SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Who may teach in the church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
You quoted Ephesians and what is called the "5 fold ministry" teachings. I could not agree more. But again, how does this apply to rituals of men (which they hold dear) in the modern day church setting?

I believe that Jesus answers this question when he stated that you can’t put new wine into old wine skins. It just won’t work. Interestingly the Bible doesn’t offer a plan B for all those churches that do not operate by the Spirit. So where does that leave us?

It is therefore likely fruitless to discuss “who is allowed to teach”. Not only that, none of us here are in a position to call the shots – even in our own assemblies.

However, we can follow Jesus’ example: Regardless of what people are doing in the church, we see them as precious souls to whom we just may be called to minister in some way or other. Another point: God may be using “unqualified” people to build our faith: I cannot tell you how often bad sermons have thrust me into the word – to check it out for myself. I’ve learned so much that way!

As iron sharpens iron… Can we submit to the refining hand of God through his blessed “Grace Builders”? Maybe that is the ultimate point of this topic.

EDIT: It occurred to me that I am being overly negative here. Really, there are many whom God has used in my life over the years who have faithfully served him - yes, even in a less-than-ideal environment. God seems to be amazingly resourceful in how he builds his Church in the midst of human failings.

Diane

2008/7/15 12:18Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Miccah, and everyone else, I'm planning to go to Wisconsin tomorrow and will be gone for a few weeks. I may not respond during that time, due to lack of access, but hope to reply whenever I return.

As a last note, I agree with you (Miccah), in stating that rows and the "traditional" form are not the only way. In fact, at my church the first service is a study with questions and answers throughout. The second service is a time of singing, prayer, and a sermon. The Lord's table follows. We spend the afternoon at someone's house for a big lunch, and talk for the most part about the Lord and what we learned. Finally, we have an evening service that is more exhortative and correctional in emphasis. People are expected to go to all of the services, so there's a time for discussion/dialectic teaching, music and prayer, and a more thorough sermon for teaching in depth. We sit in rows because the building we rent has pews, but I don't think we care too much about that.

The one thing that stands out is that only the appointed people hold the floor for times of in-depth teaching.

2008/7/15 16:35Profile

Re:

Who can teach in the church? Simple... those whom the Holy Spirit has gifted to teach.

Now that we have that cleared up...!

Krispy

2008/7/15 17:07

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy