SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 1 Corinthians 14:26 - let each of you...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

1 Corinthians 14:26 - let each of you...

1 Corinthians 14:26-33 "How is it then brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. If anyone speaks a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let him interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in the church, and let him speak to himself and to God. Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and be encouraged. And the spirit of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints."

A couple observations...
1) Paul is addressing the "church" of Corinth, the very people of God. He is not speaking to the bishop of Corinth or district attendant of Corinth. He is speaking right to the very church.
2) If he is in fact speaking to the church, notice how he is addressing the church themself in how to handle their corporate gatherings "together". Not one man or woman is controlling these meetings. They all are learning to function "together" in the Lord.
3) He says "let each of you" bring forth a psalm, a teaching, a tongue, a revelation. The emphasis is put on every member of the body of Christ, not just one member controlling the rest of the members.

Hebrews 10:24-25 tells us to "stir up one another toward love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, but EXHORTING ONE ANOTHER, and SO MUCH MORE, as you see the Day approaching." This verse is used by many to tell others "you better go TO CHURCH" or sit in pews to hear a message. But look at the emphasis of the write of Hebrew... it is put on "exhorting one another". That was the emphasis of the assembling together.

The point in all this is the emphasis of the early church put on the Spirit of God through an "every-member" functioning body in the gatherings, not just one member. Here are some other passages to correlate with these ones...

Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing ONE ANOTHER in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs..."

Ephesians 5:19 "speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord"

Hebrews 3:13 "but exhort one another DAILY, while it is called 'Today' lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin."

It is my "opinion", not necessarily on the authority of the Scriptures, that a great hindrance to a revival is the fact that there isn't enough room or freedom for Christ to be expressed through the body in corporate gatherings. Therefore, there is a great quenching of the Spirit because of the "control" that takes place.

What are your thoughts on this passage? I am open to hear and reason with this text together..

2008/6/12 9:56Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: 1 Corinthians 14:26 - let each of you...

Quote:

What are your thoughts on this passage?

I enjoyed your thoughts on the passage. Indeed, these same thoughts have been troubling me for about five years now. Only a few times in the decade that I have been a Christian have I ever seen such a thing occur in any church (Pentecostal one's included!)

The fact of the matter is that such services are almost impossible to have today. And it's not due to people getting carried away and carnal, since most people are afraid to speak up in public. Rather, it is due to the fact that the professional clergy insist on being the head of the church here on earth, and controlling the service so as to retain "order," so that people don't get hurt, and furthermore, to keep them in business (after all, if the Jones' family gets hurt, they'll just go down the street and take their money with them).

I personally long to see such services as the norm instead of the exception. I think there is still room for the "traditional" service that most of us evangelicals have come to know. However, I believe that many Christians are made spiritual retards by not being allowed to exercise their God given gifts in the context of an assembly together for worship. They may abound in the fruit of the Spirit outside of church, but, ministerial wise, they would hardly know how to function towards other believers, let alone unbelievers.

2008/6/12 12:19Profile
Mattie

Re:

i agree with your observation kingjimmy.

and another point i'd like to make is i am not against large gatherings. God has done tremendous things in large gatherings, such as the early church meeting in Solomon's Porch at the Temple. But we have to remember this was a seasonal event with the purpose of raising up and building up the church. It wasn't meant to be a permanent principle.

I believe there is a place for the large gatherings but ultimately our desire has to be a corporate unity and fellowship that will demonstrate that Christ has been sent to the world.

2008/6/12 13:31Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re: 1 Corinthians 14:26 - let each of you...

If you don't mind spending about 3 dollars (plus S&H), buy this book, "The Gifts of the Holy Spirit", by Harold Horton.

If you are not familiar with Harold Horton, definitely look him up. He is also known from another testimonial book, "Seven Pentecostal Pioneers", by Colin Whittaker (another recommended buy).

The entire focus of this book is on exactly what you are considering here, 1 Corinthians 12 - 13 - 14.

I guarantee you will not regret buying this book, unless, you believe the Gifts of the Spirit are myths. I have never read any Christian literature so precise and detailed on the function and order of the Gifts of the Spirit. It is truly written by a man who was not only diligent to the Bible but living in the midst of what he wrote - Pentecost.

2008/6/12 13:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy