SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is faith?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

What is faith?

What is faith? How do we get and have faith? Faith in what? who? how?

Grace,
Doug

2004/7/1 11:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: What is faith?

I don't want to cramp the discussion but person-to-person (Abraham, My Friend_26) in the Abraham, My Friend series might be a useful starting point for some.

2004/7/2 4:14Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Faith is the substance of things unseen and the hope of things to come. I think faith is something we all have, the thing is do we use it? Faith is like a muscle and life is a gym, let's get to working out! Exercising faith is doing what faith says to do, believing in what you have not seen, and despite dire situations hoping for better days to come because you trust God will see you through.

2004/7/2 10:37Profile
rookie

Re:

Faith is knowing God because He has revealed Himself to you. Understanding of the Holy Scriptures comes to the individual as He reveals the ways in which He relates to you. The word of God becomes alive to you because you experience the same situations that other saints of the Scriptures have experienced. These experiences of living through the Scripture creates the substance for which we hope to have more of. As we He trains us to say, "Yes Lord," we grow in the knowing Him. We begin to see His righteousness. We begin to understand a life that exists that we knew nothing about before. This Life experience begins to replace the desires of our heart. This Life causes us to strive for things the world finds foolish. We ourselves begin to see how foolish our imaginations and hopes were. As we continue to see how good His path is, we begin to follow, most of the time not knowing where we are going. Yet because of our drawing nearer to Him, we begin to view our life as a treasure hunt. We seek to understand. As we realize new revelations of Him, His truth, His righteousness,
this pursuit manifests itself in what other people around us begin to recognize in us. The evidence of His unmerited favor flows from us. Yet the world knows nothing of the grace that grabs our hearts. They only see a life that begins to resemble Jesus.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/7/2 16:43Profile
Rahman

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. - John.14:2, 3

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate me from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Rom. 8:38,39

These two scriptures together encapsulate what faith is to me, and gives me chills of blessed assurance just to think about them, and the Holy Ghost surges whithin me every time I read them together ... As far as the answer to the other parts of the questions about faith I have but one answer my/our ... Jesus

2004/7/2 17:28Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Hello Doug!

One aspect of faith is the manifestation of our belief in God (Father, Son and Holy Ghost). Say for example, a person told you that there was $1BILLION dollars worth of gold in your back yard. There is only one catch, the gold is deep underground, and in other words, you have to work to get at it. My actions thereafter, judge whether I have faith in the words the man has told me. If I say I believe him and I do nothing, then my very actions contradict my words. Not even the laziest of saps would simply fold his arms and let the thought of what the gold must look like torment his imagination and dreams. If, when I hear these words, I begin to dig and work in my back yard then the man who has told me does not even have to ask me if I believe him. My actions give substance to my belief. In the same way, we need to do some sort of good works to give substance to our faith in Jesus Christ.

Mr. Ravenhill gave a better illustration, if I read all the exercise and fitness books in the world, and study muscles physiology to the extent that I may become a respected authority for the knowledge of muscle function, no knowledge I possess will add a single gram of muscle to my body. Unless I exercise my knowledge and beliefs, my muscles will not miraculously grow. In the same way unless our faith is excised, it will never grow.

In short, as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead (James 2:26)

James

2004/7/2 19:04Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

I just noticed this in Robert Barclay's CATECHISM (he was a quaker):

Question. What is Faith?
A. Faith is the Substance of things hoped for and the Evidence of things not seen [Heb. 11:1].

Q. Is Faith of absolute Necessity?

A. Without Faith it is impossible to please him; for he that cometh to God, must believe that he is, and that he is a Rewarder of them that diligently seek him [Heb. 11:6].

Q. Are we justified by Faith?

A. Wherefore the Law was our School-master to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by Faith [Gal. 3:24].

Q. What is the Nature of this Faith that availeth to Justification?

A. For in Jesus Christ neither Circumcision availeth any thing, nor Uncircumcision; but Faith which worketh by Love [Gal. 5:6].

Q. Are Works then necessary to Justification as well as Faith?

A. But wilt thou know, O Vain Man, that Faith without Works is Dead? Was not Abraham our Father justified by Works when he had offered Isaac his Son upon the Altar? Seest thou how Faith wrought with his Works, and by Works was Faith made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled; which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him for Righteousness: He was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by Works a man is justified, and not by Faith only [James 2:20-24].

2004/7/3 22:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Rom 10:17 KJV)

faith is right response to revelation...

on the other hand...
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. (Jam 4:17 KJV)

sin is the wrong response to revelation...

hence... whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Rom 14:23 KJV)

2004/7/6 4:04Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Philologos

Quote:

philologos wrote:
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Rom 10:17 KJV)

faith is right response to revelation...

on the other hand...
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. (Jam 4:17 KJV)

sin is the wrong response to revelation...

hence... whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Rom 14:23 KJV)

The best response I've ever heard...

James

2004/7/6 5:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy