17 18:43Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Dios te bendiga. Yo rezo que el Señor le conduce.

2008/7/17 23:09Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Thank you for your prayers! We hope to be in California by Sunday, for interviews between Monday and Wednesday (and possibly, Thursday and Friday).

Please pray for us!

2008/7/18 10:44Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
As you can imagine, this can be quite stressing. We know that the Lord is with us always,

The Lord was always with Lot too...

South Texas sounds alot like where Abraham chose to stay...

Just some advice...I lived in California for 27 years

In Christ
Jeff

2008/7/18 12:47Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Jeff...

Quote:

rookie wrote:

The Lord was always with Lot too...

South Texas sounds alot like where Abraham chose to stay...

Just some advice...I lived in California for 27 years

I understand what you're saying. My wife loves living in Texas. I have to admit, it has been refreshing living in a state with great roads (very wide with shoulders as big as a lane), wide open spaces, friendly attitudes and very conservative social and economic views.

In Texas, most people don't think anything of it if you believe in the Creation as told by the Bible rather than the theory of evolution. Homosexuality still isn't viewed as "normal" behavior. Churches (large and small) are everywhere -- and many are filled on Sunday mornings. The Bible can even taught in some public schools as an elective. I usually hear prayers at official school events. My own college graduation ceremonies began with prayer -- voiced "in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord." Texas has no state income tax or grocery tax. Some have tried to "change" that, but it can only change through an Amendment to the Texas Constitution. Even corporal punishment is still legal in Texas -- with parental consent (of course, this never really happens). Property is inexpensive and the cost of living is low. We are paying $3.75 a gallon for gas -- which we thought was high until we heard about the price in other states.

It took a while to appreciate the wide open spaces. There are places throughout the state in which you can drive for over an hour at 70 MPH and still not pass a town, exit, gas station or stop light. Every time we drive to visit my wife's parents, we travel along Hwy 77. We drive where there aren't any cell phone signals and radio stations are scarce. There aren't any houses, businesses or signs of civilization for as far as the eye can see. I used to wonder why certain famous individuals like to go hunting down here. Former President Bush, Dick Cheney, James Bakker, and several other government leaders have frequented the "brush country" that is populated with more Mesquite trees and cactus patches than anything else. But I suppose that it is refreshing getting away from it all.

However, even with all of the virtues of this area -- Texas is still not the "promised land." Like a nice climate or geographic loveliness, a population can grow cold toward things just by being in the middle of it all. There are plenty of sinners in this great state. Most of them have no idea that they are headed for an Eternity without God. Some are perfectly content with their own religious traditions...and seldom concentrate upon a personal relationship with God.

My wife worries about the things that we will face in California. But I have assured her that "[i]where sin doth abound, the grace of God doth much more abound[/i]." We aren't looking to live in California for long. In fact, we may only remain there for a short time. We will likely return to Texas (or perhaps elsewhere) in just a few years. However, we are content that the Lord will be with us no matter where we go. We aren't looking to build a home in California, but we will see wherever we live as if it were a "tent" -- because we are also "looking for a city whose builder and maker is God" (Hebrews 11).

Please pray that the Lord guides each of our steps. This time can be an unsettling time of uncertainty. It is difficult for me because I desire to be a good steward for my wife. I am praying that the Lord provides and leads me to the job opportunity that He wishes for us. My hunger for the Lord is literal desperation...and I know that the Lord can encourage and strengthen me in California just as He can in Texas.

Thank you so much for your prayers. The Lord did provide a little extra funding for some of the things we will need for the trip. Please continue to pray that we will find favor in the eyes of the employers for which the Lord leads us, and that we might find "bargains" in regard to hotels and gas prices as we drive.

2008/7/18 20:19Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Please keep us in your prayers. We will leave extreme south Texas bright and early tomorrow morning. We hope to arrive in Tucsan tomorrow night. We then want to arrive to the San Francisco Bay area by Monday evening.

Please pray that we arrive safely, and that we can find some inexpensive lodging. Our interviews will be this week.

2008/7/19 22:00Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...

We made it safely to the Bay Area in California (...and its a bit chilly up here)! Please continue to pray for us. My wife (Mireya) has at least two interviews tomorrow. I have at least two interviews on Wednesday. We might have a few more on Thursday.

These are good opportunities; however, we desire for the Lord to guide us.

Thanks!

2008/7/22 1:20Profile

Re:

Welcome to the mission field!

I was stationed at 29 Palms once. You must really be called of God to live in California!

Krispy

2008/7/22 8:54
John_1_14

Re:

You talk too much, be cautious that you don’t put your foot in your mouth. I see you already have, how’s that toe?

I often wondered how this was done.

You’re doing fine all by yourself.

I’m praying for you and your wife (Mireya). Every good and perfect gift comes from heaven above. God blesses the people who patiently endure testing. Afterwards they will receive the crown of life that God, has promised to those who love him. And remember, no one who wants to do wrong should ever say, “God is tempting me”. God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else either. Temptation comes from the lure of our own evil desires. These evil desires lead to evil actions, and evil actions lead to death. Do don’t be mislead! James (1)

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, have you had your apple, Today? I read my bible today, please take time during your long trips and interviews to read your bible…

2008/7/22 12:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy