SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is God all knowing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
stromboli

Re:

Quote:

rbanks wrote:
Quote:

stromboli wrote:
If God is all knowing why did he ask Adam where he was? Was it just a question he asked already knowing the answer? Why did God have to come down from heaven and visit Sodom to see if the crys he heard were true? These are just a few questions that i think are interesting to think about. Did'nt God turn over this world to Satan? If not why did Satan offer them to Jesus?

Have you never heard of a parent asking a child a question already knowing the answer but wanting the child to answer truthfully?

God deals with man to where he is at, and relates to man accordingly.

We always get into trouble when we try to bring God down to our understanding, His ways are much higher than ours and His thoughts are not our thoughts.

I understand. That sounds good but that doesnt answer the question. I dont believe its that simple. Everythimg is there for a reason. Could it be God was trying to tell us something about himself?

2008/7/15 22:51Profile
roadsign

Re: God's forknowledge - how much does he have?

Quote:
If God is all knowing why did he ask Adam where he was? Was it just a question he asked already knowing the answer?

And yet, if God didn’t know where Adam was, how would he have known where to go to ask the question to Adam? Why might God have asked him that question?

Quote:
Have you never heard of a parent asking a child a question already knowing the answer but wanting the child to answer truthfully?

Also, teachers ask questions to get students to think. Therapists ask questions to get their clients to become aware of their motives (which is likely obvious to the therapists but not the client).

Just maybe God asked Adam the question in order to get Adam to own up to his own actions – and become aware that he was indeed trying to hide from God because he had done wrong. Confession is an important step towards repentance, is it not? This reminds me of God’s question to Cain before murdering Abel: “Why are you angry?”. God already knew why, but Cain needed to own up to his sinful thinking (confess) in order to repent - which he didn’t, and we know the outcome!

Quote:
Why did God have to come down from heaven and visit Sodom to see if the crys he heard were true?

And yet, he did not need to in the case of Nineveh. Was he smarter by that time?

Quote:
These are just a few questions that i think are interesting to think about.

I agree! And certainly, those who believe in God’s limited foreknowledge are no dummies. They have been thinking. To dismiss them by saying, “We just can’t know God’s ways, they are beyond us” could be an easy copout.

Quote:
Did'nt God turn over this world to Satan? If not why did Satan offer them to Jesus?

Since Satan is a liar why do we need to assume that the world was his to give! Surely we do not wish to formulate any theology from HIS words! However, that is just the reference that Boyd uses in his Christus Victor motif– that Christ’s victory is all about defeating Satan’s rule over the cosmos - including the physical earth. Boyd presents this battle as dualistic - where Christ and Satan are equal rivals in an ongoing battle.

I believe that Boyd has elevated Satan and lowered God in order to support his dualism. This has huge ramifications theologically speaking. Sin and Christ's solution is put on the back burner (at least, that’s what I am sensing from reading his material).

The question needs to be asked: How then can anyone know, even God, what the final outcome will be? Why - just maybe Satan will win in the end?

Does that sound like Biblical thinking?

Diane

2008/7/16 7:57Profile
rbanks

Re:

God did not turn the world over to Satan, he turned it over to man. He gave man the dominion, but man listened to Satan and disobeyed God and subjected himself to Satan and lost the dominion of this world to Satan.

The second man from Heaven regained what the first man (adam) lost. He has regained dominion over the earth also for all those who are in Christ.

It is obvious that people with all their theories don't understand God's sovereignty nor the free will he has given to his creation.

Sovereignty says God rules over all in the way He wants to.

Free will is saying creation has the choice of subjecting themselves to His Lordship.

All creation should fear the Most High God!!!

2008/7/16 10:02Profile
stromboli

Re:

If Boyd is the originator of this type thinking than why are so many asking these questions having never read Boyd? I think these are questions that people have been asking for hundreds of years but its all been explained away by dead theology. Maybe this guy is one of the first to really bring this type thinking to the forefront but hes certainly not the first. Its just weird how that anytime people start thinking for themselves instead of someone else thinking for them the theologians slap a label on it and frame it up in a nice little box.

2008/7/16 10:20Profile
stromboli

Re:

Quote:

rbanks wrote:
God did not turn the world over to Satan, he turned it over to man. He gave man the dominion, but man listened to Satan and disobeyed God and subjected himself to Satan and lost the dominion of this world to Satan.

The second man from Heaven regained what the first man (adam) lost. He has regained dominion over the earth also for all those who are in Christ.

It is obvious that people with all their theories don't understand God's sovereignty nor the free will he has given to his creation.

Sovereignty says God rules over all in the way He wants to.

Free will is saying creation has the choice of subjecting themselves to His Lordship.

All creation should fear the Most High God!!!

Where does it say we should fear the most high?

2008/7/16 17:03Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

stromboli wrote:
Quote:

Where does it say we should fear the most high?

Here is just a few scriptures for the Lord God is the Most High.

Leviticus 25:17 Ye shall not therefore oppress one another; but thou shalt fear thy God: for I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 6:2 That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.

Deuteronomy 6:24 And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day.

Deuteronomy 8:6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.

Deuteronomy 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

Deuteronomy 13:4 Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

Deuteronomy 28:58 If thou wilt not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that thou mayest fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD THY GOD;

Deuteronomy 31:13 And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the LORD your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it.

Joshua 4:24 That all the people of the earth might know the hand of the LORD, that it is mighty: that ye might fear the LORD your God for ever.

1 Samuel 12:14 If ye will fear the LORD, and serve him, and obey his voice, and not rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall both ye and also the king that reigneth over you continue following the LORD your God:

2 Kings 17:39 But the LORD your God ye shall fear; and he shall deliver you out of the hand of all your enemies.

Acts 13:16 Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Ephesians 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Revelation 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Revelation 19:5 And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great.

2008/7/16 17:21Profile
stromboli

Re:

You forgot the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. So what is it that God fears? I'll let you find it. Read Deuteronomy chapter 32. Then we should fear what God fears?

2008/7/16 22:38Profile
stromboli

Re:

Also for a more unbiased look at this theology you can simply look under wikepedia and search for open theism. Looks pretty good.

2008/7/16 23:15Profile
rbanks

Re:

The only thing God fears, is for His Name sake, for His Honor, for His reputation when he is having to deal with man and his free will. Therefore He makes no mistakes.

The fact that God is all knowing and sovereign in his dealings with mans free will is that he knows how to act according to His names sake.

God does not communicate with man on the God level because man is a human and is living out his free will during his time on earth.

There is much to be understood about the greatness of God that our finite minds are incapable of grasping.

But you can choose to believe what you want to, and it will not change God at all, because your puny mind (compared to God’s mind) want reduce God down at all.

You can make God small and not all-knowing if you want to, because that will be your choosing and your dilemma to the peril of your own soul if you insist.

Choose whatever God you want to serve to the peril of your own soul, but as for me I will serve the Lord God almighty. The all-knowing, all-present, and all-powerful God and there is no other God.

Goodnight my friend for I am gone to bed, you can communicate with somebody else who has trouble with God being all-knowing because I don’t.

2008/7/16 23:48Profile
stromboli

Re:

Wow! I guess Christ has a puny mind. "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus" "Thought it not robbery to be equal with God". Wow! does that mean I'm equal with God? That sounds kind of blasphemous. Also were "seated together with him in heavenly places" Not bad for a puny human being. I'm seated in heavenly places with God?

2008/7/16 23:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy