SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Pagan Christianity"-by Frank Viola

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
BlazedbyGod

"Pagan Christianity"-by Frank Viola

"Pagan Christianity" by Frank Viola, I bought this book today, I had heard about it for some time, but I was wondering what did the SermonIndex family who have read this book, view about it? What are some of your thoughts?

2008/6/16 20:11Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re: "Pagan Christianity"-by Frank Viola

Have not read it...but have heard from other brothers who have read this book. Their only comment was on Violas and Barnas hardlined stance on 'house churches' and their fresh insight into the issue of water baptism.

Would like to read it some time but would like to hear others who have read, including you, "blazed by God."

2008/6/16 21:56Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

Ruach34 wrote:
Have not read it...but have heard from other brothers who have read this book. Their only comment was on Violas and Barnas hardlined stance on 'house churches' and their fresh insight into the issue of water baptism.

Would like to read it some time but would like to hear others who have read, including you, "blazed by God."

Ok, I will make sure I give you and update as I read it-thanks for replying.

What did your friends commemt as far as Viola & Barnas "...hardlined stance on house churches"?

2008/6/16 21:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Here is an older thread;

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=21244&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Frank Viola - Shaking Up Church[/url]

2008/6/16 22:41Profile
bonni

montana usa

Hi BlazedbyGod,

I have read this book a few years ago. I am all for homechurch, so I enjoyed much in this book. Although it has keen insights into many issues, there seemed to be an underlying disdain for anyone who did not agree wholeheartedly with their stance that any form of organized church was to be avoided and rebuked. They make you feel as if you are a compromiser if you have anything to do with them(organized church) at all, other than rebuking them. It seemed a little arrogant at times.

Some of the things that they say are true and need to be heeded, other things that they seem to make a big deal over seem to be petty, and minor things.

I also loved the wonderful insights on water baptism that they shared. The church seems to have replaced baptism with the modern day "altar call"

I think you can receive much good, just don't pick-up on the negativity.

blessings, bonni

2008/6/17 2:48Profile
bonni

montana usa

Re:

Another thing I liked about this book was that it supported the plurality of elders biblically.

bonni

2008/6/17 3:08Profile

Re:

Excellent book that I have been recommending on this forum for a couple of years now.

Krispy

2008/6/17 7:26
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I think you can receive much good, just don't pick-up on the negativity

If one has to be so cautious about reading a work, why bother reading it? Are there no other books better that would be more edifying?

Just a question - or an opinion, perhaps?...maybe others have more time on their hands then I do...

ginnyrose

2008/6/17 8:21Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

Basically, my friend that read this book noticed that Viola and Barna would recommend no other way to conduct 'church' than in the house church format. It sounded like they bashed the traditional 'church' context.

Anyway...this is coming from third-hand source (me) so it is not accurate.

2008/6/17 16:35Profile
bonni

montana usa

Re:

ginnyrose quoted

" If one has to be so cautious about reading a work, why bother reading it? Are there no other books better that would be more edifying?

Just a question - or an opinion, perhaps?...maybe others have more time on their hands then I do..."

ginnyrose

I definetly agree with not wasting time when there are many godly books to read that are edifying.

I don't think there are many books on this subject, and I do think that it is very timely in this age where apostacy is flourishing.

I didn't have a problem reading this book and receiving much eye-opening information. I have seen others though that take everything in the book and "run with it" to the extent of cutting themselves off from fellowship (with anyone that attended any "organized" fellowship) and much needed personal accountability. Pride entered in and they fell away from God.

Now I do not in anyway mean to imply that it was only because of this book, but I think some of the ideas or mindsets in this book may of fed that spiritual pride that was already lurking in this brothers heart.

In saying this, I guess it's not so much being cautious about reading this work but more of being cautious of who's hands it gets into, hopefully not an overly zealous novice, unless there are brothers who can help him discern where to draw the lines in some of the extremes.

Overall I am glad that I read it. I think they are sincere godly men trying to wake up the body of Christ to be just that...the body, functioning as the body with many members, not sitting under one man (that you are paying a wage) to spoon feed you once a week. That is definetly not the apostolic way!

Receive the truths contained within it, act on it in tempered love, gentleness, meekness.

Read it once, but don't make a steady diet of it, in other words, Don't let these truths become your focus. Walking in humility and obedience to Christ, doing His will in love, for His glory needs to be our focus.

God Bless, bonni

2008/6/17 17:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy