SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is your opinion of this?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
IsaiahSix3

What is your opinion of this?

I'd like to get everyone's take on something that I'm not sure how to feel about...

There's a local church where I live which is a "fundamental, independent, KJV-only Baptist" congregation and they know how to keep our town paying attention to them. They regularly stand at Walmart with signs opposing abortion, homosexuality and things like "repent" with various scripture verses.

I don't really have a problem with most of what they do but their attitude seems to be pretty arrogant and prideful. Lately their signs have been getting very HARSH in tone. They have been known to scream out vulgar terms for homosexuals and put words like that on their signs as well.

At our 4th of July parade with children everywhere they had a HUGE sign saying, "3 gay rights: Death, Aids and Hell" with a verse for each one. Another sign that day had a horribly mutilated dead body on it which was supposedly a person killed by a drunk driver and the sign read: "Liquor kills" or something like that.

I have emailed this pastor and told him I didn't appreciate the references to homosexuality or the violent image being displayed in front of my kids and thousands of other kids during a happy time (a parade.) My kids don't even KNOW what the word "GAY" means. We don't even have TV in our home at all. We have successfully sheltered them from this garbage all these years - and then to have them find out about "gay" people from a local church kinda makes me mad! :-(

Anyway, sometimes I see their point... they are trying to get people to realize God is angry with sin and that there are consequences to sin... but I'm not sure I like the method. Honestly, I just don't know how to feel about it.

Like I said, I emailed him and his only response to me was basically that I should "Judge not" and he won't answer any of my (Biblical) objections to his overall attitude.

So, I'm looking for some insight to this... do y'all have any opinion of this sort of thing?

Thanks!
Isaiah

2008/7/12 11:40Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: What is your opinion of this?

[u][b]Matthew 5:43-45 (NKJV)[/b][/u]

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

2008/7/12 12:03Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

My opinion is this is why some are shamed to say
they are Christians. This is not the way to
minister the gospel message. They are so caught
up in anger with sin and the righteous judgment
of God; that they are blind to His compassion
and mercy!! Modern day scribes and Pharisees!!

2008/7/12 13:52Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
Like I said, I emailed him and his only response to me was basically that I should "Judge not" and he won't answer any of my (Biblical) objections to his overall attitude.

Had to laugh that uncomfortable laugh at that, "Judge not". It's pride plain and simple. I think there is something 'new' after all that needs to be taught from the scriptures ...

Common sense.

2008/7/12 19:37Profile

Hate sin, yet not the sinner. Love the sinner, and by grace empty ourselves of the mercies shown us.

Self rigteousness has it's roots in being right., or comparing your right to another below your standard. It is the epitome of the Judge not phrase. Jesus used many anologies about this as He uncovered the Pharisees about this hypocrisy. He said that those who practice this corrupt form of religion have their father the Devil to thank for it, and of course his reward.

He also said, "Leave them alone...they are the blind leading he blind...!" God must confront them, if they are to be saved. They will despise you for correcting them. "Rebuke a fool and he will hate you."[I am not condemning them, for each individual may be different.]

I would ignore them, and yet try to be merciful to them when you meet them. I would teach my children that God and Christians are loving, who love sinners. I would determine to have a pleasing heart to God in these matters, and to live it in secret, not in front of others.

In a way these Christians are sick, and I also may pray that God would heal such a cold heart....Tom

2008/7/12 21:20

Re:

I've never understood how people can possibly think that offensive signs like "3 Gay Rights" and others would turn someone toward Jesus.

As far as I have been able to find, there is not one situation in scripture where Jesus was conversing with unbelievers that He did not treat them with love and respect and pity.

The only people He took a "hostile" stand against was who? The religious people! Isnt that odd?

And thats what these folks are if they are going out into public like this. "Religious".

One thing you could do is write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and say that as a born again Christian you just want to make sure people understand that not every Christian agrees with the methods of this particular church. Evangelism and sharing the gospel publicly? Yes! Of course... but in a confrontational and controversial way? No!

And please dont you yourself judge all KJV Independent Fundamental Baptists by these people. I know several churches like that here in this area that have a real heart for ministry and evangelism that is not at all like these folks near you.

Krispy

2008/7/14 10:56

Amen to all the posts here. I heard it once said that if you want to get a bunch of Christians together have a 'Gay Pride Parade'. People draw conclusions by such things...rightly or wrongly.

But if you said 'hey I'm having an all night intercessory prayer vigil for repentence and grace for homosexuals' or 'for those who clinically practice abortion or have had an abortion' I wonder how many would show up?

Showing up anywhere and holding up a sign in the midst of a likeminded crowd is probably the easiest thing to do to 'send a message'. But when the event is over, what are you doing 'in secret' as the Bible teaches?

But Krispy brings up a good point about judgment and I could be somewhat guilty of that by myself with my cynicism here.

2008/7/14 15:05

Re:

Quote:
But if you said 'hey I'm having an all night intercessory prayer vigil for repentence and grace for homosexuals' or 'for those who clinically practice abortion or have had an abortion' I wonder how many would show up?

You'd be hard pressed to get 3 people...

(How's that for cynical?)

Krispy

2008/7/14 15:46

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy