SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Freedom -How important is it?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rbanks

Freedom -How important is it?

If you live in a nation where you are free to worship as you please, where many have died to protect your freedom, how important is it?

Jesus said -If the Son has made you free then you are free indeed. How important is this kind of freedom?

Just some thoughts to think about, where in the USA, many today will celebrate, not even understanding the price that was paid, nor the responsibility of freedom.

2008/7/4 15:11Profile
pastorfrin

Re: Freedom -How important is it?

1 Peter 2:11-25
Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; [12] Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
[13] Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; [14] Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. [15] For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: [16] As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. [17] Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. [18] Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. [19] For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. [20] For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. [21] For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: [22] Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: [23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: [24] Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. [25] For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

2008/7/4 18:06Profile
roadsign

Re: What is freedom?

Hi, rbanks, You ask an important question. In fact, I believe that this question should be asked much more than it is!

While we are thankful for the freedoms we enjoy in our democratic countries, it is important to remember that Christ died for an entirely different kind of freedom. Our forefathers did not die to set us free from the slavery of the old man ruled by the sin nature. They did not give us new life in Christ – in which we are free to live fully and vibrantly through him. The freedom that Christ gave us cannot be taken away from us, no matter what happens in our nations, no matter if all the churches get locked up.

The freedom that Christ gave us is not something that can be defended or fought for militarily or politically. In fact, believing that is dangerous.

Why not do a word study on all the uses of the word freedom/liberty, etc in the NT? (I think I'll do that sometime.)

You know what? I suspect that we fail to fully live in the freedom that Christ has given us. We (certainly I am guilty of it) allow others to rule us in areas where they have no right. We let people “make” us feel guilty when we are not. We let others pressure us. We allow ourselves to feel obligated to fulfill other people’s wishes for us, even if that are not God’s calling on us. We let other people get us down, pass their own grievances on to us.. and so forth. We don’t have to! In fact, this is sin.

I have been meeting many Christians who feel weighed down, tired, always under pressure of some kind – in spite of our national freedoms. They have been putting themselves in slavery to the expectations of society and culture, and even their own unreasonable expectations. And then they wonder why they are burnt-out and discouraged.

No, Christ has set us free from those voices nagging our conscience, free to hear him, and rest in him. And nobody, not the cruelest dictator, not the most abusive spiritual leader, not the meanest spouse - not even death itself can rob us of our freedom to experience rest in Christ’s love. And nothing is more important!

That’s just a few morsels of thought………. But a word study would be far better than my ramblings……. (Why not post your discoveries here?)

I hope you keep on asking those great questions!

Diane

2008/7/4 19:36Profile
rbanks

Re:

Hi roadsign,

Thanks for your outstanding post? I am glad you recognized the distinction of a free nation and those who are free in Christ.

Our greatest freedom is Christ living in us to the fullest. This is why the apostle Paul was the freest any could be even though he went through much tribulation and in chains often. Christ was his freedom from himself, sin, the world, and the devil.

Look at China (not a free nation)and yet millions of real christians in that underground church.

Many don't understand real freedom nor the responsibly thereof.

2008/7/4 20:04Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Freedom -How important is it?

"Turn you to the stronghold, ye prisoners of hope: even today do I declare [i]that[/i] I will render double unto thee;"

- Zechariah 9:12(KJV)

Hi everyone,

I saw a program this morning called [i]prisoners of hope[/i] and it began with this verse above. The program consisted in large part of the testimonies of some of the US servicemen who were prisoners of war in Veitnam.

One of the things that really stood out to me was the place they ascribed to faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

I wouldn't be worthy to answer for them about the question here in this thread. But it does seem that our freedoms here were important to them.

Chris

2008/7/5 8:51Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy