SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Old Heresy's: Baby Baptism

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Old Heresy's: Baby Baptism

If any of you speak Portuguese, Portugal the area in which we my Grandparents live has very few churches and is bereft of any biblical churches in the Algarve precisely Luz.
The reason I was saying that the Anglican Church practices baby baptism and I was so horrified that I emailed the vicar.
If you know any good Churches in the Lagos, Portugal region please message me.
I have been struggling alot spiritually at the moment.

I do not know how many Churches still practise this but it is wrong, saying that someone is a christian when they are not.

2008/7/6 8:49Profile
theopenlife

Re: Old Heresy's: Baby Baptism

Deltadom, I do not personally agree with infant baptism, but have many friends who do. It is important to remember that many who do practice it do not believe that baptism makes anyone "born again" or "Christian".

Reformed churches believe that baptism is a [b]sign[/b] of the New Covenant. The sign simply points to the real thing: that one can only enter the new Covenant through repentant faith. They baptize their children because they believe God wants to give children of believers an evangelical witness, beginning when they are young. Reformed Christians teach their children that God wanted them baptised to remind them about what they need: to die with Christ and be raised through faith in Him.

They see infant baptism as being very similar to infant circumcision in the Old Testament. Circumcision was given to Abraham as a sign of his faith (Romans 5). Both of Abraham's children were circumcised before they had shown faith, and one turned out not to have faith. Esau and Jacob were also circumcised as infants, but only one ever had true faith. (Romans 9)

Just like circumcision told Jewish children that they needed their sinful hearts to be "cut off", so Reformed Christians believe God gives baptism as a special blessing to children of believers by showing them from a young age that God requires them to die and be raised with Christ through faith.

Hope that helps.

2008/7/8 21:29Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

The reason this horrified me, becuase he church of england church paraded round this young infant as if she was saved and all she had been was baptised and dipped her head in the water which would make it more a catholic infant baptism!
I was horrified because when she is older she could say I am a christian because I have been baptised and never had a believers baptism! and never been truly saved and think that she is?

2008/7/10 7:31Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy