SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How much is to much?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
reformer

How much is to much?

I posted a couple of thoughts concerning, Hermeneutics and Bible translations. I was thinking this morning on my way to work, about how much we(I) spend searching theology, Hebrew/Greek, other sorts of curriculum's and tools of study. Is this really vital in our walk? Does it take away the beauty and simplisticy of the Word? How much is it a distraction? Now before I get railed from some that love theology's, I am not against it one bit! So be nice! :-)

Thinking what if we didn't have Greek/Hebrew resources or other study tools, seminary's, theolgys and all we had was the bible? Would that be enough?

Lately, I have been perplexed about this in y own walk. I have been taking a theology class, I enjoy it. But I ask myself why I am I taking it? I am puffed up? Is it a way to guide me to great understanding of Christ. Isn't that what the bible is all about? Isn't this sufficient for me; for us? How much do we miss we we spend so much of our time studying other books, and not allowing the word of God teach us? Does it really matter if I know and understand soterioloy, Arminianism, Pelegianism or eschatolgy, and other "ology's and "ism's"?

Not saying this is wrong, but how much do we base our spirituality on this?

I know Krispy at one time experienced something like this and commented beautifully on this subject in the past. It has been a while ago, I wish I could find the comment.

Reformer

2008/7/3 8:24Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: How much is to much?

In reading your post, this scripture from Matthew 25 came to me.

It concerns the servants who were given talents, 5,2 and 1.

You know the scripture, how the one who got one talent buried it. The rest used theirs.

No doubt, each of us have our own abilities. I know I'll never be a rocket scientist, or a professor of theology if you like, but there are those who will be.

If someone wants to study Greek and Hebrew, so be it. Whether at home or at a school, it doesn't matter.

As the scriptures tell us, we are to study the word, 2 Tim 2v15, also Psalm 1v2.

What format that takes is anyone's guess, unless someone does know.

I just wonder about people who cannot read, or struggle with reading. Clearly, Greek and Hebrew is not for them, but that does not nullify their salvation.

Intresting question.

2008/7/3 9:00Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

We are all called to walk the individual path God has for us. And while we are all called to walk the straight and narrow…most of us are at different points along the trail…so to speak. While some may feel drawn to study theology and contemplate other “isms” and “ologies”…others may not. We must be careful not to place our personal convictions on one another. I do not know where God is leading you. I am not saying we should not cast warnings…just saying this is a matter between you and God. If you are feeling convicted about balancing your time between pure Bible study and other more “theological” type studies…you may have your answer.

There is a season for everything. We have all probably been convicted of putting something before our Bible study. The key is balance and moderation. Listen to His still small voice. He will lead you.

Does it make someone more spiritual? A.W. Tozer said it best when he said:

“God will not hold us responsible to understand the mysteries of election, predestination and the divine sovereignty. The best and safest way to deal with these truths is to raise our eyes to God and in deepest reverence say, “O Lord, Thou knowest.” Those things belong to the deep and mysterious Profound of God’s omniscience. Prying into them may make theologians, but it will never make saints.” A.W.Tozer - The Pursuit of God

Grace and peace

2008/7/3 9:26Profile
reformer

Re:

Quote:
We are all called to walk the individual path God has for us. And while we are all called to walk the straight and narrow…most of us are at different points along the trail…so to speak. While some may feel drawn to study theology and contemplate other “isms” and “ologies”…others may not. We must be careful not to place our personal convictions on one another. I do not know where God is leading you. I am not saying we should not cast warnings…just saying this is a matter between you and God. If you are feeling convicted about balancing your time between pure Bible study and other more “theological” type studies…you may have your answer.

You wrote in a previous thread: "I guess I just want to point out that when someone shows a great interest or fondness for a particular subject here on SI we often times do not know why or for what reason. I have many times brought up scriptures and insights that may have defended theologies I do not endorse…[b]all to help gain a fellow brother or sister’s perspective. I do a lot of research and ask questions on a variety of topics…many times on subjects I do not discuss or even mention outside of the SI realm."[/b]

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22888&forum=35]The Real ME: TJSERVANT[/url]

Discussing on SI has been helpful for me and I enjoy it greatly. If I can't share what is intriguing to me or something I feel God has been doing in me, then there is no longer any reason for me to be on SI. I get more from the discussion groups here than anywhere else on any other website. The knowledge and wisdom many have, I value! Would I want to share my thoughts with someone who would not understand? NO! I would hope I could share on SI and not be criticized for it!

How many discussions have you and others started that were deemed as "thoughts" of interest? Things that God spoke to you about? Don't we all do this?

Brother I know you probably were trying to give me some advice and you probably meant well...but it wasn't received well. I think you might need to browse your own threads and read through some of your own thoughts? Don't bash mine please? I am not trying to cause strife or attack theologies. I had a thought I wanted to discuss that was of interest to me. If it's not interest to you or anyone else, then don't respond. But I thought it was rude to tell me not too!

Good bye...I think this was the last nail on the coffin for me on SI...well atleast discussions. I still love the other resources.

Bless you
R

2008/7/3 10:32Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Not really sure what happened here.

I was defending you and your conversations…I was not coming against you. I am glad you pulled up the thread you did. You should see from it that I fully endorse all theological discussion.

I have re-read and re-read my reply to your original post and cannot figure out what you are saying I said that so offended you.

If you will further investigate the majority of my posts you will see I clearly endorse what you are doing here on SI.

Why would you think that today I just turned a 180 and attacked you for what I clearly advocate?

I do not understand.

Please…let us reason before you pull the plug from SI

**edit**

Please do not see my poor electronic communication skills as anything other than what they are. I often suffer from what I call “clear as mud syndrome”. I hope that by re-reading my post you will see in it that I did not intend to do anything other than encourage you to do what you are doing. I have nothing to come against you about.

I think we see SI in the exact same light…a wonderful place to talk about and discus a wide variety of topics and concerns.

What ever you got out of my post was the exact opposite of what I intended for it to be.
My previous posts on SI should clearly show this.

Grace and peace

2008/7/3 10:54Profile

Quote:
I know Krispy at one time experienced something like this and commented beautifully on this subject in the past. It has been a while ago, I wish I could find the comment.

..yea... me too! lol

I hear what you're saying. I dont think there is a thing wrong with studying theology so long as our only purpose in doing so is to know God more and to deepen our relationship with Him.

I think many times we miss that tho. I know I do. But the gospel is so simple. So easy to understand. But we complicate it all too often, ya know?

Our salvation is not based on the version we read, the style of music we like, whether you're Calvinistic or Arminian, if you are pre-trib or post-trib, if you're in a traditional church or house church, American or Chinese, how long or short your hair is...

Krispy

2008/7/3 11:07
reformer

Re:

Quote:
[b]While some may feel drawn to study theology and contemplate other “isms” and “ologies”…others may not. We must be careful not to place our personal convictions on one another. I do not know where God is leading you. I am not saying we should not cast warnings…just saying this is a matter between you and God.[/b]

"We must be careful not to place our personal convictions on one another."

"...just saying this is a matter between you and God."

Just felt like I was being shut down. Thought it was an interesting topic, that I noticed in my personal devotions. I don't think God is against theology. As long as Christ is the center of everything you do and the aim is to know Him deeper.

trust me I am not pulling the plug on SI. just the discussions. Plus I am not that good at it anyways. I am not a deep thinker, and if it wasn't for spell check, it would take double the time to do a thread.

2008/7/3 11:51Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
"We must be careful not to place our personal convictions on one another."

"...just saying this is a matter between you and God."

Glad you picked up on these statements. I have had people shoot me down for the very things you are speaking of and this was a warning to us all (them…you and me included) that we should not place our convictions on to other folks that may like to ponder theological type ideas. There is nothing wrong with studying these things

As for the between you and God part…well that just says what it says. There are some folks that study Greek/Hebrew/theology and stuff so much that I would personally feel guilty of time management issues. This is why I said it is a matter between each of us and God.

Sorry that all this unfolded the way it did. I have enjoyed many of you posts here on SI and hope you continue to contribute. We can all learn from each other. Even when people like me demonstrate what not to do…and how not to do it.:-)

Grace and peace

2008/7/3 12:05Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
I am not a deep thinker, and if it wasn't for spell check, it would take double the time to do a thread.

Deep thinking is not a requirement for providing beneficial and insightful comments and if it wasn’t for MS Word I would not post at all. I cannot spell my own name half the time.

God bless you.

JT

…I mean TJ ;-)

2008/7/3 12:11Profile
reformer

Re: Sorry everyone!

Just want you all to know that I am sorry for being rude to TJServant. If I gave it some thought first I know it wasn't meant that way. Sometimes, I can start out from the gates swinging! I know that Lord has been dealing with me and my sarcasm and anger.

So please forgive me! I am sorry!!

In Love
Reformer

2008/7/3 21:56Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy