SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Rap??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
JRuth

Moscow, PA

Re:

Non-Christians, when they hear "Christian Rap", don't listen to the words, they listen to the music. And that music is the same thing as what the world plays. If we knew what that music says, I don't think we would listen to it or want others to!!!

We are praying for you!!!

2008/6/9 11:10Profile

Re:

If we took all of christian music and put it on a scale between 1 and 10 according to that which leads to repentance, sanctification and a hungering more for God I would stay with that which is at the higher end of the scale. Why compromise with anything else that falls in between?

2008/6/9 11:12
JRuth

Moscow, PA

Re:

Very good way to put it Rebecca_LF! I totaly agree with you!!!

2008/6/9 11:17Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

Non-Christians, when they hear "Christian Rap", don't listen to the words, they listen to the music. And that music is the same thing as what the world plays. If we knew what that music says, I don't think we would listen to it or want others to!!!

This is not about Non-Christians. This is about we as Christians seeing if it is unbiblical to listen to any genre of music. If it were about non-christian we could use the agruement you used for any genre, country, rock, hymns, and so on. And if you were to look at the lyrics or listen to the lyrics of some of this rap, or some pop..whatever we would want to listen to it, b/c it could be very edifying. Example is I know flame has a rap on how to exgete scripture...that is edifying

2008/6/9 11:28Profile
JRuth

Moscow, PA

Re:

I have had the priviledge of growing up in a christian home and being taught the side effects of wrong. As we would be traveling, as we did alot, when we would pull up next to a vehicle that had their music going, rap or rock or whatever they happened to have, my dad would point out to us children what the music was causing that poor soul to do. And he would say only one sentence, "the natives are restless."
As I grew older and read stories of natives and what they did when they were restless, I grew to understand that there is much more behind music then tones and words. Music is a tool of worship - I pray that I will NEVER use the music of the world (the enemy of God) or of Satan (the defeated foe) to try to praise my Savior who gave His life for my sins so that I could live to praise him!

I would urge anyone to evaluate whether the music they are using for worship is acceptable in the sight of a Holy God, or whether it is only acceptable to the god of this world. ~Jerusala

2008/6/9 11:55Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

What style is biblically allowed??? Is this truly a biblical thing or is this a cultural or (in your case) a family influential thing?

What if God HATES organs and pianos???? How do we BIBLICALLY discern which style of music is allowed in worship?

2008/6/9 12:10Profile

Re:

Quote:

Thommy2 wrote:
What style is biblically allowed??? Is this truly a biblical thing or is this a cultural or (in your case) a family influential thing?

What if God HATES organs and pianos???? How do we BIBLICALLY discern which style of music is allowed in worship?

When I first became a christian I listened to contemporary christian music but it wasn't until I began hungering for more of God that my music style changed. Contemporary music is full of fillers for instance the beat of the music, the many chords and the progression all to appeal to your flesh man. If you were to strain all of those fillers out you would get what is left. It's that which is left that I want more of. It was a sanctifying process in my life and I want to be ever changing towards that which glorifies God.

2008/6/9 12:25
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

"When I first became a christian I listened to contemporary christian music but it wasn't until I began hungering for more of God that my music style changed" -Rebecca_LF

Above is a very subjective experience, and not necessarily based off Biblical authority

Here's a thought
I take the historical-grammatical approach to Scripture. I believe that the reason Cain and Abel were giving sacrifices to the LORD were b/c God had shown his creation (post-fall) that sacrifice was a part of worship.
Now by the time Jacob rolls around sacrificial worship is found in every pagan religion. Pagans are having an almost identical "mass" or "worship service" as that of those who worship the true and only LORD.
So when Jacob annointed the rock, and set up and altar, and put on his "worship service" he was not doing what would have been uncommon to his surrounding culture. Possibly the only overwhelming differnce between his service and that of the pagans within earshot was the NAME he proclaimed. He proclaimed the name of the LORD to differentiate his praise from that of onlooking pagans.
Could we carry this same thought into worship? Would it be biblical to play a polka worship song? Or a bluegrass worship song? Or again is the distaste of a style of music a cultural issue and not a biblical issue?
(Just to re-emphasis I am not defending "christian music" that tries to hide the message in the music, or music that is not theologically rich)
God Bless you guys :)

2008/6/9 13:02Profile
JRuth

Moscow, PA

Re:

[b]Looking at holiness:[/b]

2 Chronicles 20:21
And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever.

Psalm 93:5
Thy testimonies are very sure: holiness becometh thine house, O LORD, for ever.

Psalm 96:9
O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.

Psalm 97:12
Rejoice in the LORD, ye righteous; and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

Zechariah 14:20
In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD; and the pots in the LORD's house shall be like the bowls before the altar.

Hebrews 12:14
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

[b]Musical instruments:[/b]

1 Chronicles 16:42
And with them Heman and Jeduthun with trumpets and cymbals for those that should make a sound, and with musical instruments of God. And the sons of Jeduthun were porters.

2 Chronicles 5:13
It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;

2 Chronicles 7:6
And the priests waited on their offices: the Levites also with instruments of musick of the LORD, which David the king had made to praise the LORD, because his mercy endureth for ever, when David praised by their ministry; and the priests sounded trumpets before them, and all Israel stood.

2 Chronicles 34:12
And the men did the work faithfully: and the overseers of them were Jahath and Obadiah, the Levites, of the sons of Merari; and Zechariah and Meshullam, of the sons of the Kohathites, to set it forward; and other of the Levites, all that could skill of instruments of musick.

Nehemiah 12:36
And his brethren, Shemaiah, and Azarael, Milalai, Gilalai, Maai, Nethaneel, and Judah, Hanani, with the musical instruments of David the man of God, and Ezra the scribe before them.

Psalm 98:6
With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.

Psalm 150:4
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Zechariah 9:14
And the LORD shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the LORD God shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south.

Matthew 24:31
And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

1 Corinthians 15:52
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

[b]What our songs are to be:[/b]

Ephesians 5:19
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

[b]Principle:[/b]

Psalm 119:1
Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.

James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

2008/6/9 15:19Profile
Thommy2

Wisconsin

Re:

So with all of these quotes above are they "prescriptive" or "descriptive"?
Also we have instruments mentioned, but not genres. If a Rap song had awesome lyrics, singing, used a trumpet, and a harp...would it be ok?
I'm asking b/c being young people definatley blow me off as if "I'll grow up and hate all music that the rest of main stream Christendom hates." I don't want to hate what man hates, I want to hate what God hates. We circle believers with an americanized moral ideology and stamp the name of the Lord on it to give it authority. (obivously morals are a huge issue. Many things "Christians" deem acceptable are evil and wicked I am not saying "Live outside of a Biblical boundry..Run be free).

So how would the Bible verses stated above build a case against a certain genre of music?

Thanks Y'all brothers for texting back and forth with me!

2008/6/9 15:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy