SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children...

Hello happy people!

First off, I am not even sure if you guys have discussed this before; if you have may you please refer me to the link of that thread…

My sister is having a baby and she asked me what I thought about epidurals in light of the scripture from Genesis1:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Is it defying God to take pain medication during travail?

Curious

Jimm

2004/6/25 1:43Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children...

Quote:
My sister is having a baby and she asked me what I thought about epidurals in light of the scripture from Genesis1:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

This passage of scripture is not a command but a declaration of what it's going to be like for a women in childbirth. In other words God's not saying that He's commanding that the women is to feel pain as though she's disobeying if she doesn't, but that she's going to feel pain in a natural child birth. I don't think it rules out medication.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/6/25 2:09Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

The chastening experience

Jeremy

I think that makes sense, but is this not a punishment. Say for instance, my Dad declared that he is going to make me work hard for hours (for some wrong I did) by making clip the hedge with some clippers. If I went to buy some electronic clippers that could do the work for me in 30 minutes, I do not believe he would be very impressed. It is not that he enjoys watching me suffering, but I have just foregone the chastening experience on a technicality.

Just my thoughts

James

2004/6/25 3:59Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children...

Quote:

No more that using a tractor rather than hard physical labour is defying God, I would have thought. I think the underlying theme here is not punishment but a heightening of womans awareness of her vulnerability and hence her need of her man.

2004/6/25 6:56Profile
Rahman

Re:

I won't go so far as to say that it's a sin for a woman to use pain medication or have an epidural during child birth but both have their side effects either on the mom, baby, or both ... But I do concider it part of mans constant quest to get around God's mandates regarding how Adamic sin impacts our lives, women's travailing pain in birth, her constant longing after her husband, mans having to earn our bread by the sweat of our brow, and the one that really gets mankind twisted, 70 years of life (more if God blesses) all the while growing older, weaker, diseased, then dead ...

Look at how medical science is trying to prolong life and health past God's mandate of consequences for Adamic sin, look at the drugs they come up with, then look at the side effects to most of these drugs, sometimes (to me) the side effects seem worse that the ailment ... For instance, I have a 73 year old uncle with chronic arthritis who was prescribed a drug that worked wonders for him, only thing is that when I researched the drug it's side effects gauranteed him heart trouble if he took this drug for a year ... This is why I attempt to treat whatever I encounter in the aging process with abstainance from what will escalate it, and natural/herbal assistance when I need it ...

All this to say we can run from the consequences of Adamic sin on our lives, but we can't hide from it as long as we're still here in the natural.

2004/6/25 9:31Profile
moreofHim

Re: children-pain

From my own personal experience (3 children) even with an epideral, You still have some pain! :-? Many times there is much sorrow and pain- even after the baby is born, not to mention emotional weirdness. I say use a tractor if there is one around :-) (Ron's example) Unless the Lord lays it on her heart not to, for some reason.

There are a very few people who have an epidural and everything is a piece of cake- it still is very hard on someone.

Not to dissuade anyone from having children- [b]it is all worth it[/b] or we wouldn't have had more than one.

Blessings to your sister and her baby!!!

In Him, Chanin

2004/6/25 9:35Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: Thank you all!

Greetings and salutations!

Thank you all for your insight…really, I have spoken on behalf of my sister and she wanted me to thank you for your quick responses. Originally, she asked me but we think so similarly on some of these issues that it was really not a very helpful dialogue. Thanks again

James

2004/6/26 4:45Profile
Bub

San Diego, CA

Re:

Jimm,

My wife and I are all for the old fashioned way of Natural Childbirth. You should definitely read up on the effects of an Epidural and how it affects the mother and the baby. Here is a link on what is known as the "Bradley Method" of Natural Childbirth. It's definitely worth looking into not only for the birth time itself but also prenatal and postnatal care. God Bless.
[url=http://www.bradleybirth.com/]http://www.bradleybirth.com/[/url]

2004/6/28 22:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy