SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Excellent Reprint: Gems of Robert Murray McCheyne

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Excellent Reprint: Gems of Robert Murray McCheyne

[img]http://www.kingsleypress.com/prodimages/gems-from-mccheyne.jpg[/img]

Originally Titled Gems: Or, The Best Thoughts of Rev. Robert Murray McCheyne, selected an arranged by Rev. A. S. Patton.

Robert Murray McCheyne, a 19th century Scottish minister had a way with language that made him a wonderful and warm preacher of the gospel. These gems are just that: jewels, small but bright, cut just right. They will adorn your mind and soul with holy truths and godly thoughts. The book is a collection of short but beautiful pieces that exalt Christ, teach the plain truths of the gospel, and give the soulmuch to contemplate and meditate upon.
Here's an example quotation: "Some pieces of wood will burn much more easily than others; some pieces are green, and do not readily catch the blaze, but a dry piece of wood is easily kindled. Prayerless souls are dry pieces of wood--they are ready for the burning."

And another: "When you gaze upon the sun, it makes everything else dark; when you taste honey, it makes everything else tasteless; so when your soul feeds on Jesus, it takes away the sweetness of all earthly things; praise, pleasure, fleshly lusts, all lose their sweetness. Keep a continued gaze. Run, looking unto Jesus. Look, till the way of salvation by Jesus fills up the whole horizon, so glorious and peace-speaking. So will the world be crucified to you, and you unto the world."

Also contains a brief sketch of McCheyne's character by Rev. James Hamilton, D.D.

63 pages

Price: $4.95

You can buy it here:
http://www.kingsleypress.com/gems-of-robert-murray-mccheyne.php

2008/7/6 11:43Profile

Re: Excellent Reprint: Gems of Robert Murray McCheyne

Nice! Robert M'Cheyne is one of my favorites; his biography is amazing. I'll have to look into getting this little book.

2008/7/6 19:12
nedcook

Shoals, Indiana, USA

Re: Excellent Reprint: Gems of Robert Murray McCheyne

Here is a quotation from page 39, directed toward those who proclaim the gospel of Christ:

We must be drinking the living water from the smitten Rock, or we cannot speak of its refreshing power. We must be hiding our guilty souls in the wounds of Jesus, or we cannot with joy speak of the peace and rest to be found there. This is the reason why unfaithful ministers are cold and barren in their labors. They speak like Balaam, of a Savior whose grace they do not feel. They speak like Caiaphas, of the blood of Christ, without having felt its power to speak peace to the troubled heart. This is the reason why many good men have a barren ministry. They speak from clear head-knowledge, or from past experience, but not from a present grasp of the truth, not from a present sight of the Lamb of God. Hence their words fall like a shower of snow, fair and beautiful, but cold and freezing.

2008/7/7 6:50Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Nice! Robert M'Cheyne is one of my favorites; his biography is amazing. I'll have to look into getting this little book.

Yes, I have to say he is one of my favorites also. I have heard very good things about this rare little book and its amazing to see it back in print.

2008/7/7 10:12Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

Thanks for the suggesting this book. I have been blessed in the past by some of your recent book review/ suggestions. I am currently reading a book you suggested and it has been great. I have only heard of Mr. M'Cheyne I have never pick up any of his material. If you have more suggestions please let me know.

2008/7/7 10:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy