SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Todd Bentley's TX Visit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lawevangelis

Justin, TX

Re:

Fireinmybones1,

You say, "The example of Jesus' dununciation of the pharisee's and sudducee's does not apply in this situation. The reason being that the tactics of the critics bare a closer resemblence to the pharisees than the critiqued."

You're going to have to explain this one.

In my report of what happened in Denton, I proved that Bentley is a false teacher. The evidence is conclusive. HE is the Pharisee, the false teacher. When Jesus called them out for their false doctrine and Scripture twisting, He used very direct terminology and it was not flattering.

The best proof of this is the cold, hard FACT that he did not even attempt to preach the Gospel at the event in Denton. Buttressing this is the fact that he spoke for more than an hour about himself. The proverbial icing on the cake is the fact that he took the focus off of Jesus in his hack-job of interpreting John 5 and put all eyes squarely on himself.

Now in the WoF movement there is a tendency to refer to anyone who uses the Bible (correctly) to point out the heresy of the movement as "Pharisaical". In point of fact, Bentley did that very thing in his diatribe on July 3rd; we have him on audio doing it.

So my question to you is, "Do you adhere to the Word of Faith teaching?"

Jon

2008/7/14 9:38Profile
DirkW

Netherlands

Re:

I got a point to make.
I think we all should stop watching at lakeland (youtube/godtv etc.)and being so busy with this thing. We should pray for a real move of God and His Spirit, that Christ may be glorified.

Because when I watch at all those things on youtube it doesn't build my faith. Confusion starts. I believe God can save, heal, restore, set free...and I want to believe Him for that.

That God may show us who He is and stretch out His arm to His people. Amen. Let's pray with boldness to the living God.

2008/7/14 9:57Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re:

I've read numerous times throughout these Lakeland posts that we should stop talking about it. I disagree. That is the point of these forums, so that we can have discussions. For those not interested or tired of reading about these subjects, skip over them. But for people who recently joined in like me just yesterday, this isn't old news, it's new to me.

Also, I think there is a benefit in talking about it because I've prejudged a lot of people and pastors by what others have said with out listening to their teachings or meeting them personally, only to discover that I was wrong and others were wrong. I don't want to do that anymore. Though I value other's opinions, I don't want to judge prematurely. That is why I appreciated this posters review, rather than just an " i heard from a friend who heard from a friend" type entry. And why I plan on going and seeing for myself.

2008/7/14 14:30Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

[u][b]Ezekiel 33:4-6 (NKJV)[/b][/u]

then whoever hears the sound of the trumpet and does not take warning, if the sword comes and takes him away, his blood shall be on his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet, but did not take warning; his blood shall be upon himself. But he who takes warning will save his life. But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman’s hand.’

2008/7/14 14:41Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re:

Quote:
then whoever hears the sound of the trumpet and does not take warning, if the sword comes and takes him away, his blood shall be on his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet, but did not take warning; his blood shall be upon himself. But he who takes warning will save his life. But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman’s hand.’

Exactly! This is why we need to be discussing this. Because there are a lot of people who do not have discernment and are weak in their faith that need to read this stuff.

2008/7/14 14:48Profile

Re:

I agree. If false prophets or teachers can publically deceive, why can't we publically warn? I take my cues from the Gospel. Paul said that if the Gospel being preached or been preached that is different from his, then it is false. This may take some discernment in some instances, in others there is a glaring red flag. Regardless, there will always be a mixture of truth AND lies. Wolves in sheeps clothing don't look like wolves and a counterfeit will always look similar to the real thing. BUT IF THE INTENTION IS ALWAYS TO DECEIVE, THEN WHAT WOULD BE THE PRICE OF SILENCE?

2008/7/14 15:29
DirkW

Netherlands

Re:

I understand that we need to warn etc. Thank God for discernment and truth on this forum.
But what I see in my own life is that this takes a lot attention (picking out the truth from the false etc.) and I want to give that attention and time to God in prayer etc.
Maybe I was speaking a bit to much out of myself. But it just doesn't build up my own personal faith. So I thought why not make a point and maybe some more people think this way.

God bless

2008/7/14 15:53Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Okay, I'm going to be frank, honest and make myself vulnerable here. I understand that the following testimony may in fact discredit me in some of your eyes, but I suppose that is a risk I have to be willing to take. I believe that by reading my past posts you can see that I do indeed strive to be Christ-Like and am not a tatooed, bearded worshipper of Todd Bentley...that being said...

(and this is being written in response to the author of the article in question . . .)

I have been to Lakeland and attended three separate services. I am a pastor in full-time ministry and went to see what was going on for myself. I must say through the 3-4 years which I have been extremely familiar with the teachings of Todd Bentley, I have seen and heard him say things that bothered me. I have been quick to bring correction to any errors I may have heard to those the Lord has entrusted to my care and watch. To be perfectly honest with you, I have had to do the same thing with the teachings of Leonard Ravenhill and David Wilkerson as well. The errors exist on different planes and certainly have different theological hues to them, but are there nonetheless.

Anyways, when I heard of the movement in Lakeland I went to examine for myself. Understand that I DID not go as one who adheres to extreme WOF prosperity teachings. I do not even come close to belonging to the "Rick Warren" Purpose Driven Fan Club of America. I have not had plastic surgery to make smile look like Joel Osteen's, nor have I ever read or been tempted to read his books. What I'm trying to say is, I'm not one who subscribes to flaky, westernized, seeker-friendly, ear tickling, money grubbing, gospel rip-offs. I am one who passionately preaches holiness and make it my aim to lift up the cross in all that I do. (I hope that doesn't sound like I'm glorifying myself...I just don't want to be typecasted as a prosperity loving apostate . . . )

Anyways, I went to Lakeland with a genuine desire for nothing more than Jesus Christ. If God was moving there, I wanted to experience it for myself. I wanted to see the changed lives, I wanted to see the lost saved, etc... I went there out of a heart that has prayed and groaned and literall lost hours of my life in desperate prayer and fasting for revival in America and in my own heart.

I can honestly say to you, that the manifest presence of the Lord was powerfully present in and around the building. I witnessed a young woman (14 years of age) who was sitting next to me, straighten up from scoliosis right next to me. As she forgave her brother, the healing occured instantly. There was no worship of Todd Bentley. It was simply hour after hour of non-hyped, soft and reverent worship of Jesus. The first two nights I attended all I could do was weep as I worshipped Jesus. I saw many salvations and heard incredible testimonies from the team they trained in street evangelism. One in particular was a man whoes son had (3 weeks prior) been killed in Iraq. An elderly gentlemen from the revival found him drunk out of his mind, living on the streets. He had turned to alchohol and been living on the streets, drunk, since he had received the news. This old believer found this man on the streets and won him to Jesus Christ and had been bringing him to the service every night since. I watched the former-alchoholic worshipping Jesus with every fiber of his being.

Did I witness people doing things that were perhaps carnal or fleshly? Most likely. However, that does not negate the real things that I witnessed.

Understand, I did not go to Lakeland saying, "I'm here and I accept and receive ANY AND EVERY SPIRIT THAT IS IN THIS BUILDING! WOO - HOO!" On the contrary, I made a conscious decision to tell the Lord, "If this is not of you, I want nothing to do with it, if it is of you, make yourself real to me. I receive only that which is of Jesus Christ and resist every other spirit." Furthermore, I went hungry for Jesus and not to glorify or worship a man.

According to scripture, Luke 11:11- , if I ask the Father for the Holy Spirit and do so genuinely with pure motives, I will receive no other Spirit. This does not mean that I do not test these spirits. However, I do not have to fear deception if my heart is after Jesus only. That was my attitude . . . and I did indeed experience a supernatural healing in my own body.

I went to Lakeland with a very, very painful and worsening condition of shingles. I mean painful! I am also a younger man and this was a somewhat rare occurence. I was praying in desperation for God to take it away as it was extremely discomforting, especially while on a Florida vacation with my wife and children. On my third night there, while in worship, I felt what felt like a warm liquid passover my leg. From that night on the shingles, the painful, bleeding, chicken pox like rash, began to disappear. By the time I returned to the place I was staying they were noticably different and by the next day VERY noticable.

I returned home, not with a passion for Todd Bentley or angels. I returned home with an extreme passion to preach Jesus Christ with power and deep conviction. The day after my return home I preached at our Juvenile Hall in town. The conviction of the Holy Spirit was more strong than I have ever experienced while preaching in that relatively hard environment. Many of the inmates were weeping under deep conviction. There were close to 25-30 who wanted to give their lives to Jesus Christ. One young man was under such deep conviction and weeping so intensely that the guard held me over so that I could counsel him a little bit. (this is very rare there . . .)

My only point is that the fruit I saw in my own life while there and upon returning was not only good, but some of the best I've ever seen. I have never once been tempted to glorify Todd Bentley, or discard the gospel of Jesus Christ for some pseudo-gospel which promotes angels over Jesus. I have never heard that or anything of the sort preached by Bentley either.

Like I said earlier, I did not and do not agree with everything Bentley has said. Does he perhaps need tempering, sure. Does he need cousel and wisdom, sure.

My dear brother, our experiences varied greatly. I do appreciate and value your opinion as a brother in the Lord and I am open to correction, counsel and rebuke. All I can do is tell you that I experienced it first hand and not via youtube or destroy-all-heretics.com. I went with a hungry heart and experienced a genuine touch from Jesus Christ.

I submit my experiences to you all for your judgments...I just felt the need to be honest and tell you my experience.

God bless,

Jeff

2008/7/15 23:40Profile
Lawevangelis

Justin, TX

Re:

Brother,

Whatever your experiences were, and I'm sure you had them, they are irrelevant compared to what comes out of Bentley's mouth. What matters isn't what we "feel" at a service, but what is preached. It isn't even what we see (healings, real or otherwise). The validity of a teacher is not measured by his performance or the emotions he engenders, but by his message. And it is grossly misleading.

If we feel things that are emotionally uplifting and the preaching is anti-Scriptural, the feelings don't matter one iota.

Best,

Jon

2008/7/16 0:05Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Dear brother,
Believe me when I say that I understand what you are saying and have taught those in my congregations the very principles you espouse. However, I am not accepting feelings at the expense of scripture. When I was there the gospel was preached. Jesus did say also that you would know a false teacher by their fruits . . . fruits are obviously a reference to the Gal 5 fruits of the Spirit. Examine Bentley on that criteria.

2008/7/16 0:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy