Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Genesis 5

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Genesis 5

Hi folks,

I was wondering if you could possibly shed some light on a question I have. It may be that I am overlooking something very obivious here and if I am please forgive me, but the answer to this has so far eluded me.

In scripture as we all know, numbers often have a great significance. In particular the number seven is a known as a number of perfection. In Genesis 5:31 we are told that Lamech lived for 777 years. Why is this? Why did God choose for Lamech to live for this exact number of years?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2008/7/14 6:21Profile
reformer

Re: Genesis 5

Quote:

Limey153 wrote:
Hi folks,

I was wondering if you could possibly shed some light on a question I have. It may be that I am overlooking something very obivious here and if I am please forgive me, but the answer to this has so far eluded me.

In scripture as we all know, numbers often have a great significance. In particular the number seven is a known as a number of perfection. In Genesis 5:31 we are told that Lamech lived for 777 years. Why is this? Why did God choose for Lamech to live for this exact number of years?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don't know...but proves the point that God is Sovereign. And each one of us has an appointed time. I think you answered your question, God [b]Choose[/b]. There are somethings we won't know until the other side.

[i]"What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted."[/i] Eccl. 1:15

Somethings we just won't understand, somethings we are not meant to understand.

Good question however...I always like deep questions that require more study. There is nothing wrong with that!! However, there are many on SI, that are far more knowledgeable than I. Hopefully they will share. But if not no worries.

Blessings to you
Reformer

2008/7/14 7:32Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: Genesis 5

Hey Limey,

Not sure if the 777 years is significant in chapter 5 or not. But some things do stand out. The purpose of the chapter is to lead to the birth of Noah. Lamech from Seth's line is a contrast to the Lamech of Cain's. As Enoch prophesied in the naming of Methuselah so Lamech prophecies in the naming of Noah (rest).

Some things to notice: Cain's family line is completely left out here (he's been disowned), The repeated phrase "and he died" is paramount for the curse goes on even in the line that contains the promise of God in Gen. ch. 3. God meant what He said when He told Adam "You shall surely die." Finally and most important is the promise its self. In the face of the curse of sin is the promise of God that a deliverer would be born of men. Each named child following the descent of Seth is a guarantee from God that He will keep His promise. Even in death then there is hope.

Chapter 5 leads into the ongoing saga between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. God destroys the world because of its attempts to destroy the seed. By the time Noah enters the ark there are only eight left on the earth who could be called believers.

Not really too sure about the significance of the 777yrs, but I hope this helps a little.

Blessings,
Jeremy Hulsey

2008/7/14 8:10Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Not to add to the mystery, but in the Godly line of Christ from God the Father of Adam to Jesus Christ who's Father is God the Father also, Jesus being the 77th generation.

Wow, now what?

7, is delineated as the perfect Number of God in His dealing with man whose number is 666.

God has dealt with Lamech, as a man 666, God dealt with him 777???????????, and he is in the Godly line of God to Christ?

Mind blowing #'s and questions for those in Christ.

Praise God He won't give us a stone if we ask for bread.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.
Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Let us ask and see what the answer is; For Who is in us and who are we in? ev,en, in in in in.
ev, en en
a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state),

1 John 2:24-29 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

In Christ: Phillip

2008/7/14 18:59Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Re:

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. You know I honestly just can't help chuckling to myself here at how astoundingly awesome his ways are. His ways are just so far above ours!
Isn't funny how so often when we try to understand the Lord that we simply finish up only realising how impossible it is to understand him. And people say that the bible was invented by men!!! Mankind can scarsely understand this book, let alone write it.

God be praised! He is excellent! :-) :-)

2008/7/15 4:11Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Limey said, 'Mankind can scarsely understand this book, let alone write it'

How true. People overlook that.

Good point.

2008/7/15 4:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy