SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A New Testament Answer to not having Tatoos!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I do think it's funny how we so quickly judge the empirical. LOOK he has Tatoos...that must be an unregenerate man's artwork! We are a funny creature (I judge too I always assume a guy full of tatoos wants to talk about them).

Rationalize the negative stereotype all you may, facts remain facts. Tattoos are viewed as such, and most people look upon them with disdain. I work for an employer who is unregenerate and he won't hire a person with visible tattoos. Friend, I am only sharing with you how the [i]world[/i] sees them and how the world makes judgment of its own goods. And yet Christians indwelt with the Holy Ghost shall be likewise adorned with this stigma post conversion? And again (judgment or not), it [i]is[/i] unregenerate man's artwork on the canvass of the skin, unless a born-again Christian happens to be the tattoo artist.
Quote:
But we need to stop screechin on an issue like this

Dear friend, no one is "screeching" here; this is a civil discussion about the topic, and the thread was purposefully designed as such.

Brother Paul

2008/6/10 11:27Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Anything Goes Christianity?

Quote:
But we need to stop screechin on an issue like this and save our energies to battle for the Trinity or Salvation by grace (the last sentence was inspired by a conversation with a United Pentacostal that told me I could lose my salvation if I did not remove my tatoos...goofy legalistic conversations...from someone who does not even believe in our Triune LORD)

If all we had to concern ourselves with are the tattoos that would be one thing, but these are merely additional symptoms to a much more serious problem.

When a person is baptized in water one of the things they are doing is [i]identifying[/i] with Jesus Christ. We are declaring our death to the world and the former life through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We are making a statement. From that point on we are to seek to identify oursleves as disciples of Christ.

To this question do I pose; can anyone imagine Jesus in a tattoo parlor getting a tattoo? What about Paul the Apostle? Paul's markings were the scars of years of abuse at the hands of sinners. Moreover, there is an undercurrent of evil that I see in Todd Bentley's tattoos. I have seen this evil before in many artists. This artword has a darkness about it- even though they claim to be Christians. They look and come off as 'evil' even to a sinner. Even though some are supposed to be 'Christian' or 'biblical', they still have a darkness about them. Same with his demonic looking rings he wears.

The issue at hand is more than a doctrinal stance on essential issues. We are talking about a whole new level of deception. People are starting to think that it is acceptable to [i]mix[/i] light and darkness in their expression of faith. This is what Israel did. This is what provoked God to jealousy so often. Can we partake of the table of demons and the table of the Lord?

Truly it is a sign of the times that we are even having these discussions. Our forefathers and mothers would have rolled in their graves at some of the stuff that passes off as 'Christian' or 'Christainity' today. Personally, I refuse to stand for it! Why? Because souls are at stake. What if some of the people in Hell such as the rich man could come back and relive their lives? Do we suppose he would trifle with such madness? Would he seek to mix Satan and Christ? I dare say he would run as far from hell as he could and all that reminded him of it.

Where does this lust for sin and darkness originate? From whence cometh this mixture? From where is this fascination with darkness and evil? Can a Christian have an appetite for these types of evil things? What if he/she is feeding themselves darkness- can they preach light? I have never seen a rebellious sinner passing out tracts at a rock concert; why? They know what team they are on. Why is it that some people seek to adorn themselves as the enemy? i would not even want to be confused with someone that was in rebellion.

2008/6/10 11:53Profile
Mattie

Re:

I've known men who get tattoos and piercings and use it as a means to become friends with those in that type of crowd. and people repent and become Christians. how do you explain that?

Wisdom is justified by her children.

2008/6/10 12:01Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re: Anything Goes Christianity?

Alright cool, Thanks RobertW

I just always seem to get thrown off when things like tatoos are mentioned. Look at Todd Bently...listen to Todd....Tatoos become the least of our worries, he is leading sheep to slaughter not to the one who was slaughtered for His sheep (Also I am sure people have been saved through his ministry and that saved people go to his church. Just b/c God saves people despite of the building they enter does not mean we applaud or defend a poor or false teacher...I'm sure a few folks got saved by Pelagius but dude was off). So hope you see my angle and know that I do see yours (also I don't know what kind of tatoos he has so my judgement/discernment in regard to his tatoos would not be a valid one; i was just making a generalized statement in my prior post ) :-D Good Day

2008/6/10 12:02Profile
AWA40-2

Re:

[b][size=x-large][color=00CCCC]HAPPY FATHER'S DAY[/color][/size][/b]

[b][color=000099]http://www.tiffany.com/[/color][/b]

What comes in a little blue box wrapped with a white ribbon? Are they beautiful blue and sterling silver cuff lings, or is it a clip with the name Dad on it with a unique signature? Many of the different gifts that are given to a father on this day, from his children and loved one, to describe how, special and loved he is.

Dad walks into the room and is immediately embraced by tender hands and strong grips, he can hardly contain his emotions, he feels the love in the atmosphere and he immediately knows, that this is his day, and that it’s all about him.

After dinner he sits on his chair, to reflect on the meaning of Father’s Day, he is filled with so much compassion, as he reminisces, and begins to question himself, “Why should I be called dad or why should I be called father for that matter”?

Without realizing it, there was someone sitting right next to him, with a still small voice, and the voice begins to speak as the dad listens and sobs, his children rise up and hand him a tissue, as the father continues to listen to that small voice speak and that says;

FATHER

Into your hands have I commanded my Spirit, not my will but your will be done, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for your rod and your staff they comfort me. When I was yet in my mother womb, you knew me and you knew me by name and what I would become in your hands.

Dad immediately opened his eyes and knew in his spirit, who the voice was that was speaking to him that still small voice. His heart was filled with so much happiness, and re-assurance that he was walking in the perfect will, of his father and there was no turning back.

As he looked at his children, with a straight posture he began to teach them of the many fathers in the world beginning with Abraham Lincoln and he quoted this verse;

The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time. In the present civil war it is quite possible that God's purpose is something different from the purpose of either party—and yet the human instrumentalities, working just as they do, are of the best adaptation to effect his purpose. I am almost ready to say this is probably true—that God wills this contest, and wills that it shall not end yet. By his mere quiet power, on the minds of the now contestants, He could have either saved or destroyed the Union without a human contest. Yet the contest began. And having begun He could give the final victory to either side any day. Yet the contest proceeds.

The children looked perplexed as too what all of this meant, and then they smiled and knew what dad meant. That they should not listen with there natural ears but with there spirit and Spiritual understanding.

Dad once again was receiving so much love and affection that his heart was overwelmed at the mere fact that his children knew his voice.

The still small voice spoke once again, and said in you my son I am well pleased, listen to his voice for this is my Son.

2008/6/10 12:02Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Just my two cents...

Romans 14 would seem to apply here. However, with that said, I personally find it worldly, and most tattoo's seem connected to worldly themes.

I find it interesting the Oneness person that somebody encountered here saying that they could not be saved until they had their tattoo's removed. Besides betraying every notion of God's grace in that saying, the idea of getting a tattoo removed is just as worldly as getting one. You cannot get a tattoo removed without going through some lengthy surgery to do such, and even then, there is no guarantee that you will be able to fully remove it. Such will involve defacing the body all over again... one just looks much more outwardly respectable. So, how is removing one any different than getting one?

I know one brother who was saved after he had some profanity tattoo'd on his knuckles. He said he debated a long time about getting it removed. Then he decided not to, saying that those markings reminded him of where he had come from. He never flaunted them, and indeed, was ashamed of them. But, he was much more proud of the God who had brought him out of the miry pit and set his feet upon a rock. He thought of such as his memorial stones.

2008/6/10 12:28Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

While I am against tatoos, would never endorse a Christian getting one, and have a "no tattoos after salvation" policy concerning my ministry team - I find the present, pseudo-discernment concerning Bentley's "skin art" to be disturbing and unbiblical. If you are going to discredit him by saying he teaches unbiblical heresy than do so, and show it through scripture. But to so childishly (and yes I'll say it again CHILDISHLY) pick on his tattoo's is nauseatingly un-christ like.

I have recently been to a website which had a "SHOCKING EXPOSE" (sarcasm in my voice) on Todd Bentley's "evil tattoos". Among the rantings were accusations that his Jesus tatoo had a (GASP) hidden monkey in the beard! Good Gracious! A HIDDEN MONKEY? Also, when Todd Bentley raises his arm upward, JESUS' FACE IS TURNED UPSIDE DOWN! This individual was convinced that this was done to desecrate and mock the person of Jesus Christ. I simply sighed and burned inwardly that this nonsense was actually taking up internet space. Next was the shocking "Medussa" tatoo on his leg. Then again maybe it was a male with large female breasts with pierced nipples that was an obvious nod to homosexuality. Then again maybe it was this . . .

Those were the various opinion given for this tattoo. The disturbing part is that it's relatively well known what the image is and it is none of the above. But did people take time to do the research? No! They just "DISCERNED" that these tattoos had a "dark feeling" to them. Well I think that these criticisms have a "dark and demonic" feeling to them. So whoes to say they're right and I'm wrong. We are both professed belivers, and I am sure we can both produce ample fruit and evidence to substantiate our claim. Yet we both "had a feeling". Last time I checked we walk by faith and not by sight (meaning the senses). Also last time I checked Jesus judged not by what he saw or heard (Isa 11) but with righteous judgments. Unless we can clearly substantiate any of these claims via scripture, than it would be best if we stilled our tongues and entreated our lips to cease their tireless "flapping".

This is not directed at anyone in particular on this forum, so please don't be offended. I'm simply venting my frustrations at the fruitless and unscriptural ways in which we judge one another.

Tatoos are not a disqualifier for ministry. Do I like them, personally no! I think they are gaudy and bear to close a resemblance to the world. However, for some, that thought may not cross their minds and they may receive one completely innocently. I have had individuals on my leadership team who, as far as their Christ-likness goes, are relatively imcomparable. I'm talking some of the most Godly, clean living, soul winning, praying(est) people you will ever meet - some of these have approached me asking if I would have a problem with them getting a tatoo. In their minds it was innocent and they simply wanted to get something scriptural tattooed on them. Of course I discouraged them from this and told them that in our ministry it would not be acceptable. My point though, is that their hearts were pure and right. Had they not consulted me they would have gotten a tattoo and done so as a pure child of God. That would not have blemished them in God's sight one iota. So it is possible to do things in ignorance, or in innocence that others view as vile and wicked. (OF COURSE I'm not speaking of sin - but questionable practices like tattoos...)

Anyways, that's just my two cent. God bless you all dear brothers and sister.

May Jesus Christ receive the full reward of his sufferings of the cross!

-Jeff

2008/6/10 12:30Profile

Re:

Here is the answer on tatoos from the New Testament:

[b]1 Corinthians 10:23-24[/b] [i]All things are lawful for me, but all things are [u]not[/u] expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.[/i]

I think that just about sums up controversial issues such as tatoos, music, etc.

Krispy

2008/6/10 13:18
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I find the present, pseudo-discernment concerning Bentley's "skin art" to be disturbing and unbiblical. If you are going to discredit him by saying he teaches unbiblical heresy than do so, and show it through scripture. But to so childishly (and yes I'll say it again CHILDISHLY) pick on his tattoo's is nauseatingly un-christ like.

If I, as a so-called Christian, tattoo a demon on my body and it does not raise a red flag in your mind there is something seriously wrong with your discernment. If I show you who I am and you still won't believe me, what then? If the man wore horns out onto the platform and someone shouted; "That is the devil!", would you call that psuedo discernment?

Todd Bentley has already given enough heresy to the world. His blasphemous antics are all over the web.

I am not in the least moved by your shouting or accusations. I happen to be in some serious situations among my youth and youth pastors I minister to and among that don't know who to believe about Todd Bentley. The catch phrase is, "This is not Christianity as usual..." and people, coming from Todd Bentley's camp are being telling crowds, "to take the filters off" and do whatever the Holy Spirit tells you to do. Bentley, of course, understands this to mean leg dropping pastors and kicking worshippers in the face.

I will say it again, because the prime subject here is tattoos and their connection with Todd Bentley. He was wearing a shirt last week that read "Jesus loves me [i]and[/i] my tattoos." (My emphasis) Does Jesus really love his demonic overtoned tattoos? I trow not.

Quote:
I've known men who get tattoos and piercings and use it as a means to become friends with those in that type of crowd. and people repent and become Christians. how do you explain that?

I do not believe we have to join the enemy to win them to Christ. I do not have to become a Goth to reach a Goth or a Stripper to reach a Stripper.

The truth is, God cannot please sinners. If a person comes to Christ as led by a person that tried to befriend them through total identification with them, then they came to Christ [i]not because of[/i], but [u]in spite of[/u] the changes. I have heard this excuse used for everything from rap and rock to boombox low rider ministries. "I can reach them if I go into the bars or the mirey places" it is all compromise. In almost every case the people that started back down the old path ended up backsliding.

Someone help me understand why there is such an outcry and defense for worldliness and compromise here on this repentance and revival site? Does none now live that even remember what holiness and righteousness and saparation means? If Finney were to weigh in on this thread what would he say? What about Edwards or Wesley? These were men that would have shunned women wearing make-up. In fact, just 70 years ago in our circles women could not wear make-up as it was esteemed to be worldly.

Look at where we are today and ask yourself where it will all end? When a man can dress like a devil, exhibit an obviously violent means of 'imparting' some something that causes people to writhe like snakes or cluck like chickens, and yet it is psuedo discernment to cry foul? Is violence a fruit of the Spirit? (Gentleness)

2008/6/10 13:51Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Tatoos are not a disqualifier for ministry. Do I like them, personally no! I think they are gaudy and bear to close a resemblance to the world. However, for some, that thought may not cross their minds and they may receive one completely innocently. I have had individuals on my leadership team who, as far as their Christ-likness goes, are relatively imcomparable. I'm talking some of the most Godly, clean living, soul winning, praying(est) people you will ever meet - some of these have approached me asking if I would have a problem with them getting a tatoo. In their minds it was innocent and they simply wanted to get something scriptural tattooed on them. Of course I discouraged them from this and told them that in our ministry it would not be acceptable. My point though, is that their hearts were pure and right. Had they not consulted me they would have gotten a tattoo and done so as a pure child of God.

This is not at all what we are talking about here. We are talking about the floodgates coming down into an "anything goes" form of Christianity, that I would thing, you would desire to try to prevent. I am just stunned how so many are defending these behaviors. At some point, were going to have to decide which side we are on. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

2008/6/10 13:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy