SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : the House Church Movement in America

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mattie

the House Church Movement in America

George Barna recently wrote a book called "Revolution" stating that many believers are leaving the institutional church and gathering in homes, hoping to recover what the first century had. He has also written the foreward to a book by Frank Viola titled "Pagan Christianity" which attempts to explore the roots of alot of our modern day church methods. Him and Frank, along with a host of many others believe that there will be increasing numbers within America and the world who will return to the home meetings.

What do you think of the house church "restoration" movement? What are your thoughts on leaving "institutional" church? It's been said that this return to the "organic", simple church life is just as radical as the reformation itself. What are your thoughts on these statements?

2008/6/3 9:23Profile

Re: the House Church Movement in America

I dont think it's a good idea at all.

Krispy

PS... just kidding. I'm deeply entrenched in the house church "movement".

2008/6/3 9:56
Mattie

Re:

Thanks for the response Krispy.. But please elaborate as to why...

2008/6/3 9:58Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

A return to the "vine" would be a good thing.
The church has become more about methods, programs,
membership, and less and less about being a
community of believers who serve as the body of
Christ. I came to know the Lord in a small "vine"
fellowship and was greatly blessed and nurtured by
this close communion!!

2008/6/3 10:22Profile
Mattie

Re:

if you look at barna.org - George barna's website - you will see the growing statistics of those becoming apart of house churches

2008/6/3 11:21Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

I hold house church in my home as well. Been doing this or part of house churches for the last 3-4 years.

I am all for it.

2008/6/3 12:02Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

I am all for it!

Have been investigating this for the past three years by reading some books on the issue. Art Katz's book on true fellowship and the vitality he talks about by being earnest and honest with believers on a day to day basis is important to say the least.

In what other context will we enjoy the fulfillment of what Paul talks about,

Quote:
"...When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification." 1Corinthians 14:26 (NASB)

Is this, i ask, being accomplished in our large congregations today?

2008/6/3 13:21Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
true fellowship... being earnest and honest with believers on a day to day basis is important to say the least...Is this, i ask, being accomplished in our large congregations today?

I believe it is, but it isn't automatic and it's generally not found by simply going Sunday morning. If we have the energy and desire needed to start a home church, we certainly have enough motivation to develop deeper fellowships with people at larger congregations. For this reason I don't completely buy the idea that people start home churches to find an intimacy and deeper fellowship with other Christians that was missing in larger churches. I suspect the reasons to start or join a home church are more theological and ideological...which is quite understandable.

MC

2008/6/3 13:36Profile
JRuth

Moscow, PA

I do not think it is a good idea to Home Church!! I have been around them, and I don't think it is a wise course to take!!

2008/6/3 14:09Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

JRuth wrote:

Quote:

I do not think it is a good idea to Home Church!! I have been around them, and I don't think it is a wise course to take!!

Interesting. Why?

2008/6/3 14:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy