SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Fear of God persuading men!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

The Fear of God persuading men!

I was listening to a sermon recently from a guy from Israel called Daniel which his name means god is my judge.
Anyway in the sermon he was saying about how nations like ours have lost the fear of god, I have been realising that in my life we are so used to sinning.
How god will judge with his smell. As the Hebrew word Ruach and the word smell are from the same root.
I have been thinking about this personally and how the fear of god keeps me from other fears.
Such as fears of what people think, the most commen problem to people evanglising is fear!
They are afraid of going out.
One of my most commen fears is parents and not having a partner.
The problem is not having a fear of god means that you can be persuaded by every which way of the devil.
In this nation we do not have the fear of god whatsoever in the church, it was the fear of god that was one of the main things such as the Great Awakening in Jonathan Edwards time which made them scream from not going to Hell.
The fear of God kept the Israelites from going astray in the first generation and the prophets on the right path. How I need the fear of god in abundance to stop us from sinning.

If you understand anything that was

Ge 20:11 - Show Context
And Abraham said, "Because I thought, surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will kill me on account of my wife.

2Sa 23:3 - Show Context
The God of Israel said, The Rock of Israel spoke to me: 'He who rules over men must be just, Ruling in the fear of God.

2Ch 20:29 - Show Context
And the fear of God was on all the kingdoms of those countries when they heard that the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel.

Ne 5:15 - Show Context
But the former governors who were before me laid burdens on the people, and took from them bread and wine, besides forty shekels of silver. Yes, even their servants bore rule over the people, but I did not do so, because of the fear of God.

Ps 36:1 - Show Context
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David the servant of the Lord. An oracle within my heart concerning the transgression of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes.

Ro 3:18 - Show Context
"There is no fear of God before their eyes."

2Co 7:1 - Show Context
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Eph 5:21 - Show Context
submitting to one another in the fear of God.

2008/6/24 8:01Profile

Re: The Fear of God persuading men!

Delta: Two days ago an old friend, who sits in the largest of protestant denominations, sings in the choir, etc., tells me of the fear of God, and begin to describe it, as respect...almost like the preferential treatment you would allow your grandfather..."yes Sir. Sit here , up front, Grandpa."

I was slightly grieved, and then related a mandate that Jesus declared of Himself. "Do not fear those who kill the body, but fear Him, who after killing the body, would cast the soul into Eternal fire."

The fear of the Lord, has it's roots in this terror, that He is the righteous judge, and He is extremely severe, as He is extremely good. Scripture exhorts us to save some "With fear" snatching them from the flames, hating even the garment stained with our evil natures.

"The fear of the Lord is clean, converting the soul."

It is the "BEGINNING" of Wisdom, and the root of "Conviction", which is how we hear the Lord, and become Holy. "Departing from Evil".

Paul said, "Knowing, brothers, the Terror of the Lord, we persuade men." Satan has fought hard to remove the Doctrine of the fear of the Lord, as without the reality of it, a person is liable to sin the multitude of iniquities that arise with PRESUMPTION.

You see, my friend also believes that no matter what you do....reject your brother, hate your brother, live a life of greed and opulence, and enjoy every living moment, for yourself alone, You are still saved. Once saved, always saved. This has removed all vestiges of Fear from him. It just doesn't matter,
for what ever I do, or think, I am saved.

This is a lie, and unscriptural. Read the Rebuke to the Laodicean's. Name blotted out of the Book of life?, by virtue of being vomited out of the Mouth of God. God gets grieved to, even to the point of declaring he never Knew you. "If any man draw back into Perdition, my soul will have no pleasure in him"..Paul Hebrews, speaking to the Body, the Church.

That scares me, for I know how sin so easily encroaches over my good intentions. I cry out, and repent, because I fear Him, and I know that Hades is reserved for all of those who reject His discipline; me included.

When a man's testimony was honored by the Lord, in many of the lives of our historical family, the Lord seemed to add this:.."And he feared the Lord GREATLY!", or "He trembled before the Lord!" This, is Wisdom, for he does hold Heaven, and alas, for some, he does hold Hell. Falling away implies that we attained a height to fall from. Sometimes the end of the honoring of a cold heart, ends in being cut off.

David wrote so much about this, and the Holy Spirit dedicated much of the Psalms to this virtue. We must learn to Love Him, and somehow in the knowing of His Love, there is the reality of knowing His fear, and the consequences of this exceed the boundries of respect alone, as far as the Heavens are above the Earth.

2008/6/24 8:44
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Hi Dom,

You bring up a most important subject. Understand that every teaching has it’s beginnings. A person must learn the sequence of numbers (count) before they can learn to add and subtract. One must learn their ABC’s before they can learn to read. The fear of the Lord is the 123's and ABC's of life. More than that, it is the [i]beginning[/i] (Proverbs 1:7) and the ending (Eccl. 12:13) of knowledge and the duty of man.

Though this truth comes as the 7th verse in Proverbs, it is the very [u]first[/u] actual teaching after the introduction. It is Proverb [i]number 1[/i]. This is the ‘alpha’ of understanding, the first truth that must be forged in our hearts. Without this, very little of the Christian faith makes sense to a sinner or a Christian.

The fear of the LORD is essential for our decision making processes and our understanding of the trials of life. Job, arguably the oldest book known to man, is a lesson on the FEAR of the LORD. Job did sacrifice in case his kids cursed God and would be damned. He feared his children going to hell or his wife going to hell, perhaps. He said that the things he feared the most had come upon him; that is, until God spoke out of the whirlwind (tornado). He learned that his greatest fear was to be GOD alone. God asked him 4 chapters of questions with [u]no[/u] apology or [i]explanation[/i] of His decisions.

What about Isaiah and how He saw the LORD? Was he ready for ministry before he trembled before God? Would he have made excuses for Uzziah his associate? Not after seeing God high and exalted in Isaiah 6. It all made sense then. Why did God have to judge Uzziah- God had to [i]show[/i] Isaiah something and that 'something' was His majesty.

What about John the Revelator? Did he deserve to be angry at God? Boiled in oil and persecuted for the faith? Placed on an Island of devils and mad men. People talking out of their heads? Perhaps God needed to show him something? He was faithful to take care of Mary the Lord's earthly mother by tradition. Everyone else was dead? What about it John? What did he say? I was in the Spirit on the LORD's day and I saw....

Abraham called God the "Judge of all the Earth". He will make the final decision where we spend eternity. He will DROP the gavel some day. Shall we dance and play in the presence of this JUDGE like Israel did at the base of the smoking Mount Sinai? Shall we sin with all of our might? Abraham knew to fear the Lord when he saw the smoke of Sodom's torment and the cities of the plain rising to heaven into the very nostrils of God. No doubt David, Solomon’s father instilled deeply into his heart

At a very young age the fear of the LORD and he likewise begins here teaching us. The foundation of our lives [u]must[/u] be built with the fear of God.

2008/6/24 9:19Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

Brothertom wrote:

Delta: Two days ago an old friend, who sits in the largest of protestant denominations, sings in the choir, etc., tells me of the fear of God, and begin to describe it, as respect...almost like the preferential treatment you would allow your grandfather..."yes Sir. Sit here , up front, Grandpa."

I was slightly grieved, and then related a mandate that Jesus declared of Himself. "Do not fear those who kill the body, but fear Him, who after killing the body, would cast the soul into Eternal fire."

The fear of the Lord, has it's roots in this terror, that He is the righteous judge, and He is extremely severe, as He is extremely good. Scripture exhorts us to save some "With fear" snatching them from the flames, hating even the garment stained with our evil natures.

"The fear of the Lord is clean, converting the soul."

It is the "BEGINNING" of Wisdom, and the root of "Conviction", which is how we hear the Lord, and become Holy. "Departing from Evil".

Paul said, "Knowing, brothers, the Terror of the Lord, we persuade men." Satan has fought hard to remove the Doctrine of the fear of the Lord, as without the reality of it, a person is liable to sin the multitude of iniquities that arise with PRESUMPTION.

Brother you are right on! I fear that many (in the churches of our day) are not even born again. They just believe because they said a prayer, made a profession, that they are saved forever, no matter how they live.

There comes a holy fear in the regenerates heart the more he feeds on the word. The more he loves and respects God the more he fears doing anything that would displease Him.

Any person (including myself) who says they are saved without the fruit of repentance and a hatred of sin, and how they have lived, are deceiving themselves.

rbanks

2008/6/24 9:50Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

Amen to this post, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom...

As I read through the posts, I was reminded of this passage in Romans 11... (I highlighted the scripture relating to the fear of the Lord...)

17If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in." 20Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22[b]Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.[/b] 23And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!

2008/6/24 10:56Profile

Re: I'm scared reading this!

No kidding! I feel the fear of God reading these posts as I sit, and there is a confidence in it for me. I know how tricky and deceptive I can be, and beg God to show me, that I can have a clean spirit, and be pleasing unto Him.

Why do I want to please Him? An old friend said;"So that by any means, I may attain unto the resurrection of the dead!" Unclaimed sin in me , and my refusal to give it to God, [and His compassion as He looks upon the Sacrifice of my Savior] is the one thing that could steal my Eternal Life. I do not want to Die!; The second death. The first one is inevitable, and to some degree, I do not fear it at all, but that next one, well , that scares me. "Pray always that you will be counted worthy to attain unto the Resurrection of the Dead, and to stand before the Son of God!"

Why, or how could we pray this, if we did not believe that it possibly would not turn out this way? "It is a fearful thing to fall into the Hands of the Living God!"

A double amen to my brothers and sisters posting ! This is truth.

2008/6/24 11:25
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Fear of God persuading men!

It seems like the fear of God is evading men.

Would to God it would invade men.

Know the old hymn, 'Almost Persuaded'? It ends with, 'almost persuaded, but lost!'

The fear of God is necessary. As we know, it is the beginning of wisdom.

Oh, for that wisdom.

2008/6/24 11:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy