SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Men's Ministry Upstart

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Yes. Don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff in there. But too much of what he says is built on sand of this world and not the rock of God's word.

2008/7/14 20:55Profile

Re:

Here's some encouragement for you. It seems this is on the hearts of alot of men, so your not alone in this. I found the McDonald's church websight while on Stacy McDonald's blog looking at the tea party pics.:)

[url=http://www.providencepeoria.org/ministriestab/sons-of-issachar/]Providence Church: Sons of Issachar, Men's Ministry[/url]

2008/7/15 12:36

Re:

Quote:
Yes. Don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff in there. But too much of what he says is built on sand of this world and not the rock of God's word.

I really dont know much about this guy... and I know he is wildly popular (red flag, in my opinion!) and many men's groups are using his material...

KJ... educate me (us)... whats your take on John Eldrige?

Krispy

2008/7/15 13:10
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

In essence, Eldridge attempts to blend worldly psychological methods with Christian theology. And like so many others, when the gospel doesn't seem quite good enough, the psyco-babel gets rev'd up a notch. For example, when Jesus said to turn the other cheek, he doesn't advise our sons to do so less we emasculate them. He says if you are a kid and get hit on the playground by another kid, you should hit him back! Afterall, Jesus doesn't want you to be a sissy! Instead he wants you to be a mountain climbing, rough necking, touch down throwing MVP! He wants you to be a manly man!

Don't get me wrong, Eldridge has some very good things to say. But, like I said, he's building his house mostly on a house of sand. I doubt his books are making men out of men. His "Wild at Heart" is worth the gander though.

2008/7/15 13:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
Instead he wants you to be a mountain climbing, rough necking, touch down throwing MVP!

... sounds like my kinda guy!

Seriously tho, I'm searching the web and finding a lot of blogs (mainly from Calvinists) who find a lot of theological issues with him.

Is the main issue maybe that his writings are trite?

To me... men's ministry should be about scripture. Teaching scripture... applying scripture. I dont like "self-esteem" pop-psychology stuff.

Is that what this is mainly? Fluff?

Krispy

2008/7/15 13:45
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

... sounds like my kinda guy!

Yeah, it's kinda exciting and all. But simply being a "manly man" isn't the Biblical definition of a man.

Is that what this is mainly? Fluff?

I wouldn't say mainly, but he does have a lot of it.

2008/7/15 14:45Profile

Re:

Think I'll stick with Spurgeon & Ravenhill.

Krispy

2008/7/15 17:08
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
To me... men's ministry should be about scripture. Teaching scripture... applying scripture.

Amen Krispy.

KingJimmy, please keep us posted on how you end up tackling this situation.

2008/7/15 18:58Profile

Re: Man 2 Man Express

I couldn't think of where to post this so rather than starting a new thread I thought I would post it here. :-) It's a daily radio broadcast for men but it also speaks to women. It's really good so far from what I have listened to and has helped me alot as a wife.

http://www.man2manexpress.com/html/radio_archive.html

Also go here:
http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Man_2_Man_Express/

2008/7/16 17:47

Re:

[url=http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Man_2_Man_Express/]This broadcast[/url] is really good especially for women but the others after reviewing them are not so good. They mentioned something about protecting your integrity ect.. but what about denying yourself? :-( Oh, well...Nevermind...:-) There seems to definately be a need for more men's ministries that are more Christ centered.

2008/7/16 18:45

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy