SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Mortification of Sin...John Owen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
reformer

The Mortification of Sin...John Owen

I have been reading this book off and on, it has been an encouragement to me. Has anyone read this book? If so, would you like to share?

Chapter 8, very perplexing thought: [b][color=000033][i]"You cannot mortify a specific lust that is troubling you, unless you are seeking to obey the Lord from the heart in all areas!"[/i][/color][/b]

This statement reminding me of what Oswald Chambers said:

[color=0000FF]"We do not grow into a spiritual relationship step by step— we either have a relationship or we do not. God does not continue to cleanse us more and more from sin— "But if we walk in the light," we are cleansed "from all sin" ( 1 John 1:7 ). It is a matter of obedience, and once we obey, the relationship is instantly perfected. But if we turn away from obedience for even one second, darkness and death are immediately at work again.

All of God’s revealed truths are sealed until they are opened to us through obedience. You will never open them through philosophy or thinking. But once you obey, a flash of light comes immediately. Let God’s truth work into you by immersing yourself in it, not by worrying into it. The only way you can get to know the truth of God is to stop trying to find out and by being born again. If you obey God in the first thing He shows you, then He instantly opens up the next truth to you. You could read volumes on the work of the Holy Spirit, when five minutes of total, uncompromising obedience would make things as clear as sunlight. Don’t say, "I suppose I will understand these things someday!" You can understand them now. And it is not study that brings understanding to you, but obedience. Even the smallest bit of obedience opens heaven, and the deepest truths of God immediately become yours. Yet God will never reveal more truth about Himself to you, until you have obeyed what you know already. Beware of becoming one of the "wise and prudent." "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know . . ." (John 7:17 )." October 10th[/color]

Its easy to focus on one area and neglect so many, thinking that if I can conquer this, then all will be well. But the overall picture is obedience in all things. Self control maybe? One thing we all face is the onslaught of lust in our lives, can I be so bent on one area that I forget the pride, the anger, the bitterness I have in my heart? May we all strive to be obedient in all areas, not just the specific one.

Blessings and grace
:-)

2008/7/15 21:37Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re: The Mortification of Sin...John Owen

Most excellent post...

Quote:
But the overall picture is obedience in all things.

Yes, is it even a surrendered will...all to Jesus I surrender? My, my, i have need of reminding. Is it not 'by grace you are saved through faith'...faith secures this blessing, knowledge, gift of Jesus Christ our righteousness...and in Christ is all things!

2008/7/15 22:39Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Thanks for posting this brother. I needed it.

2008/7/15 22:49Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

This is a powerhouse of a book, one of my favorites. I've provided a link for a thread I began over a year ago on the topic of mortification that uses Rev. Owen's most excellent treatise as a springboard. If you take the time to comb through it, you're guaranteed to find some amazing riches, with lots of excerpts and musings and commenteries from the book itself. Here it is:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12137&forum=34&55]Understanding Mortification[/url]

Brother Paul

2008/7/15 22:50Profile
reformer

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
This is a powerhouse of a book, one of my favorites. I've provided a link for a thread I began over a year ago on the topic of mortification that uses Rev. Owen's most excellent treatise as a springboard. If you take the time to comb through it, you're guaranteed to find some amazing riches, with lots of excerpts and musings and commenteries from the book itself. Here it is:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12137&forum=34&55]Understanding Mortification[/url]

Brother Paul

Thanks for that...will check it out.

2008/7/16 8:55Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

This is wonderful. I have been thinking about buying this teaching by John Owen on the mortificaton of sin. This small amount of truth that you have posted is just powerful and insightful. I am reading a book right now by Ralph Venning originally called Sin: the Plague of all Plagues now called the sinfulness of sin and it is filled with revelation.

2008/7/16 9:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy