Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Powerful Quotes by Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Powerful Quotes by Tozer

This frightening hour calls aloud for men with the gift of prophetic insight. Instead we have men who conduct surveys, polls and panel discussions. We need men with the gift of knowledge. In their place we have men with scholarship---nothing more. Thus we may be preparing ourselves for the tragic hour when God may set us aside as so-called evangelicals and raise up another movement to keep New Testament Christianity alive in the earth.
-A.W. Tozer

It is useless for large companies of believers to spend long hours begging God to send revival. Unless we intend to reform we may as well not pray. Unless praying men have the insight and faith to amend their whole way of life to conform to the New Testament pattern there can be no true revival.
-A.W. Tozer

The fact is that we are not today producing saints. We are making converts to an effete type of Christianity that bears little resemblance to that of the New Testament. The average so-called Bible Christian in our times is but a wretched parody on true sainthood. Yet we put millions of dollars behind movements to perpetuate this degenerate form of religion and attack the man who dares to challenge the wisdom of it.
-A.W. Tozer

Today we need prophetic preachers; not preachers of prophecy merely, but preachers with a gift of prophecy. The word of wisdom is missing. We need the gift of discernment again in our pulpits.
-A.W. Tozer

Christianity is so entangled with the world that millions never guess how radically they have missed the New Testament pattern. Compromise is everywhere.
-A.W. Tozer

Any spirit that permits compromise with the world is a false spirit. Any religious movement that imitates the world in any of its manifestations is false to the cross of Christ and on the side of the devil.
-A.W. Tozer

The popular notion that the first obligation of the church is to spread the gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth is false. Her first obligation is to be spiritually worthy of it.
-A.W. Tozer

We desperately need seers who can see through the mist---Christian leaders with prophetic vision. Unless they come soon it will be too late for this generation. And if they do come we will no doubt crucify a few of them in the name of our worldly orthodoxy.
-A.W. Tozer

The man who preaches truth and applies it to the lives of his hearers will feel the nails and the thorns. He will lead a hard life, but a glorious one. May God raise up many such prophets. The church needs them badly.
-A.W. Tozer

If the church in the second half of this century is to recover from the injuries she suffered in the first half, there must appear a new type of preacher. The proper, ruler-of-the-synagogue type will never do. Neither will the priestly type of man who carries out his duties, takes his pay and asks no questions, nor the smooth-talking pastoral type who knows how to make the Christian religion acceptable to everyone. All these have been tried and found wanting. Another kind of religious leader must arise among us. He must be of the old prophet type, a man who has seen visions of God and has heard a voice from the Throne. When he comes (and I pray God there will be not one but many) he will stand in flat contradiction to everything our smirking, smooth civilization holds dear. He will contradict, denounce and protest in the name of God and will earn the hatred and opposition of a large segment of Christendom.
-A.W. Tozer

2004/6/30 23:18Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Powerful Quotes by Tozer

"I tell you that I can only pray that God would help me to preach so that you'd sweat. I don't want you to go away feeling good. This idea that the church is a place where you go to get a tranquilizer, you feel all bad come to church and will sing soft songs and preach pussy cat sermons to you and purr and purr until you feel better. Why don't you go down to the drug store and ask for a tranquillizer if that's what you want. If you only want to feel relaxed take a hot bath and a tranquilizer that'll relax ya. Relax ya and let you go to hell in your relaxation. That's not what a church is for to relax sinners. The church is to make sinners sweat! The church is to make backsliden Christians sweat and if I can bring the bubbly sweat out over you while I preach I will only thank God with all my heart no matter what you think of me."

A.W. Tozer

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=2487](Revelation - Part 4): To the Seven Churches[/url]

2004/7/1 0:24Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"Christians don't tell lies, they go to church and sing them!"

-A.W. Tozer

2004/8/25 0:35Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The Religious Star

For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.Ê --Philippians 2:20,21

In this day when shimmering personalities carry on the Lord's work after the methods of the entertainment world it is refreshing to associate for a moment even in the pages of a book with a sincere and humble man who keeps his own personality out of sight and places the emphasis upon the inworking of God. It is our belief that the evangelical movement will continue to drift farther and farther from the New Testament position unless its leadership passes from the modern religious star to the self-effacing saint who asks for no praise and seeks no place, happy only when the glory is attributed to God and himself forgotten....

Within the last quarter of a century we have actually seen a major shift in the beliefs and practices of the evangelical wing of the church so radical as to amount to a complete sellout; and all this behind the cloak of fervent orthodoxy. With Bibles under their arms and bundles of tracts in their pockets, religious persons now meet to carry on "services" so carnal, so pagan, that they can hardly be distinguished from the old vaudeville shows of earlier days. And for a preacher or a writer to challenge this heresy is to invite ridicule and abuse from every quarter.

Our only hope is that renewed spiritual pressure will be exerted increasingly by self-effacing and courageous men who desire nothing but the glory of God and the purity of the church. May God send us many of them. They are long overdue.
Of God and Men, 16-18.

I have highlighted a section above. It is sobering to think that it is probably more that 50 years ago that Tozer made this statement. We might pause to ask whether his predictions have proved true.

2004/9/3 3:23Profile

Re:

"Moses used the fact that he knew God as an argument for knowing Him better" Persuit of God, pg 15

God forbid that we ever be satisfied with a certain level of the knowledge of God if there is more of Him to be known.

2004/9/29 13:17

Re:

In my head I continued say "YES YES YES YES YES" as I read this one.

He puts it in great words, something I have trouble doing at times

Heres the quote:

"We read our chapter, have our short devotions and rush away, hoping to make up for our deep inward bankruptcy by attending another gospel meeting or listening to another thrilling story told by a religious adventurer lately returned from afar. The tragic results of this spirit are all about us: shallow lives, hollow religious philosophies, the preponderance of the element of fun in gospel meetings, the glorification of men, trusting in religous externalities, quasi-religous fellowships, salesmanship methods, the mistaking of dynamic personalities for the power of the Spirit. These and such as these are the symptons of an evil disease, a deep and serious malady of the soul." Persuit of God pg 65

2004/9/29 14:33

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy