SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Deception, Delusion, Deliverance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Deception, Delusion, Deliverance

(Mods: if you deem this inappropriate for any reason, delete it.)

Recently I became aware of a set of books written by Patricia Hochstetler detailing her family's journey in the cult, beginning in the early 50's.

I have now read these books and am saddened how one man can so easily lead people astray, how gullible people are to anyone who appears to more spiritual then they. In this case the teacher was skilled in quoting scripture, he had it memorized well, thus drawing many to himself.

As I read this forum and the controversy concerning Bentley one can easily see the forces the enemy is using to again draw people away from God. In Bentley he is using the miraculous, in Patricia's case it was knowledge, but the end results will be the same.

Today Patricia's parents are away from God, have no interest in 'religion' and no wonder. This happens a lot when people have been ensnared by deception.

I would encourage any and all to read these books. While the setting will be vastly different from present day situations, the basic principles are the same. The worst criticisms I have heard concerning this narrative is the writing - it could have used a better editor. But if you can look beyond it and understand the heart of the writer, one will be sure to be challenged. And saddened. And angry at the gullibleness of people: how on earth could one submit to anything so stupid?!

(When one backs off a tad bit and looks at the entire world of deception, one can see how the Enemy will tailor make 'deception' to fit any culture so it will appeal to the people therein. One may read these books and think "I would never fall for anything like that!" Perhaps. But be careful - he knows your weakness and how he can work with it to his advantage.)

The books are titled "Deception", "Delusion", and "Deliverance".

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/7/7 7:57Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Deception, Delusion, Deliverance

Just so that I'm clear, they are 3 different books aren't they?

Thanks.

2008/7/7 8:21Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Deception, Delusion, Deliverance

Quote:
...the Enemy will tailor make 'deception' to fit any culture so it will appeal to the people therein.

Much to think about. Thanks for posting this.

2008/7/7 9:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

enid,
Yes, there are three books. I listed them in the wrong order. Number 1 is "Delusion"; #2: "Deception"; #3 "Deliverance".

Here is a link to her website: http://www.amishjewishcult.com/

More about these books. Book #2 is so depressing, I never finished reading it. "Delusion" will give you the story with the errors, but "Deception" gives more details. "Deliverance" has a different tone, one of victory but to get there was hard, so very hard.

The abiding question remains: How can people be so gullible? And all I know is that the people had a need and they looked to humans to fill that, hence my observation that the enemy will tailor make any deception to fill that one. And that IS scary! Which is what I think is happening with Bentley: people have a need and they are looking to people to fill it! At best people can only assist us in our walk with the LORD. But people are not God! We should never substitute another human being for God and his authority. And this is what happened in Patricia's story. So tragic.

ginnyrose

2008/7/7 19:49Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy