SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Sermon Server Space.. (slight problem)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Sermon Server Space.. (slight problem)

Just to let everyone know at SermonIndex I would like to explain the situation of the web servers and what is required to run the site.

1) the site its self and the sql server that holds all the textual and image data is hosted with www.gospelcom.net for [b]free[/b] because if you notice at the bottom of every page this ministry has been chosen out of 1000's on the web to be part of this alliance of ministry sites.

2) the sermons are hosted on another dedicated server which I run, because gospelcom cant host all the materials on their end due to bandwith costs, I could host the media files on their servers but the bandwidth would be extremely costly. Right now I have over 30gigs of sermon files on this one media server which has an bandwith allowance of 500gb per month. Which means per month all the data of the site can be downloaded aprox, 16x times over. But due to have videos on the site available and other larger files per month this has been coming pretty close to the limit. And I have been hesitant to get more sermons up for this cause.

I have recently had a brother volunteer to lock down the server and also back up all the media onto DVD for me and he is going to be sending that to me soon. But there is no solid backup solution for the media server which worries me abit, I know God has His hand on these servers and this site but its reasonable sometimes to ensure everything is backed up and can be restored effiecently and quickly.

3) I am praying and thinking about the possibilities to make more space for sermons and at the same time have more of a sure backup system. I know this is going to cost more per month and I havent really looked into all the possiblities yet but I would like to get some response from the users of the site, even more of the technical people who would know about backup solutions and more professional hosting.

I will also call gospelcom again and get some figures, I would love to host everything with them and I am sure they would try and cut me abit of a deal, they have a very secure network and it would be great to be totally hosted with them.

I am also forsure needing more partners with this ministry even at $5 USD a month ([url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/contents/index.php?id=1]Donations[/url]) so if you can help out that would be appreciated, and God Bless all that have made this ministry what it is today.. I am still can't believe the impact this ministry has had on the world for the glory of God.

2004/6/28 11:45Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Sermon Server Space.. (slight problem)

Greg,

Thanks for updating us all on the needs and the interworkings of operating and maintaining what the Lord is doing here.

Of first and utmost importance to us all:

Pray! Dear people pray for this ministry and for Greg, for each other those of us who frequent here. As this site has grown in scope, in adding more and more resources and continues to cut an undercurrent through this world gone mad, may we petition the Lord for support, strength and just what each of us can give of our time, talents and treasures.

I know you all are prayer warriors, so I am thanking you in advance.

Mike

2004/6/28 12:11Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re: Sermon Server Space.. (slight problem)

Quote:
3) I am praying and thinking about the possibilities to make more space for sermons and at the same time have more of a sure backup system. I know this is going to cost more per month and I havent really looked into all the possiblities yet but I would like to get some response from the users of the site, even more of the technical people who would know about backup solutions and more professional hosting.

This is an FYI for all SI users that are interested: I am still looking into different solutions for the sermon content of SI. One viable solution is to just upgrade the current file server box to newer OS and server box. I am looking at this one currently:

AMD Athlon 2600 Processor
1GB Memory
2 x 80 GB Hard Drive
2000 GB Bandwidth - No Cogent
[b]$149.00USD a month[/b]

This is the base cost for the server per month and might be more if the bandwith is excedded per month. There would also be an additional $49.95 setup fee for the box and all of this is including taxes. If I were to get this new box I would like to offer the mirror of SermonIndex to other sites with all the sermon content so that the word of God can spread abundantly across the world. My hosting company I have been using is very reliable and has done a good job so far, so I am thinking to stay with them.

If I go ahead with this I will be looking to do with during the week of August 16-21 there should be no downtime associated with this upgrade, keep all of this in prayer brothers and sisters.

2004/7/23 15:59Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
AMD Athlon 2600 Processor
1GB Memory
2 x 80 GB Hard Drive
[b]$149.00USD a month[/b]

Nice :)

Quote:
This is the base cost for the server per month and might be more if the bandwith is excedded per month.

We'd need nearly 4-5 times the current traffic to exceed 2000 GB a month, no? At that point, I'd hope we'd have enough additional people supporting this ministry that the extra cost would be easily handled.

Quote:
keep all of this in prayer brothers and sisters.

Of course.

2004/7/23 16:46Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
We'd need nearly 4-5 times the current traffic to exceed 2000 GB a month, no? At that point, I'd hope we'd have enough additional people supporting this ministry that the extra cost would be easily handled.

Actually no, I have been getting alot of leeway and the bandwidth has not been measured as it should have been. There are also lots more hidden costs with software and services for me to utilize the server for this ministry. Also as it stands there is no proper backup system in place so I really do think that is the next step to make sure that all this sermon content just doesn't disappear in one day from an hacker or computer failure.

2004/7/23 17:41Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If I go ahead with this I will be looking to do with during the week of August 16-21 there should be no downtime associated with this upgrade, keep all of this in prayer brothers and sisters.

There will be alot of details I will have to take care of and time to move all the sermons, I would really appreciate your prayers and support to allow this to go smoothly. I am also looking into upgrading my system here that I work on hopefully.. and get the sermons backed up on DVD, and possibly using the new technology of a 'rev drive' by iomega.com

2004/8/8 17:47Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Will do brother.
Give us another reminder just prior as well.

2004/8/8 17:55Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Give us another reminder just prior as well.

Hi Brother Mike and everyone at SI, I have purchased this machine:

AMD Athlon 2200 Processor
1GB Memory
1 x 80 GB Hard Drive
for [b]$119 per month.[/b]

The machine is running redhat linux 9 which is going to be very secure and stable. And the 2000GB bandwith will be ample for the amount of downloads taking place on the server. I have a brother who is going to help lock it down *(he is a direct answer to prayer). And he has a backup solution that he will be downloading every sermon onto his seperate server machine.

Also his recommendation is that I get another $79 server machine down the road and have all the files automatically backing up to that one also. Thank you everyone for your support of this ministry and prayers.

EDIT: so over the next week I will have to transist all the sermons and also I have paid for a converstion script that will change the address of the entries in the sql database to point to the other server once I am all over, pray it works out :)

Also on another note I am having to upgrade my computers badly to continue to use them for audio/video conversion and encoding. I have sold my laptop to a missionary friend who is going to india. So I will be looking for a good deal on a laptop and I will need to get a new VERY good desktop machine so I can handle audio restoration processes and burn DVD's from VHS etc.

2004/8/18 9:53Profile
lwpray

Sweden

To run an operation...

To run an operation of this category generates certain resistance in the spiritual realm. It is sometimes well beyond human limits to do battle against technical difficulties. To act as target on continuous basis in both these realms is downright exhausting.

We keep the technical difficulties under control by staying simple as to equipment here at the Intercessors Network HQ. The spiritual battle is at times fierce. I can tell you by personal experience from similar enterprises that the work Brother Greg has taken on is not a holiday effort.

I wonder how dear Greg keeps his head above the water line and his heart on fire.
LET US ALL SPEND MORE TIME PROVIDING PRAYER COVER.
LET US SPEND SOME MORE MONEY TO KEEP THE MACHINERY RUNNING AT PERFECT PACE.
Lars W.

2004/8/18 10:52Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re: To run an operation...

Quote:
LET US ALL SPEND MORE TIME PROVIDING PRAYER COVER.
LET US SPEND SOME MORE MONEY TO KEEP THE MACHINERY RUNNING AT PERFECT PACE.

Thank you dear brother, yes your prayers are needed to make this transition, already there are a few snags and I am praying we can get on this new server with all the sermons without too many problems. It will be a more secure and good setup, the process is starting today and wisdom and safty is needed for me and the brother Craig that is doing the technical work on the server.

2004/8/18 15:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy