Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : DVD set--- The Cross: Jesus in China

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
revival9

Arizona, USA

DVD set--- The Cross: Jesus in China

This 4-disc set covers the history of Christianity in China, and the incredible testimony of the 'illegal' house church movement. We are shown actual footage of dozens of Christians from all walks of life.

China is currently experiencing the most massive revival in human history, and the most severe persecution, both at the same time! The producers of this documentary, all commited Chinese Christians who are currently in the US, traveled to China to give us a first-hand view of this mighty move of God. It is full of personal testimonies of real people, who have risked their lives to be videotaped. It's completely in English (select "English" on the opening DVD screen), and professionally done in every way. I will quote from the DVD case:

[i]The documentary film "The Cross: Jesus in China" consists of 3 episodes and one short subject. It lasts about 4 hours.[/i]

[i]The first episode "The Spring of Life" recounts the rebirth that the Gospel has brought to a broad spectrum of people in modern China. Included are testimonies from farmers, students, officials, criminals, orphans, actors, writers, scientists, and entrepreneurs.[/i]

[i]The second episode "Seeds of Blood" follows the bloody footprints of the Chinese missionaries of the older generation after the Boxer Rebellion, particularly in the past fifty years. The stories of Mingdao Wang, John Sung, Watchman Nee, Allen Yuan, Samuel Lamb, Mosis Xie, Yang Xinfei, and Epaphras are covered.[/i]

[i]The third episode "The Bitter Cup abounds with compelling testimonies by missionaries of the younger generation. Their dedication, suffering, faithfulness, and thanksgiving have led to an unprecedented revival of the Chinese Christian church.[/i]

[i]The documentary short subject "The Canaan Hymns" tells the amazing story of a farm girl Xiao Min. She is a high school dropout with no musical training. nevertheless, she created nearly a thousand hymns by the power of the Holy Spirit.[/i]

The faces of our Chinese brothers and sisters radiate with the glory of God. Their tears, their love, their commitment to Christ, are overwhelming. The songs they sing are so simple and yet so moving. There are English subtitles for those portions, so that we can feel the power of their singing. My family has been radically changed, in a way nothing else has ever done.

God has often used books, tracts, and personal testimonies to spread revival fires around the globe. I feel strongly that revival will follow this DVD wherever it is shown. The quiet message builds the story powerfully in the mind. Added to the other resources available about the Chinese house churches, it will ignite a fire in the hearts of Western believers and remind us "how far we have fallen".

Produced by www.chinasoul.org
Available from www.persecution.com

2004/6/28 14:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: DVD set--- The Cross: Jesus in China

Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered it.

2004/6/28 15:17Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: DVD set--- The Cross: Jesus in China

I ordered this DVD set and was absolutely blown away by it. It was really amazing to see. I cannot recommend it enough. It is really something to see how the Church there absolutely flourishes. I was staggered by the fact that the Church is running orphanages and such, despite their existance as the Church being illegal. Granted, it is done at a very low key level, but still... amazing.

2004/7/10 20:07Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Yes, it is an amazing series. A bit of a side story:

The mastermind behind [i]The Cross: Jesus in China[/i] is Zhiming Yuan. He was a renowned writer in China and was a significant intellectual force behind the student protests in China in 1989, which culminated in the Tianmen Square Massacre on June 4. He was not a Christian then.

Yuan escaped from China from the Massacre, disillusioned and disappointed. While he was in Europe, he found comfort praying in a church. From then on, fueled by his newfound faith, Yuan found that [b][i]"democracy for China"[/i][/b] is a helpless cause unless a radical change in human heart occurs. [b][i]"Jesus for China"[/i][/b] became his new motto.

Yuan's work today involves gospel ministry to Chinese scholars and intellectuals overseas and equipping those who are converted to Christianity (these highly-educated people are expected to exercise significant influence in China's social fabric in the future) for further ministry in China.

In 1949, upon the expulsion of foreign missionaries in China, it was generally thought that the door to the gospel is closed. Yet God works in mysterious ways--the seeds of blood have reaped a great harvest that we see today. Please pray for the Church in China!

2004/7/14 9:34Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Thanks Sam for enlightening us. Still have yet to purchase this, but that is quite remarkable about Zhiming Yuan. That the Lord used him in this way [i]before[/i] and now after:

Quote:
From then on, fueled by his newfound faith, Yuan found that [b]"democracy for China"[/b] is a helpless cause unless a radical change in human heart occurs. [b]"Jesus for China"[/b] became his new motto.

Quote:
Please pray for the Church in China!

Yes, let us continue to do so.

2004/7/14 10:16Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

After watching the DVD series, I believe I am forced to make this awful statement regarding the Church in the United States:

The notion of Jesus Christ as the head of the Church is simply a paper doctrine. In China, the notion of Jesus Christ as the head of the Church is a very easily seen reality.

I think this can probably be seen especially in the fact that we are not sending any missionaries to China. I was shocked to learn that the Assemblies of God and the Church of God, two of the largest Pentecostal denominations in the world, do not have any missions program to China. Could it be the reason that formal denominations do not exist in China is because these denominations do not want to start a church unless they can put their sign on the front door?

If Jesus Christ were truly the head of the Church, would we not send missionaries to China? But because our denominational leaders are the head of the churches, we do not? Granted, we would have to send them illegally... but so?

2004/7/21 22:21Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Jimmy,

To be fair, missionaries are not allowed to enter China. Moreover, preaching of the gospel is not allowed outside the premises of the authorised church buildings.

Christians overseas have to weigh the risks involved in sending missionaries illegally. There is always the risk of aggravating the sufferings of local Christians -- when caught, the foreign missionaries were usually simply deported back to their home countries. But those local Christians who have had contact with them might end up in prison and suffer severe consequences. These are factors that informed Christians should consider.

Finally, as can be seen from the DVD, [i]The Cross[/i], there is no lack of local lay Christians who are willing to heed the call of the Great Commission.

The greatest need, however, is in theological education and leadership training. Due to the lack of knowledge of the truth, many heresies have made significant in-roads in China.

For instance, the [i]Eastern Lightning[/i] is a heretic group that has grown phenomenally in China. Its female leader claimed to be the [i]third[/i] coming of Christ. This secretive group is well-known for infiltrating orthodox Christian groups.

But I'm glad that this DVD has once again drawn attention of worldwide Christians to the harvest that the Lord had prepared in China. Seeds of blood have finally yielded blossoming fruit!

Just my two pennies.

2004/7/27 15:52Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

To be fair, missionaries are not allowed to enter China.

I think the achiles heel as it were to China is Hong Kong, I know allot of missionary activity has been directed there because of the open culture of the city. It is a very thin bamboo curtain.

Quote:

Finally, as can be seen from the DVD, [i]The Cross[/i], there is no lack of local lay Christians who are willing to heed the call of the Great Commission.

It is amazing to hear of reports of chinese christians taking the gospel back across the lands to Jerusalem. Visiting all those places and preaching the gospel to those people. I believe the attitude is that they are never going to return, truely is amazing and at the same time stirring to see them embrace the call.

Zeke

2004/7/28 15:10Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

I just purchased this and have only seen one of the DVDs as both my computer and DVD have ceased to work. It is great to see God moving in China.

There are a lot of problems in the church as mentioned in the thread. Not only are missionaries not allowed, children under the age of 18 are not allowed to attend church (even the so-called "church" allowed under China law).

Despite these problems, there are many youth in the "underground church" (i.e. the house churches). There are some Bible schools there (we have one there) but they're under the guise of something else. The house church pastors have as many as 200 churches each and they go from place to place on bicycle.

We need to pray that God will continue to strengthen them so that they will withstand the attacks of the enemy. The proliferation of cults is also an issue that needs our prayer as well.

The more I discover about believers in China convicts me about the lifeless nature of the "church" in the U.S.

2004/7/29 7:42Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

To be fair, missionaries are not allowed to enter China. Moreover, preaching of the gospel is not allowed outside the premises of the authorised church buildings.

Christians overseas have to weigh the risks involved in sending missionaries illegally. There is always the risk of aggravating the sufferings of local Christians -- when caught, the foreign missionaries were usually simply deported back to their home countries. But those local Christians who have had contact with them might end up in prison and suffer severe consequences. These are factors that informed Christians should consider.

Indeed, I am very aware foreign missionaries are not permitted in the country. Then again, neither are local ones. All Christian church activity outside of the official state Church is simply illegal. Indeed, there are risks. But, I always thought the life of a missionary would be one full of great risks as it is?

Quote:

The greatest need, however, is in theological education and leadership training. Due to the lack of knowledge of the truth, many heresies have made significant in-roads in China.

Indeed. I have heard the same thing myself. Perhaps it would have been a little inappropriate in the DVD set to mention, but I think they should've mentioned it. The DVD almost makes it sound like all is well in the Chinese house. For the sake of balance, they should've shown that there are many heresies in China. It would not shock me if some of the folks they interviewed on the DVD held such views.

2004/7/29 10:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy