SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Do your hands belong to Jesus?"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JRuth

Moscow, PA

"Do your hands belong to Jesus?"

Did you know that your hands are not really yours at all, if you are a Christian? That's right, they are not yours at all!!

"It may seem an odd idea, but a simple glance at one's hands with the recollection, 'this hand is not mine; it has been given to Jesus, and it must be kept for Jesus,' may sometimes turn the scale in a doubtful matter and be a safeguard from certain temptations. With that thought fresh in your mind, as you look at your hand, can you let it take up things, which, to say the least,are not 'for Jesus'? Things which evidently cannot be used, as they most certainly are not used, either for him or by him. Can you deliberately hold in it books of a kind which you know perfectly well, by sadly repeated experience, lead you farther from, instead of nearer to him? ---- Books which you would not care to read at all if your heart were burning within you, at the coming of his feet? Next time any temptation of this sort approaches you, just look at your hand.
Danger and temptation to let the hands move at other impulses is every bit as great to those who have nothing to do but render service, and who think they are doing nothing else. Take one practical instance ---- our letter writing. Have we not been tempted (and fallen before the temptation), according to our various dispositions, to let the hand that holds the pen move or to say a clever and sarcastic thing which will make our point more telling; or to let out a grumble or a suspicion; or to let the pen run away with us into flippant words?
Perhaps one hardly needs to say that kept hands will be very gentle hands. Quick, angry motions of the heart will sometimes force themselves into expression by the hand, though the tongue may be restrained. The very way in which we close a door or lay down a book may be a victory or a defeat."

~as taken from Isabella Alden's "Profiles"~

2008/6/3 12:36Profile
KennLove

Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: "Do your hands belong to Jesus?"

Blessings, JRuth!

Wonderful post that I read with quantitative relish, I thank you for it. I will be seeking out more from the source: Isabella Alden.
Kenn
1 Thessalonians 5:23

2008/6/3 14:17Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: "Do your hands belong to Jesus?"

Your post reminded me of something I read from Watchman Nee...
On one occasion a Chinese brother was traveling by train and found himself in a carriage together with three non-Christians who wished to play cards in order to while away the time. Lacking a fourth to complete the game, they invited this brother to join them. `I am sorry to disappoint you', he said, `but I cannot join your game for I have not brought my hands with me.' `Whatever do you mean?' they asked in blank astonishment. `This pair of hands does not belong to me', he said, and then there followed the explanation of the transfer of ownership that had taken place in his life. That brother regarded the
members of his body as belonging entirely to the Lord. That is true holiness.

Paul says, "Present your members as servants to righteousness unto sanctification (A.V. `holiness')" (Romans 6:19). Make it a definite act. "Present yourselves to God."

-excerpted from The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee

2008/6/3 14:44Profile
JRuth

Moscow, PA

Re:

Thank you for the added help on this thread. I think if every Christain would remember this, we would have a revival!!

JRuth

2008/6/3 18:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy