SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Praying in the Psalms

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

Praying in the Psalms

For a long time when reading Scripture I would be so drawn to the prayers of men like Abraham, Moses, Elijah, or Joshua. Abraham pleading for Sodom. Moses on the mountain crying out for Israel. Joshua commanding the sun to stand still during battle. Elijah calling down fire on Mount Carmel. The prayers carry such weight and the responses from God would show us how He was moved by the cry that came to Him.

However, I am becoming more and more drawn to the prayers in the book of Psalms. They are so real! They are filled with such a diversity of songs, prayers, and petitions to the Lord. In one psalm, David is seen rejoicing before his Lord and King. In another psalm, he is stressed and angry and pouring his heart out to Him. In one Psalm, he is interceding for Israel. In another he is telling God how much he hates his enemies. What honesty there is in the Psalms!

While we aren’t meant to copy the exact prayers of the Psalms, I believe the Holy Spirit inspired these to show us the reality of the human heart and the delight that God has when we talk to Him about EVERYTHING. Not just revival. Not just ministry. But being completely honest with Him about how annoyed we are with someone. While our annoyance may be carnal and wrong, atleast talking to Him about it is better than denying it.

Praise God for the Psalms…

2008/7/2 11:07Profile
Limey153

Berkshire, England

Re: Praying in the Psalms

Oh that the Lord may teach us to pray like these men! One verse that really gets me thinking is Exodus 33:11

11. The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend.

How incredible is this! May the Lord bring us all into such a close relationship with himself.

2008/7/2 11:38Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Praying in the Psalms

God Himself referred to David, son of Jesse; as
"a man after My own heart." I think this is
because David shared so much of his heart with
God!

2008/7/2 14:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy