SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What I DO as a Christian

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Matthew2323

Colorado

What I DO as a Christian

Quote:
"Christians today are known, not for what they do, but for what they don't do." Oarsman7

In the past we've spent so much time debating on what we shouldn't be doing. How about we start sharing about things we have been doing, and I don't mean in a puffed up, spiritually prideful way, as to keep score on our heavenly brownie points or something. But just praising God for the opportunities He gives us to build relationships with others, whether with strong Christians, struggling Christians, or the unsaved world. Yodi

OK. My "list" follows...

2004/6/25 14:00Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: What I DO as a Christian

What I [b]DO[/b] as a Christian

1. I love the Lord
2. I love my wife
3. I love my 3 children
4. I am my son's first hero and my daughter's first love (that's from a shirt they gave me)
5. I go to work and anxiously wait until I can return home
6. I attend with my family the most wonderful church where I am pastored by a man after God's own heart
7. I pray with my family and I shepherd my flock
8. I pray with my brothers and we hold one another accountable
9. I walk with a spring in my step
10. I smile most all of the time
11. I am at peace when I drive in my car
12. I speak with kindness and grace yet at times my words are seasoned with salt
13. I praise God for His goodness, mercy, faithfulness, loving kindness and grace
14. I praise my wife and children and let them know they are gifts from God and bless me beyond my wildest dreams
15. I read the Bible
16. I read books written by (mostly) Christians
17. I read to my wife and children
18. I help people when I can
19. I gave my lunch to a homeless man once
20. I have had a few (non-physical family) people live in my home
21. I helped a guy, at my wife's urging, push his gas-less car out of a busy intersection, I was then a hero to my children
22. I list to Michael Card CDs
23. I sing (OK, make a joyful noise) praises to God
24. I have taught Sunday School for adults and children
25. I post items on Sermon Index :-)

That's a small sample. My apologies for using "I" so much. I sure had a wonderful time thinking of God's goodness towards me. Thank you for the idea.

Anyone else?...

2004/6/25 14:06Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Matthew, those are encouraging responses.
Lately, these things are on my heart: I repent of my sins, I apologize to God and others when I wrong them. I pray for unsaved, I pray for those who mistreat and persecute me for Jesus' sake. I cling to Jesus, am thankful for Jesus. I strive and agonize in loving God and obeying Him. I give tracts, I give money, clothes, and food to poor, I love enemies. I give my life to God and continually strive to glorify God and die to myself. I pray to not follow the evil desires of my flesh, but to walk in the Spirit. I witness of Jesus in word and deed, especially to the little ones around me in my care. I love God wholeheartedly. Thank you Lord Jesus for saving me and others. Thank you Lord for forgiving our sins. Thank you Lord for promising You will not let Yours be snatched out of Your hand. I am no good, it is only by Your works that I am made right, by the blood of Jesus. All that I do, I know is filthy rags. Thank you Lord, for Your patience with us.

Please continue to help us Lord, and we always give you the glory!!! You are the only one worthy of praise!

2004/6/28 3:20Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: What I DO as a Christian

I didn't even know this topic was started. This was like posted back in June! Anyway, I was really looking for an old topic on discipleship, but this one caught my attention.

I think this would be a good topic to resurrect as I'm starting to read a bunch of what "we [b][i]shouldn't[/i][/b] do's" and a lot of topics revolving around what "other's are doing wrong" and judging who's really a Christian or not. Is this what God wants us to be occupying all our time on? We talk a lot about revival on here, but as it's been said before, revival starts in [b][i]your[/i][/b] own heart. So focus on what YOU [b][i]should[/i][/b] be doing and not on what every one else [b][i]isn't[/i][/b] doing. The best affect you can have on change around you is changing yourself and setting an example and standard for others, not constantly getting after others about what they need to be doing. That's God's job. He's the righteous and fair Judge, not us.

Okay, to add to this topic, here's something I read in my devotions this morning that tells us what God wants us, me, to [b][i]do[/i][/b]:

"Finally (after addressing slaves, wives, and husbands on their responsibilities as Christians), all of you should be of one mind, full of [u]sympathy[/u] toward each other, [u]loving[/u] one another with tender hearts and [u]humble[/u] minds. Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate when people say unkind things about you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. [i]That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it[/i]."

- 1 Peter 3:8-9

2004/8/24 13:39Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

we [b]pray[/b]!

THE DIFFERENCE

I got up early one morning
and rushed right into the day;
I had so much to accomplish
that I didn't have time to pray.

Problems just tumbled about me,
and heavier came each task.
"Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered.
He answered, "You didn't ask."

I wanted to see joy and beauty,
but the day toiled on, gray and bleak;
I wondered why God didn't show me.
He said, "but you didn't seek."

I tried to come into God's presence;
I used all my keys at the lock
God gently and lovingly chided,
"My child, you didn't knock"

I woke up early this morning, and
paused before entering the day:
I had so much to accomplish
that I had to take
time to pray.

Darlene B. Estlow

2004/8/24 15:12Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Nice. Thanks for sharing that poem. It's so true and isn't that hard to do if you do it every morning. Before you know it, it becomes a habit and the first thought that comes into your mind when you wake up in the morning are things to pray about. I can't tell you how wonderful of a start to your day that is! Of course, pray without ceasing. Prayer's not just for the morning, it's for everytime.

Again nice poem. Gonna copy that to my journal. Gonna do that now. :-D

2004/8/24 17:07Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Nice. Thanks for sharing that poem. It's so true and isn't that hard to do if you do it every morning. Before you know it, it becomes a habit and the first thought that comes into your mind when you wake up in the morning are things to pray about. I can't tell you how wonderful of a start to your day that is! Of course, pray without ceasing. Prayer's not just for the morning, it's for everytime.

Again nice poem. Gonna copy that to my journal. Gonna do that now. :-D

2004/8/24 17:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy