Discussion Forum : General Topics : Men's Ministry Upstart

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Men's Ministry Upstart

Hi,

Me and a couple men at my church have been charged with starting up a men's ministry. My pastor would like it to center primarily around spiritual growth, though of course, not to exclude fellowship events and a helps ministry. I've never started such a thing before, and would welcome any advice/suggestions/resources anybody might have in regard to starting/overseeing a men's ministry.

2008/7/14 15:46Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Men's Ministry Upstart

There is not such thing as men's ministry in the bible. But with that said the solution is discipleship the older discipline the younger.

You are obviously free to air any video materials from sermonindex to the men, I have heard of this as ways to sober and bring about a seeking after God.

Here is a good book by Zac Poonen called: Practical Discipleship
http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/book_window.php?book=practical_discipleship

2008/7/14 15:52Profile

If you can figure out how to get men involved in men's ministry... let the rest of us know how you pulled it off...

Krispy

2008/7/14 16:16
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

There is not such thing as men's ministry in the bible. But with that said the solution is discipleship the older discipline the younger.

Agreed, they didn't have a formal "men's ministry" per say. However, I think Titus 2:1-10 provides a general principle off which to base the idea of separate men and women's ministries, where each gender's elders minister to the younger. And age here, since we are to know no man after the flesh, doesn't necessarily mean 60 year old men teaching 15 year olds. He's of course, talking about those who are older spiritually teaching those younger in the faith. Hopefully, your older men will also be older in the Lord. But, alas, that's not always the case.

2008/7/14 17:41Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

If you can figure out how to get men involved in men's ministry... let the rest of us know how you pulled it off...

LOL, no kidding. My pastor has banged his head against the wall for almost 8 years attempting to get a men's ministry off the ground himself, only to be really unable to do so. So, he's hoping to have a small group be able to pull such off.

2008/7/14 17:42Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

To be fair, if we're looking for biblical evidence of a 'men's ministry' we can easily find it.

The temple of God was divided into the gentiles court, the women's court... um... I guess everything that was left was for men only. Men worshipped together in the old testament, men fought together in battle, there was a lot of manly bonding going on all over the place. When Jesus calmed the storm it doesn't say anything about any women being on the boat screaming their heads off. Gideon's Three Hundred, David's Mighty Men, Jesus' Apostles.

Just because the name 'men's ministry' isn't in the bible doesn't mean that there was no opportunity for men to fellowship and grow closer to the Lord together.

2008/7/14 19:42Profile

In a different era, about 25 years ago, I was a leader in a "men's" ministry. It was established upon the idea that the Church must be led by committed men first.

We centered around a Saturday prayer meeting. We avoided small talk, and hit the knees, for intercession . We could not pray for our needs, but for the lost and needy, whoever.
There were five of us in the beginning. Only after praying, did we fellowship, and eat; spending the morning together.

We also met once in the week, and of course on Sundays. We prayed a lot, and inwardly committed ourselves to see God move and minister to the helpless.

Eventually, revival came, right out of that small meeting, and a church of 250 arose, and was blessed of God. Our spirit kind of seeped into all, and many, many drunkards, addicts, and general red neck heathens were saved.

Kingdom building and agendas will kill God's purposes. If you are meeting to enhance the church numbers, are to be known as a more spiritual church, I would quit now, before you are disappointed later. If you are meeting to be more spiritually prosperous among yourselves, only, ditto. As men, you must capture His heart, and spur one another along the Path of absolute surrender.

This is the only men's group acceptable in the Eyes of the Lord Jesus. Beware of man's controls, or any motives such as the enhancement of your selves, to have a more comfortable life, with more friends to enjoy life with. [camping trips, golfing and sports trips, game night, family night and of course food! and more food!] This is often what these groups degenerate into. What I am saying is; Do not let it become a club. If you do, base it on the Moravian one....[and contest who it will be who is privileged with first martyrdom.]

Make it a all for Jesus discipling meeting with Jesus as your sole Lord. You won't regret it.

2008/7/14 19:45
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Amen BrotherTom. Indeed, my pastor says he doesn't want this thing to become a club caught up in activities. While he's not against men doing things together e.g. camping, he wants our primary focus to be spiritual growth. Such has to be fought against deeply. We simply do not have very many men who are spiritual in our church. Many precious and saintly women, but, not many men who are men.

Gotta love those Morravians!

2008/7/14 19:54Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

By the way, I'm totally against building a men's ministry around silly books like John Eldridge writes.

2008/7/14 19:56Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re:

silly? have you read them?

2008/7/14 20:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy